News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Mornington Crescent too

Started by elShoggotho, July 24, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Newchurch on October 26, 2012, 07:53:44 PM
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on October 26, 2012, 06:06:13 PM
Quote from: Newchurch on October 26, 2012, 05:28:49 PM
Not too obvious I hope:  British Museum

I am sorry to interject with a request for adjudication, but I always thought the tube stop for the British Museum was Russel Square.

In the meantime, I'm off for a jaunt to St. Pauls

I'm ready to stand corrected, but British Museum tube station was closed in 1933, and so I believe it is eligible under the Great Central Rulebook, assuming that we're including Blake's Commentaries as the definitive guide (and if we're not, we've already hit the platform conundrum).

This is obviously going to affect the next move, but I'm sticking to my guns on this, and so it's Chancery Lane.

Chairthing:  Is this right, please?

Ah. My copy/copies of the rulebook(s) isn't/aren't quite that old, or new (I've got editions from 1873, 1973, 1482,  a 1998, and 2401, time travel, don't ask).

In response I use my knight's bishop move and by reversing the maps I find myself at Blackfriars
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Desirae

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on October 26, 2012, 09:48:23 PMIn response I use my knight's bishop move and by reversing the maps I find myself at Blackfriars

I recall an almost exact situation as this occuring in the (in)famous Torringdon vs Her Majesty case of 1912, which was resolved as per the decision of Lord Justice Justice. The relevant rulings can be found in the 1914 PennyFarthingSixpence Almanac. I believe this reults in the map being flipped over (Correct, Chairthing?), and thus I must pay a blue token and a shrubbery, and with a swift half-pike double twist and crumpet, I arrive at....

Trafalgar Square

Now if you'll excuse me chaps, I believe that that Lord Neslon has a feather in his cap which I must relieve him of.
How do I know you're not a figment of my imagination?

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Desirae on October 26, 2012, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on October 26, 2012, 09:48:23 PMIn response I use my knight's bishop move and by reversing the maps I find myself at Blackfriars

I recall an almost exact situation as this occuring in the (in)famous Torringdon vs Her Majesty case of 1912, which was resolved as per the decision of Lord Justice Justice. The relevant rulings can be found in the 1914 PennyFarthingSixpence Almanac. I believe this reults in the map being flipped over (Correct, Chairthing?), and thus I must pay a blue token and a shrubbery, and with a swift half-pike double twist and crumpet, I arrive at....

Trafalgar Square

Now if you'll excuse me chaps, I believe that that Lord Neslon has a feather in his cap which I must relieve him of.

After consulting with my local shrubber, and cutting down an exceptionally large tree with a Herring I have progressed to Russel Square

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Newchurch

Obviously you'll see that I have no choice but to take you back to Trafalgar Square.  The nearest tube station to the Old Bailey is St Pauls; no doubt we'll see you there shortly.

James Harrison

Unforeseen 150th anniversary drags me to Farringdon Street
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on January 10, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
Unforeseen 150th anniversary drags me to Farringdon Street.  

And an 'unexpected' burst of music from a nearby Saxophonist brings me to Baker Street

MWBailey

Not sure where we are... looks abandoned. there's a diesel something-or-other on a parallel track, complete with a trio of vagrants cooking something foul over a fire in a hubcap... I hereby invoke Spallburger's hobo gambit of 1934m with three tarnished silver tokens and a half-eaten reuben sandwich.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: MWBailey on January 10, 2013, 08:58:10 PM
Not sure where we are... looks abandoned. there's a diesel something-or-other on a parallel track, complete with a trio of vagrants cooking something foul over a fire in a hubcap... I hereby invoke Spallburger's hobo gambit of 1934m with three tarnished silver tokens and a half-eaten reuben sandwich.

Looks like you got lost somewhere in the time tunnels and ended up in the wrong underground railway system. By the sounds of it I'd say you're a depot of the Glasgow underground.  ??? ???

James Harrison

Quote from: MWBailey on January 10, 2013, 08:58:10 PM

Neasden?
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

George Salt

If I'm correct in my interpretation of the cryptic move above (and it seems to obvious to require explanation), then the current new moon permits a new player gambit and a move to Granborough Road.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: George Salt on January 11, 2013, 05:12:38 PM
If I'm correct in my interpretation of the cryptic move above (and it seems to obvious to require explanation), then the current new moon permits a new player gambit and a move to Granborough Road.

I then active my temporal flux capacitor and find myself decelerating at Edgware Road

Hamilton

Hullo fellow travellers,

I would like to advance - Aldgate ,moving swiftly to Tower Hill. I understand this may be radical and ill befits a Gentleman. Fortunately I have of late acquired a reputation as a Bounder and a Cad. I should say that no animal was harmed in any of my experiments and no-one involved was in a position to complain. Fortunately I have taken steps of reparation at Mdm. Strapp's Emporium of Instruction & Nourishment. My exploits on said line have been diaried and will become available to the discerning upon my demise or upon payment of requisite fee (normally equivalent to one months lodging at a Mdm. Strapp's. plus tips), No cheques, bankers draft acceptable.

Yours LH.

Hamilton

Hullo fellow travellers,

I propose to advance - Aldgate ,moving swiftly to Tower Hill. I understand this may be radical and ill befits a Gentleman. Fortunately I have of late acquired a reputation as a Bounder and a Cad. I should say that no animal was harmed in any of my experiments and no-one involved was in a position to complain. Fortunately I have taken steps of reparation at Mdm. Strapp's Emporium of Instruction & Nourishment. My exploits on said line have been diaried and will become available to the discerning upon my demise or upon payment of requisite fee (normally equivalent to one months lodging at a Mdm. Strapp's. plus tips), No cheques, bankers draft acceptable.

Yours LH.

George Salt

As we're playing the 1898 Great Central ruleset, I believe your intended move was Tower of London via Aldgate, but this is tragically invalid as Tower of London closed in 1884 as Mark Lane (later Tower Hill) opened to the west.

Would you care to play the Bounder card and try again?

AngelWithDirtyHands

As it has been two days since the last move, I will assume Hamilton's caddish ways have caught up with him. I propose  St Pauls, (with a quick diversion to the Old Bailey to clear up any misunderstandings) before invoking the Martyrdom Clause of 1782 to head across to St James' Park.

James Harrison

Which in turn neatly allows me to play into Oxford Circus.

Madasasteamfish

I then spin the board to which I have attached my anniversary tube map and the pin lands on Tottenham Court Road

MWBailey

Quote from: AngelWithDirtyHands on February 12, 2013, 05:45:51 AM
with a quick diversion to the Old Bailey...

I'm not that old, I'll have you know...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Hamilton

Quote from: George Salt on February 10, 2013, 10:02:58 PM
As we're playing the 1898 Great Central ruleset, I believe your intended move was Tower of London via Aldgate, but this is tragically invalid as Tower of London closed in 1884 as Mark Lane (later Tower Hill) opened to the west.

Would you care to play the Bounder card and try again?

Sir

I apologise for my tardiness in replying and would have opted to play the aforementioned Bounder card, had one been necessary. Sir, I bow to your knowledge and congratulate you on your indefatigable sportsmanship; I trust you play cricket to an acceptable standard.

The fault in this case, was all mine and mine alone. I should have specified Aldgate East  , which coincidently opened in 1884 as part of the eastern extension. Had the Glenmorangie not been so damned fine, I would have spotted it myself.  A schoolboy error, I know.  I am therefore indebted to you for bringing such laxity to my attention and will endeavour to add discipline to my game. I have Instructed Mdm Strapp accordingly and will accept her chastisement with only a modicum of pleasure.

As a cricketing man myself, I am well aware of the need to polish ones balls before attempting to deliver a googly - if you follow my drift. That said, the game has moved on and I will keep my powder dry for the moment.

Keep up the good work.

L.H.

elShoggotho

BLUG BUGH HARGH BLUUUUURRRRRRGH. HURGH. Ahem.
Paddington.
GUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRGHGH HACH HACH HACH.

Madasasteamfish

In searching for a translator for that last comment I find myself at King's Cross St Pancaras

James Harrison

Continuing along the amusing typo line I end up at Mronington Croissant.  So near, so far  :D

Madasasteamfish

I then play my bounder card and find myself landing at Mornington Crescent.

James Harrison

Chairthing!  Chairthing!!! Do we have a winner?

elShoggotho

BLORGHCH HURF HARF! What a bounder! HUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRCHGHCHGHCH!