News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Log of the HMAS Marigold: The Serpent and Cross (Part Six)

Started by Alexis Voltaire, September 30, 2012, 08:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWBailey

"Mina?"

"Hang on, Sir Rourke"

Suddenly it was as if the slide in a magic lantern were snappedaway and another snapped in place, andhe was behind the figure; now that he was effectively behind the glamour, he could clearly see the bowler, dark suit and white shirtcollar peeking above the coat collar, and smell the man's cheap pomade, plus the sweat-and-wool odors that always seemed to accumulate on people on stake-out. In a trice he had the man down, immobile, and disarmed."Roight. Mina, take 's back--" He cut off as teh scene flash-changed again, and he was blinking in the bright light of Starling's sitting room. "move a hair out o' place, and you're dogbait, mister," Rourke said grimly.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Alexis Voltaire

"What should we do with him?" Felix asked Talbot in a low voice, watching the man Rourke had pinned to the floor closely. "If you want to leave now we haven't got many options."
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Stella Gaslight

Starling set down her bags and leaned on her fancy cane that was topped with a carved tiger."I could cast an image and cause some disturbance.  I have been practising. Some simple ones to scare the boys at the lab.  I figured it would be a better then eyes in the back of my head to keep them in line.  I am pretty good at throwing my image but getting it to walk is tricky. Perhaps the fake me could fly off instead?"
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

walkthebassline

Morgan held his sword close to the man's neck.

"Whatever we do, let's do it fast. This one might mean more are nearby."
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Alexis Voltaire

Somewhere in a deserted back street of London, a man wearing a red robe embroidered with a black symbol walked up a stone ramp from deep underground, and stepped into the gray rainy light of early morning. Beside him strode a huge brownish-gray beast, wolf-like in shape but larger and stockier than any known canine, as it walked its shoulder was even with that of the man next to it. The claws of it's long paws were also longer and more sharply curved than a wolf's, and a pair of heavy ram-like horns curled down around its ears to guard its cheeks.

The beast and blinked in the light as the man patted its huge head. A mark had been branded there long ago between its eyes, now a bald scar in the shape of a cross with an entwined serpent. The same mark that was embroidered on the man's red robe, the mark of the Brotherhood of the Serpent.

He brought a tied silk bag out of the folds of his robe, and took a scrap of cloth from it. The wolf-thing snuffed at the cloth and took it in its teeth, giving a low eager growl and baring its teeth in an almost human grin.

"She must be left alive." The man murmured in the beast's ear. "Kill any that defend her. Now go!" He stepped back as the beast gave several short yelps. Down below its pack mates had also been released, and a half-dozen more gray-brown beasts came at a run up the ramp to answer the call of their leader. They touched noses and snuffed at each other and at the scrap of cloth in the jaws of the alpha, who gave a low wavering growl that the others listened to intently.

Then as one they turned and trotted swiftly away down the alley, silent as ghosts as they followed the faintest trace of scent on the breeze.

The man watched them leave, muttering a worried phrase under his breath. Sending them out in the light was terribly risky, but if their informant was right (and he always had been in the past) the Brotherhood of the Serpent had no time to loose in capturing Starling Scott...

Stella Gaslight

Starling closed her eyes imagining her normal steps for take off from the roof and singing something like a nursery rhyme.  Soon beside her a smoky form started to take shape until there were two Starlings.  She smiled at her double. "Off you get." The other her nodded and rose the floor.  "Wait just a bit for her to get going." There was a loud bang from outside and Starling smiled. "I put my own spin on it. Each time the other me hits something she will brake in to two copies with a bang they are going to have a. Lot of me to chase."  She tucked her hair in and with the paint spattered overalls she looked like a lad or at least enough like one she could slip out without being so noticeable. The bangs were getting louder and louder.  "You may want to plug your ears."

Look for me on Etsy

Cpt Wallace

He knelt down beside the man Rourke was holding.

"Hello David, what business do you have here?"

David struggled to look up into his face he looked scared at the arrayed weapons about him.

"You know I can't tell you John."

"Now David you have to know what I did to Michael at Horseguards, you wouldn't want that now would you? Just tell me what you were doing outside, you weren't following me I'd have know as soon as I stepped out of my home so why were you watching Miss Scott's residence."

He squirmed under the weight of Rourke.

"The Order of Lux Divina is making a move against Starling Scott, He supects the Serpents will make a move too, Sinclair ordered me to watch and to intercept the doctor when she was taken to bring to him."

"How many more are out there then?"

"There's a dozen of Sinclair's knights waiting close by I was to watch and alert them when they needed to strike."

He slid his hand into his pocket sliding his fingers into the Apache revolver's knuckle guard.

"Ok lets get going they knights are going to follow that mimic for a while, Rourke you can let David up he's a spy but he's no fighter I'm guessing he isn't even armed, I'll take him out the back and send him on his way."

MWBailey

"Right you are," Rourke said. Mina, go out and have a look-see. You can foind me again, right?"

"Of course, Sir Rourke, you're like a dark beacon."

Rourke paused only briefly considering the implications of that remark, but pressed on immediately. "let's go," he said, "I can feel a bad stink in the aether. Something bad is either already 'ere, or on it's way. And it's dark, I think." He drew the nunchaku and his service revolver, as they made for the exit. "Talbot, you an' Felix go first, Redburn, you and me last, Miss Starling, stay in the middle..."

Mina popped back into the air outside the house. "Sir Rourke!" she squeaked alarmingly loudly, "Helldogs! coming here, fast!"

"What're Helldogs?" Rourke asked. "whats the matter?"

walkthebassline

Morgan stiffened at the mention of Helldogs. The name itself was enough to inspire fear. He glared down at the man rising from the floor, and resisted the urge to kick him in the jaw. Instead, he shouldered his bag and matched strides with Rourke.
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Stella Gaslight

Outside sounded like a battlefield with copy Starlings crashing around the sky.  People were starting to come out and stare up at the sky and traffic was slowed to a stop.  She could hear the baying of the hounds from far off.  "Perhaps we best flag down a cab and get moving.  I can't outrun whatever that is and I don't want to see it up close."

Look for me on Etsy

Alexis Voltaire

The pack split up when they reached the busier streets, slinking down the rainy alleys in ones and twos to better remain unseen and unnoticed for the moment, but all were converging on one location. Muffled screams marked their passage now and then as they silenced the few people who noticed them and got in the way.

As they neared Starling's residence and the scent became stronger they quickened their pace. The alpha and his mate gave a loud hunting howl and the eager pack joined in...

---

"I'll see to that." Felix said to Dr. Scott, moving to do just that, looking carefully but quickly at the people in the street, and any avenues of attack at the same time. The first cab he tried to flag down clattered and rattled past at a dangerous speed over the stones of the street without even slowing, the tired gray cab horse running as if its life depended on it.

To Felix's great relief another cab was not far behind and coming at a slower pace, and the driver reigned in the nervous horse as they approached.

"Busy 'ere ain't it?" The driver called with cheerful ignorance. "Don't see wha' all the fuss is about meself. Well, get in."

MWBailey

Rourke climbed aboard last, stationing himself on the step besid ethe driver atop the rear of the cab. He Offered a hand to Paladin Wilder, who ha dstuck by the group until that point. "There's room for one more, Wilder, Grab on!"

"No, milor--! er, Sir Rourke!" Wilder said, drawing his blade. "You are my superior and that Of Miss Starling. I stay with Tosser to hold off the hellbeasts." as teh cab drew away, he reached into a plac ethat was not exactly a part of the current dimension, but something akin to a close neighbor -- and pulle dout a massive gun, like a howdah pistol but with a much larger barrel, and a caplock hammer. he strode ove rto stand by Tosser, who drew a similar device from a similar place. One shot each, lad. Let's make 'em count--!" he started anbd gaped as Tosser ran forward with a wild cry, and loosed his shot into the distance. The street echoed with the deafening BOOMM, as a faraway lamppost, bench, and helldog all blew up at the same time, the fireball mushrooming into the air and bits of hellbeast raining down.

Tosser drew a revolver from under his coat, and began firing smoothly at something in the nearby alley. Something that just kept on coming, and finally took him down, ripped him to shreds, and kept going at full gallop, tossing his remains aside and into the air, as it made for Wilder. Rourke watched, horrified, as Wilder dispatched the beast with his own massive handgun, and was then mown down by two other beasts, coming from opposite sides of the street.

"That's a helldog," Wilhelmina's voice whispered in Rourke's ear through Mina's mouth. "I would not wish to lose you as well, but the cab is too heavy, My dear one. Starling must live." again there came the flash-change of scenery, and Rourke stood atop a neighboring building, the cab racing away into the early morning, and Mina shifting her feet on his shoulder "But how'm I supposed ta fight off th' pursuit!?." He made a totally mad plan, then, as he heard the baying of yet more hellbeasts. He made his way to the edge of the roof, and waited until a beast raced from the far end of the alley, and then, in an insane gamble, he lept from the roof of teh building-- and landed astride the beast's back, to the startled and surprised grunt of teh beast as he impacted the thing's spine, just behind the head. Rourke hung on for dear life, Mina flapping madly behind, shrieking about foolhardiness and and humans and Rourke's madness. The thing howled wildly, sounding desperate, and three others suddenly crashed through masonry, fences, and up from an underground passage, making for his mount and himself. He drew his revolver, still loaded with Holywater bullets, and shot two of the beasts, who flew apart into cinders and coals. He shot all but one of his remaining chambers, missing each time, and the beast came on, Rourke's mount also doing its best to twist its head around and snap him off of it's neck. The three of them made it around a corner, but then the pursuing beast ran right smack into a cross-surmounted shrine outside of the back of a small chapel, and disintegrated into a cloud of sparks and cinders.

Rourke laughed and stuck his revolver's muzzle against the head of the beast he was riding and pulled the trigger. He realized that such might not have been such a good idea as he suddenly became airborne amid another shower of sparks, and went over the edge of a curbed back driveway, hurtling down toward the very brick-paved street along which the cab was still fleeing the remaining beasts...

walkthebassline

Morgan sat next to Starling in the coach, his revolvers drawn, but he knew his bullets would have little effect on these beasts.

"Damn and blast. Why didn't I get any of that ammunition from Rourke?"

~ David St. Hubbins

Cpt Wallace

He offered Morgan his pistol

"It's loaded with silver rounds they'll slow them down, enough hits to the chest or head will kill them."

He dug a hand in his pocket and pulled out another small vial.

"Starling give me you coat and then pour this over you, it's the same stuff that Rourke has I'm hoping it will mask you scent."

He unfolded the Apache revolver and opened the door to the cab.

"When you get to my apartment use this key turn it to the left not the right. Weapon cases are in the dinning room."

He passed the key to Starling and held his hand out for her coat.

"I'll lead them away from the cab let you get clear."

Stella Gaslight

"Come back to us after this." Starling said handing over the worn shapeles coat she had meen trying to hode herself with.  "I have 8 shots with Old Betsy but I have no clue what the kick back would do to a carrage.  I hope we are close those hounds are gaining on us."

Look for me on Etsy

walkthebassline

Morgan took the offered revolver and saluted.

"Be careful, my friend. We'll see you soon."

Turning his attention back to the beasts chasing them, he tried to calm his nerves. The dogs were indeed getting closer. One hand held the gun, while the other slipped into his coat and retrieved his flask. With practiced movements he opened it one-handed and took a gulp. Without taking his eyes away from their surroundings he offered some to Starling.

"Care for a sip, my dear?"

~ David St. Hubbins

Stella Gaslight

"Yes please. It is far too early in the morning to be running for my life."  The carrage jolted as. One of the hounds snapped at the horse.  They fell back but only for a moment then they sprung again and the horse went half mad trying to get away.

Look for me on Etsy

Alexis Voltaire

A swipe of one clawed paw tore the door off the left side of the cab as the pursuing helldogs matched the speed of the terrified horse. Felix drew his saber and slashed at the beast in one quick motion as it leaped close again. The helldog yelped and swerved aside, but another was right behind it and gaining quickly.

---

Meanwhile, two of the helldogs were snarling in frustration at falling behind the rest. One noticed Rourke and yelped to the other, and the pair of them began stalking toward their target. They bared their teeth in fierce grins, anticipating an easy kill...

walkthebassline

Morgan had just handed the flask to Starling when the dogs appeared again. He jerked his arm inside the carriage quickly to avoid slashing claws, and calmly took aim at the helldog's head. His first shot was lucky; he knew that for a fact. The dog turned its snout towards him, maw open for a bite, as he let the gun roar. The dog snapped its jaws shut as the first round pierced it, and Morgan's second shot landed between its eyes. It dropped and lay still, but another helldog leaped over its body and continued to pursue the carriage.

~ David St. Hubbins

Cpt Wallace

He slid his cane through his belt then rolled from the cab pulling Starlings coat over his shoulders as he rolled to his feet he fired three rounds into the Hellhound going for the horse the retorts sharp and high pitched, and then he bolted rushing away from the cab for a narrow alleyway, he slid rounds into the empty chambers as he ran looking over his shoulder as the Hellhound turned distracted by his shots which had done little more than scar it's hindquarters.

Stella Gaslight

The streets were full of chaos between the sky full of Starlings, that were getting more and more warped with each divion, and the hounds driving screamong hords of people wildly around.  After going up on two wheels to avoid an over turned cart  the driver was caught by a street lamp and pulled off yelling.  Starling looked at Redburn.  "Well I guess we don't hane to worry abot the fair but I think one of us best het out there quick before the horses drive us in to a building."

Look for me on Etsy

MWBailey

"Now, don't you wish you'd drunk your blood like a good boy?" Wilhelmina spoke through Mina again, as the hellbeasts began to close in.

"never moind th' browbeatin', 'ow'm I gonna get through this one?" Rourke demanded wildly, just as the hellbest on the left pounced.he did the only thing he could think of, what with an empty gun and only his sabe and his nunchaku. He ducked, dove forward, drew his saber with his right hand and managed to pull the nunchaku out with his left while he was in a semi-fetal crouch, spang to his feet fueled by desperation and fear (forgetting the taint's augmentation of his normal human abilities), and surprised himself by vaulting several feet into the air as the surprised beast on the right dove in, and ended up dashing under Rourke. he stabbed downward with the saber and it sank into the flesh of the beast's back.

The thing yowled for all the world like a frightened german shepherd, and sprang clear, and teh first beast whirkled around to face Rourke, who, like the seasoned melee fighter that he was, simply used the momentum of the follow through from freeing the saber, and came around  and punched the hellbeast, hard, right between the eyes, with the saber's hangurd. It worked as if he were wearing a knuckle duster on that hand. The beast literally just sat back on its haunches, shaking its head slowly from side to side, stunned by the blow.

Rourke nearly came down on it with the nunchaku, but the second beast had recovered and was pressing in again, so he brough the chaku up, whirled it for momentum, and brought it down with all of his strength, both natural and vampiric, and smashed the thing's skull. It went down in a heap with a loud WHUFF!, and lay still -- but it's companion leaped in for a dastardly behind-the-back kill. It would have been a truly awe-inspiring strike, but the beast instead met the point of Rourke's saber, which snapped off at the hilt, but also pierced the thing's heart. It also fell to the ground, apparently dead.

"Well, now I'm swordless, me gun's empty, an' th' carriage's long gone," Rourke groused.

"You still have your whirly-thing," Mina squeaked at him.

"Yeah, but how'll I catch up?" he asked somewhat morosely. Rourke didn't pay much attention to the stares the local passersby were giving him, standing in the street covered in beast-blood and holding a nunchaku and a broken sword, but  the whistles of the constabulary, echoing from somewhere nearby, reminded him of the urgency of escaping their meddling grasp.

"Well, Mistress said I could give you a lift. all you have to do is ask..."

"Then I'm Bloody askin!"

Moments later, three bobbies ran up, but stopped short at the sight of the rapidly-decomposing bodies of the two helldogs. They took the statements of onlookers, and noted especially the description of one Airship Corps lieutenant who had stood up to and dispatched the two animals in the street, and after talking excitedly to his pet bat ("an a 'uge bat it were, too, offy-ser"), simply disappeared as if he'd never been there at all...

Cpt Wallace

The hounds chasing the cab paused in their pursuit sniffing the air, their attention drifting from the cab as it pulled away and towards him, with baying howls they gave chase crashing down an alleyway behind him as he wove his way through the debris and litter the hellhounds didn't slow down crushing anything in their way underfoot and they sought their prey, he didn't stop pushing himself off a tight bend he half turned as one of the beasts smashed into the wall clawing wildly as it fought it's self round to continue the chase, he fired six rounds into the beasts face and he flicked the revolver back under his hand as it pulled it's frame round and launched at him, he punched it square in the face allowing power to flow down his arm into the blow which flashed with blinding light and the crack of thunder.

Pain lanced down his arm and he felt muscle and blood vessels tear and burst he roared in pain but the blow did what it was intended to do, the force of the thunder clap pulped it's skull turning it's head into a meat back of shattered bone and brain matter, he turned and fled as the other two swayed their heads from side to side stunned by the noise of the blast, as he went he pulled off the coat and tossed it through a broken doorway of a vacant outhouse.

He reloaded the pistol with the last of his rounds his hand shaking in pained spasms, he gave up after he'd dropped two rounds and pushed the pistol away instead drawing his sword which shone brightly, he heard one of the beasts smash into the outhouse but the other was still behind him he heard it's heavy paws leave the ground and turned watching as it came through the air at him his sword came up punching into the maw and as he fell back the blade sliced through the meat and bone with ease exploding from the back of it's skull pain racked down his sides as the beasts claws tore into his flesh and he heard a rib crack as the hilt of the sword pressed against his chest, as it burned away he pulled himself to his feet flicking the black ichor from his blade he turned to face the third as it tore through the wall, he snarled at it as it lowered it's self ready to charge.

"Come on you bastard, I've done for two of your kind you'll be following soon enough!"

He lifted his left hand up twisting his body so the sword was behind him, light played round his fingers and he allowed power to flow into them, the beast hesitated and he roared at it part in the hopes to scare in but mainly from the pain, it worked the beast was without it's kindred and alone it reverted to it's base instinct and backed away from him, before turning at the first chance and running from him, he lowered his hand doubled over and retched bright red blood before sliding the sword home and pulling the cane from his belt to support his weight, he staggered from the alleyway into a peaceful party of the city and hailed a cab.

"Whitechaple."

He slumped into the seat let out a pained breath.

"Damn that hurt, he rolled his sleeve up his arm looked like he'd plunge it into a fire, black patches covered it from the elbow down looking like charred flesh and blood seeped from slips in the skin around them, his ribs throbbed and blood pumped from his sides his left arm was undamaged but his heart pounded with an irregular beat.

"I need to speak with her before I go out again."

He said to himself as the cab pulled away.

Alexis Voltaire

Seeing that there was no time to waste, Felix moved to the missing cab door and down onto the step. He found himself halfway between there and the edge of the driver's seat, unable to let go to reach either of his blades, when a fierce eager snarl came from just a few feet behind him.

He kicked down hard at the beast's nose but that didn't even slow it down. It lunged at him with teeth bared and the claws of one paw spread wide, only to catch the tip of its curled horn between the spokes of the front wheel as it jumped. The cab jolted dangerously as the spin of the wheel sent the beast crashing head over heels into the stones of the street with a pained yelp.

Felix climbed up into the drivers seat, snatching up the reins just before they slid off the board, and just in time to turn the horses away from a collision with another cab.

Stella Gaslight

She leaned her head out the window and shouted up to Felix. "I think I see the place coming up on the right if we can get in the alley we can climb the fire escape and get away from these blasted hounds."  She pulled Morgan in for a quick kiss and did her best to gather her things and put Thomas in her backpack.  "We had best be ready to scramble.  This is not going to be pretty." 

Look for me on Etsy