News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Rusted relics

Started by selectedgrub, December 04, 2012, 06:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectedgrub

Drew P

Ooo, that may be good for the COE thread. ;)

Liking that trim emblem piece.

:)
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

frances

My goodness, what a horrific grin!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: frances on December 24, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
My goodness, what a horrific grin!

Dear Frances , I  fear all over rural New Zealand there are army fleets   of old  rusting  relic farm vehicle lying dormant  in wait  to come back to life and make their strike.

selectedgrub

Nice.
When I tiki tour I'm always on the lookout.
The back roads are the best traveled.

Quote from: Drew P on December 24, 2014, 01:45:36 PM
Ooo, that may be good for the COE thread. ;)
Bit too young for that crew.  :)
I've got some older in the sitting & rotting photo dump.

Drew P

Yes, you are correct.
Never the less, it is still a COE. :)
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

frances

Don't you do recycling in New Zealand?  All that metal!

Antipodean

Hurricane Annie
Photo No2 is that Smash Palace??
Did you just go PSSSSSSST at me or have I just sprung a leak?

I'm not retreating, I'm advancing in another direction.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Antipodean on December 29, 2014, 09:56:03 AM
Hurricane Annie
Photo No2 is that Smash Palace??

That sounds familiar from where I car jacked  the photo from flickR. Manawatu?

Antipodean

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Horopito/@-39.3434042,175.3794129,523m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x6d6ae43b164391b1:0x500ef6143a2f4e0?hl=en

That will be it - Horopito Motors - there is some good old metal there.
Smash Palace was the name of the movie that they filmed there (Bruno Lawrence).

Did you just go PSSSSSSST at me or have I just sprung a leak?

I'm not retreating, I'm advancing in another direction.

Hurricane Annie

Spooky

Like a Church of General Motors  grave yard  waiting to be re awoken....

jonb

Don't those cars have such pleasing shapes, thank you for posting I love these pictures.

George Salt

Not the most illustrative shot, I had to be careful to exclude recognisable features in the background to protect the location, but rest assured that attached to the visible end of the boom and resting at the bottom of the shallow quarry is an abandoned Ruston-Bucyrus face shovel.

selectedgrub

Beautiful shot.

If I was a kid again, I'd be down that hole making a hut in the cab with friends.

selectedgrub

frances

Oh my, it is a prototype Martian.

Banfili

Like this stuff. Will have to dig out my rusty farm equipment and steam train photos. May also have to make a trek up the road to Lightning Creek and the old mining kit lying around up there.

selectedgrub

Banfili

Won't be until after I come home from Ireland next month, so, 'Patience, grasshopper'!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: frances on December 26, 2014, 07:09:42 PM
Don't you do recycling in New Zealand?  All that metal!

There is recycling here  Dear Frances , though sadly it is not exploited to its full potential.  Maybe it is the extensive land mass and small population.

Or it could be the    "keep it because somebody might be able to use it " hoarding culture as the result of being a far flung antipodean island nation were nearly everything is imported. 

There is a debate  by international visitors that we are still stuck in the post WW2 era

selectedgrub

Quote from: Banfili on April 10, 2015, 12:02:01 PM
Won't be until after I come home from Ireland next month, so, 'Patience, grasshopper'!

Something while we wait, patiently

mizzarrogh

I hope that rush for throwing ewerything away madness will never ever reach to Your country as well, here people even got killed (fox, bu high voltage, falling, etc) when searching for valuable metals and stuff, almost everything with cast iron and rivets are gone long time ago here. I hope You ower there realise what tressure all those things are! Deffinitly deserve better than being re-melted to scrap and sheap junk in a Asian country. Actually, even in that condition wery old cars are worth money for spare parts in Europe since there is so few left.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: mizzarrogh on April 25, 2015, 06:55:36 PM
I hope that rush for throwing ewerything away madness will never ever reach to Your country as well, here people even got killed (fox, bu high voltage, falling, etc) when searching for valuable metals and stuff, almost everything with cast iron and rivets are gone long time ago here. I hope You ower there realise what tressure all those things are! Deffinitly deserve better than being re-melted to scrap and sheap junk in a Asian country. Actually, even in that condition wery old cars are worth money for spare parts in Europe since there is so few left.

Historical bronze statues of mermaids and  native birds in flight  get stolen for scrap. Nothing is sacred here in the search for scrap metal. It doesn't even have to be  thrown away; bolted down installations and equipment is  regarded as fair game. Bus stop seats can be taken from right under you.

selectedgrub

Which statutes are those  ???

Here's a non sacred statue in bronze.
Small town New Zealand. Still there.

Hurricane Annie