News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

What Are You Listening To? Mk. 3.

Started by Rockula, December 08, 2012, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

The Police.

Two albums: Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity

http://youtu.be/ZltgYhe9BbE

J. Wilhelm

Changing pace a little, also back to memories from yesteryear, a song with rather poetic lyrics by the 1980's Spanish synth-pop/new wave group Mecano

Mecano - "Son of the Moon." Live concert with English subtitles (the song may have been covered later by Sarah Brightman, I hear)

Mecano - hijo de la luna + english subtitles

The Gunner

I've been listening to Heather Dale's "Ten Feet Tall" a lot recently. It's pretty awesome:

Ten Feet Tall by Heather Dale with Lyrics

Banfili

Seeing as my primary cd/record player/tape deck finally called it quits today, after a grand service life of 30 years, I'm not listening to anything right now!

Have to shift my bedside cd unit out into the mainstream, & hunt around for a new stereo radio/cd/record/tape player.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on November 10, 2013, 07:48:15 AM
Seeing as my primary cd/record player/tape deck finally called it quits today, after a grand service life of 30 years, I'm not listening to anything right now!

Have to shift my bedside cd unit out into the mainstream, & hunt around for a new stereo radio/cd/record/tape player.

I'm one of those weird people who likes to match old technology to new.  Since I was a teenager I had a collection of stereo systems and such.  I still have a tape deck and an early 1980's Garrard (Gradiente) stereo, but I kept on going with miniDisc, CD, mp3-capable players, digital players of all sorts and finally high grade computer sound cards.

I sorely miss the quality of yesteryears hardware, to be honest.  I'm very pleased with the acoustics of an iPhone by itself, but the docks available to amplify the sound are real bovine manure, so I tend to connect it to a 2000's decade Sony system or my Victorian Boombox which is based around a 2000's computer Altec Lansing subwoofer system.  I'm very picky with my sound.  Somehow portable sound hardware became synonymous with crappy sound and with the advent of the digital formats like mp3 and AAC, people became lazy and complacent about sound quality altogether.

Today I fight that effect by marrying high quality digital equipment to old fashioned analog amplifiers

Anyhow, I was listening to groups dating back to my early years, in particular, Mecano, a somewhat corny Spanish synthpop /new wave/rock band from the 1980's (that you would have never caught me listening to back then when I was a teenager, but eventually grew on me), but I came across this particular song written by them, in which the band members go back to their national roots with a Flamenco style song in lieu of their pop style.  I think for the cover of one of their albums.  I thought it was a good interpretation of Flamenco (live concert in 1991)

Mecano - Una rosa es una rosa (directo - 1991)

Voltin

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

Birdnest

Emer Kenny
Flunk
Jon Anderson
Genesis
Thievery Corp
Sugar Cubes
Tangerine Dream
Onward ho!

Athanor

The dogs of La Manzanilla, Jalisco, singing their eerie music; first one begins yipping, then another joins in, then another, until the whole neighbourhood echoes with high-pitched yips, yaps and yowls, for several minutes; then all is silence again, except for the distant Pacific surf. What sets them off? Who knows? A cat, perhaps, or an iguana? Or just an irresistible urge to sing?

Is it some kind of canine conference? Choir practise? Or an attempt to communicate with entities unguessed at by mere humankind? Whatever, it is a music not meant for human ears. Perhaps they await answering howls from the canine denizens of some distant planet orbiting Sirius, the Dog Star; or, perhaps, a reply from the droopy-eared inhabitants of Pluto, in our own star system, indignant at the demotion of their home world to mere Dwarf Planet status.

We can only surmise, and listen whether we will or no.

Athanor.
Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Verwandlung

Only just realised that Cryoshell released another song.

Cryoshell-Breakout

Voltin

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

Rockula

I'm currently listening to a few advance mixes and bonus tracks from 'Sunday Driver' taken from, or related to, the forthcoming EP (Free downloads for pledgers).
'The Gin Song / Third Class Coffin' , the excellent latest vinyl single from 'The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing'.
'Outside The Box (Original Mix)' by 'Professor Elemental'.
The latest album from 'The Cog Is Dead'.
The new one by 'Birthrite',
New releases by the latest line-up of 'Ghostfire'.
'Elegy (Single Mix) by 'Vernian Process.'
The 'Can't Stop, Shan't Stop' LP from 'Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer'.
'Alamo Rising (Book Soundtrack)' by 'Escape The Clouds'.
The debut album by German Steampunks 'The Violet Steam Experience'.

And lots and lots of new 'Steampunk' related sounds found just by searching YouTube.

Time to prepare another compilation to play in my new car I think. :)
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Voltin

4_0_4

I need my wacky videos as well as music  so lately I've been listening to

Rita Mitsouko- Le petit train

Voltin

Quote from: 4_0_4 on December 01, 2013, 12:52:16 AM

I just had the strangest case of Deja Vu while watching that video. The wackest part is at the 2:00 mark.

4_0_4

Quote from: Voltin on December 01, 2013, 01:24:34 AM
Quote from: 4_0_4 on December 01, 2013, 12:52:16 AM

I just had the strangest case of Deja Vu while watching that video. The wackest part is at the 2:00 mark.

The bit with the perspective shot of the trees behind her and crying ?

not had deja vu in while , in fact not had much of anything.

Voltin

J. Wilhelm

Mr. Voltin's Marriage of Figaro my Mozart remonded me of this scene from the movie Amadeus:

my favorite scene from amadeus

4_0_4

Trying to push myself over the ridge to

escape the abyss..

Voltin

Voltin

4_0_4

Quote from: Voltin on December 12, 2013, 03:30:41 AM

Gizmo Singing

:) I always wondered why there was never a 3rd , but then again I dont think the 2nd did too well - no doubt HW will remake it into abomination too

today Im in the mood for some shameless

French Pop

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

CPT_J_Percell

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com