News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

What Are You Listening To? Mk. 3.

Started by Rockula, December 08, 2012, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cora Courcelle

I know it's not music, but I've been laughing my socks off listening to Bob Newhart routines.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Sir Henry

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on August 15, 2016, 08:21:32 PM
I know it's not music, but I've been laughing my socks off listening to Bob Newhart routines.
I retold as much of the Bus Drivers' School as I could remember to a friend yesterday, much to his amusement.

Ms. Courcelle, I would suggest that you now to move on to Nichols and May for more comic genius of the same era.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Sir Henry on August 16, 2016, 05:45:40 AM

Ms. Courcelle, I would suggest that you now to move on to Nichols and May for more comic genius of the same era.

Thank you Sir Henry, I will certainly do that.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Mme. Ratchet

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Sir Henry on August 16, 2016, 05:45:40 AM
Quote from: Cora Courcelle on August 15, 2016, 08:21:32 PM
I retold as much of the Bus Drivers' School as I could remember to a friend yesterday, much to his amusement.

The Undertaker sketch - oh my......

Sir Henry

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on September 19, 2016, 02:49:29 PM
The Undertaker sketch - oh my......

There are quite a few more here. Be warned - you may get stuck listening for a while...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.

J. Wilhelm

Meh! Why not? Let's throw some more cheesy Disco Jazz... Actually this'd be a Latin/Jazz/Disco fusion. Herb Albert's "Rise," from 1979. A song grossly overused commercially around the world - so older folks may have heard it. Load up on sugar, grab the keys to your Ferrari 308 (and your Carrera sunglasses), and drive down to Malibu for your nearest key party!  :P  ;D

Herb Alpert - Rise

~ ~ ~

How about some more time travel? Continuing with the Disco theme, a rarity and cult classic of a song that only 70's hard-core Disco aficionados would possibly recognize, the French "Early-Synth/Proto-Techno" Disco band "Quartz" (Didier Plus, Laurent Taieb and Patrick Langlade), with the 1978 self titled album and song. The Vogue/Marlin/Musart album only had 4 songs!

"Quartz" (Warning: this is a 12-minute long Disco tune).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNwK7-4cMc

"Beyond the Clouds" (5 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLnZSjMvXBI

"Chaos" (6 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g892od6774

And the fairly nice theme "For Germione" (A more manageable 4 minutes). Which had a distinctively similar flavour to Vangelis' song themes of the early 1980's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhK0-iJiveM

EDIT:

I also found another rare 1977 Disco album, "Deliverance" by the French band "Space." These two albums (Quartz and Deliverance) seem to be tied in period, and are considered underground classics precursors of Electronica music, and some are calling this genre "Space Disco." Again, I can hear a lot of Vangelis in these songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBNqkB0_Ueo

morozow

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Sir Henry

J. Wilhelm

Banfili

Rain on a tin roof - nothing like it!

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Banfili

morozow

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Banfili

Still more rain on the roof - thunder and light show and all!

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sludge Van Diesel

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj

Kensington Locke

having just ventured into finding steampunk music, I am working on digesting Steam Powered Giraffe, The Cog is Dead and Abney park.

I like 3 songs from SPG (Brass Goggles, Suspender Man and Automatonic Electronic Harmonic).  The rest tend to be too soft and mellow, like listening to ColdPlay which puts me to sleep.  Their craftsmanship is good and the videos are excellent.  Just not all my cup of tea.

Abney Park is about 50/50.  Some stuff is too electronica and feels less steampunky to me.

The Cog is Dead hits the spot for most of my preference.  About 80% are songs I dig.

While using Pandora and YouTube to sample, they tend to randomly inject other stuff.  I liked The Last Steampunk Waltz (forget who made it), wasn't as keen on Something Wicked (this way went).  vocals weren't to my taste.

I've also seen some good examples of how to SP my Squire Strat I've had disassembled, waiting for inspiration to strike me.  I had just planned a paint job, but now I got me some ideas for knobs, levers, meters and brass tacks....

Harvey Midnight

Quotehaving just ventured into finding steampunk music, I am working on digesting Steam Powered Giraffe, The Cog is Dead and Abney park.

Yeah, those are, I guess,  the most well-known Steampunk bands.  I've been listening to Steam Powered Giraffe for about two years now... only recently got into the other two bands-- I feel the same way you do about the other two;  The Cog Is Dead most definitely have a sense of fun; I love the voices John Sprocket does! He seems to be doing an absolutely PERFECT impression of Orson Wells, in the song 'Blood, Sweat, and Tears'. I think you and I have similar tastes... except I like Steam Powered Giraffe a good bit more than you do. :)

If we do have similar tastes--- lemme tell ya, you might also like 'Professor Elemental'; he has appeared on songs with both Steam Powered Giraffe and The Cog Is Dead; I like him a lot because of how funny he is!

Professor Elemental - I'm British !!!

Here's the song he did with The Cog Is Dead:

The Cog is Dead - The Gumbo Song (audio) Feat. Professor Elemental

Also---  embedding youtube videos is simple here; just post the link in your comment and remove the "s" from the "https:" portion, so it's just "http:"

Harvey Midnight

Anyway.. onto what I am listening to!

I just discovered Dan Levinson, a leader of several bands devoted to playing music from the 1910-"teens", 1920s, and 1930's:

Peter Gink

At the Codfish Ball

Bethena

Kensington Locke

Ah yes, my wife has had Professor Elemental on her play list due to his tea song (she worked at a tea store for a while) for a few years.

I tend to like choruses, deep voices (or at variance within the song), and a swing beat.

I need to go strolling through this thread to pick up some more artists to check out (obviously, I hit the big three because they are easy to discover).

SeVeNeVeS

Just found this lot by chance, bit folky, bit rocky, a bit of banjo (Mandolin?) and bagpipes, to me could be accepted as Steampunk music? maybe?

Irish Moutarde - Raise 'Em All 2013 (full album)I can just envisage, once the tea duals are over and the gin starts to flow from the bar, more than a few people jiggling about, bustles a flowing and uniforms a twirling............??  :-\

Harvey Midnight

I only recently discovered the 'New Albion' trilogy; three operas: one each of steampunk, dieselpunk, atompunk. I heavily prefer the first installment-- the steampunk one, of course---  "The Dolls of New Albion".

Found a great stage version on the Youtube; better instrumentation than the album version imo, and produced by the composer himself:

Dolls of New Albion - A Steampunk Opera

Very moving story, mostly about several generations of people making very bad decisions over unrequited love. But I do still snicker at the line, "I would have had the lime pie, but I was dying inside."

J. Wilhelm

1960's and 1970's Japanese music

Kimio Eto featuring the Koto string instrument

Kimio Eto - Koto Music

Japanese group playing 1970s jazz using traditional Japanese instruments

Minoru Muraoka - Bamboo (1970)