News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.

Started by Mr Addams, February 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric T Paradigm

Mulling over the problem of "shooting whilst scooting" in any steam western Nerf mayhem, last week I have come up with a possible partial solution to my problem. (Specifically, the problem of how to shoot more than a single Nerf dart with my left hand when my right hand is needed to control the mobility scooter. Not the other problem involving wet lettuce, obviously.) The supermarket was selling the Nerf "Stockade", which uses the power of Volta's electric storage cells to propel the darts and permits 10 darts to be fired without any reloading activity. (I had hoped to be able to use Voltaire's electric piles but although this seemed funnier, it was less effective.) Having procured said non-lethal weapon (NLW), I have indeed found that left-handed multi-shot dart-apocalypse (exaggeration may just have crept in here) is possible. The slight downside is that the range of the NLW is much less than any other spring-powered Nerf gun that I have.
The question I have at the moment Is therefore would anybody mind if I got (very) close to other participants before releasing a hail of low-powered darts in a steam western shoot-out?

Or perhaps a separate shoot-out for any participants using puny electric Nerf guns?

As I said, only a partial solution......

I'll get my (frock) coat!
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Fat Spider

Can't you attach something like a riot shield to the front of the scooter then speed forward as an apocalyptic hail of deadly foam ricochets from it, arriving just in time to fire a single deadly shot as your opponent runs out of ammo  8)

You could always spike the judges tea so they're too merry to notice the shield ;D

Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Fat Spider on June 15, 2013, 09:44:11 PM
Can't you attach something like a riot shield to the front of the scooter then speed forward as an apocalyptic hail of deadly foam ricochets from it, arriving just in time to fire a single deadly shot as your opponent runs out of ammo  8)

You could always spike the judges tea so they're too merry to notice the shield ;D

Some great ideas there, Mr Spider. Perhaps, rather than a riot shield, a Ned Kelly-style armour would be a good idea. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly#Armour) It may not be American West but would be OK for Australian 1870-1880 period. The idea for spiking the judges' tea sounds equally promising!
Eric T. Paradigm
Hampshire

Fat Spider

Ned Kelly style armour sounds an excellent idea, though could be a little warm for the second week in September ;)
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

IGetPwnedOften

The Ned Kelly armour is indeed a splendid idea, but if I may offer an alternative view on the shield idea proposed earlier...

Last year, at work I was given a number of oversized Velcro patches that were designed as marketing material for the less-than-stellar Medal of Honour: Warfighter that we released. My son thought they were great and so I made him a tactical shield with the opposing Velcro on it so he could swap out the badges:

Anyway, the point being that the slot on the side of the shield is designed to secure the slide of a shotgun, so the operator can hook the gun into the slot and work the pump-action with one hand. Perhaps you could do something similar but to work the slide on a Nerf gun while still providing cover.

This shield is about 16" wide and 24" high, but obviously you could make it any size you require.
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Aubreay Fallowfield

Ive just visited the ranch house in Netherton Dudley and found the owner really helpful and the prices looked very reasonable. Although not of that much use to my character I thought someone here might appreciate a friendly shop.

www.ranchhouse.co.uk

:)
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Sebastian Dante

I'm planning a Bounty/Monster hunter outfit for one of the days at this years Asylum. The original idea was Dieselpunk, but it is swinging more and more towards a Weird West look. I may have to join you chaps if an Asylum meetup is being planned

Capt. Dirigible

I think I can say that I am now all sorted for  Weird West Saturday at Asylum!
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Engineer

I'm keeping it simple, so have been ready for some time now. Just say the time, place and any plans to do things when we meet.

Eric T Paradigm

Also ready for Weird West Saturday, especially since I have worked out a technique for multi-shot with a Maverick using one hand only.
Eric T. Paradigm
Hampshire

Engineer

I'm getting inspired by watching the original Wild Wild West series starring Robert Conrad on YouTube :)

Fat Spider

Are we having a shoot out at High Noon ;D
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Fat Spider on August 14, 2013, 09:50:38 PM
Are we having a shoot out at High Noon ;D

It would certainly give everyone a good appetite for lunch! Nerf mayhem as an apéritif probably even trumps a glass of amontillado.

It may be a good idea to wait until the programme for Saturday is available before deciding on a time so as to avoid missing some other event we would like to attend.
Eric T. Paradigm
Hampshire

Doctor Cogg

Greetings and good evening to one and all. I have just joined your esteemed little group and found this particular thread very interesting as I have been and still am a dedicated Western re-enactor as well as a Steam Punk fan. To combine the two would be marvelous as I have all the correct gear and weaponry for both. I live in the North West of England near Warrington, Cheshire. Are there any others here about?
Kind regards, Dr. Cogg.

Major Willoughby Chase

I have such a beautiful outfit all lined up, however I am now working on Dr Geof's stall for the weekend, so my symphony in white and silver shall have to be put off for another time.   :'(

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Major Willoughby Chase on September 07, 2013, 07:16:12 PM
I have such a beautiful outfit all lined up, however I am now working on Dr Geof's stall for the weekend, so my symphony in white and silver shall have to be put off for another time.   :'(

That sir, is a tragedy.......   We will raise a glass to absent fiends....

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Major Willoughby Chase on September 07, 2013, 07:16:12 PM

Oh that's a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing that, Willoughy. Can we assume then, that you won't be seen much around the Victoria during the day if you're on Dr Geof's stall?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Doctor Cogg

Rockula

Quote from: Doctor Cogg on September 09, 2013, 09:55:36 AM
No one around my area then?    :(

I'm sure there are. Possibly members, or ex-members, of the 'The Liverpool League of Gentlemen and Extraordinary Ladies' could point Doctor Cogg in the direction of like-minded individuals in his area?

But does 'The Liverpool League of Gentlemen and Extraordinary Ladies' still exist?

I will try to contact a member and get back to you.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Doctor Cogg

Many thanks, Rockula. I appreciate it, sir.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Still going...they recently had a Tweed run...

facebook group here.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/llogael/

SteamBlast Mary

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Mr Addams

Sadly, due to severe cashflow problems over the past year, I have not been able to get any western kit together. So I am afraid that I shall have to drop out of the shootout.  :'(
However I will be with you all in spirit, (And probably a camera.)
There is always 2014.

Sebastian Dante

What are the plans for the shootout? I'm a first timer so I may need plans explained in words of one syllable. Would be much appreciated