News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.

Started by Mr Addams, February 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buford whitesmith

Hi everyone,

I would like to join any events with a western steampunk theme and will be attending both the Steampunks at the seaside and asylum events this year in my steamsona of Lincoln County Sheriff Buford Whitesmith. I think it would be great if we could round up a posse for the parade or fashion show.

In terms of clothing and armoury I got my 1850 replica trousers and waistcoat from a UK company but regret that I would not be able to recommend them!

I have a replica engraved navy colt (1850), Holster and dummy bullets that I purchased from  a UK company "Regalos Limited" who were excellent. I can also recommend a young man called Matt who has a shop called arcane armoury on Etsy - (http://www.etsy.com/search?q=arcane%20armoury&view_type=gallery&ship_to=GB&ref=auto3) Matt will make anything you can design for you and he was at the Asylum last year. He has made me a walking stick snipers rifle that converts to a hand gun with telescopic sights. A really good place for hats is "Village hats" - again great service and quality.

One word of warning if you are thinking of getting any replica firearm is that it is my understanding that pre 1870 replicas are permitted but should not openly be carried in public other that as part of an re-enactment group or filming enterprise. They are OK at private functions but should not be brandished in public where they may cause you to come to the attention of the modern law enforcement chappies.

Trying now to find some trousers in the style of "gangs on New York" to mix in some eastern theme to my outfit. I have found some patterns of 1850 trousers so may have to talk Lady Catherine into getting out the old needle and thread!

Engineer

@ bulford whitesmth

Agreed regarding carrying of replica firearms, although if we are on a closed event site (e.g. Camber) or are invited 'exhibitors' the problem becomes less so.

You will see that the general tone of the conversation regarding Lincoln is that we arm ourselves with soft dart (Nerf) guns rather than replicas of real guns.

Engineer

... and this is the Nerf & holster I will be using (please excuse duplicated photos from the guns thread in Anatomical:

Spoiler: ShowHide

immortalis

Nice holster and nerf paint job  :)  I have 2 nerf pistols, 1 rifle and 2 holsters to get done  :'(  Always with the last minute rush really need to get this organising thing sorted.

buford whitesmith

Nerf gun ordered - just need to follow the simple instructions to take apart, paint, put back together again and find a suitable holster. - not likely in time for camber sands but plenty time for the Asylum.

ladyraygun

What would Hugo do?

Fat Spider

Quotepre 1870 replicas are permitted but should not openly be carried in public

And on top of the caution you end up with a ruined day out and the "weapon" confiscated :'(

For my first outing I bought a cheap plastic gun from evilbay and steamed it up a bit, although it was more like Dirty Harrys 44 Magnum than Wyatt Earps Colt :-[,

I too have a Nerf Maverick on order and I'm looking forward to to giving it at least a steamy paint job.
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Rockula

As this is Steam Western I think a 'modded' Nerf or home made gun would probably be more in keeping with the Steam part, unless other Steamy objects or apparel is evident.
Otherwise, if you're just carrying a cowboy gun it'd be just Western. Right? :)
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Argus Fairbrass

Well you could always just stick some copper pipes, drill bits and other doodads on a replica prop gun. After all it was good enough for Jonah Hex apparently.

And if you were wondering where the cylinder on the LeMat got to, fear not for nothing was wasted...

I find it kind of sobering to think that someone probably got paid quite handsomely for doing that.
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

IGetPwnedOften

I have to say all of those props look half-finished to me - not massively impressed I'm afraid.
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Mr Addams

I am guessing that those are not "Hero" props, but rather props used for set dressing in the background. It is a while since I saw Jonah Hex, but I think that I recall a scene in a weapons makers workshop or something similar. I suspect that these are examples of weapons made as cheaply as possible to fill in the back of the shot.

Argus Fairbrass

Precisely right, but they're still pretty bad. Still you can't blame me if I've become a bit more discerning about standards of prop making, after all it's you guys fault.  :D
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Engineer

So, for those of us going to Camber, in the absence of any timetable where and when do we meet up? Perhaps at the bar at high noon, but on which day?

TimeTinker

Quote from: Engineer on March 18, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
So, for those of us going to Camber, in the absence of any timetable where and when do we meet up? Perhaps at the bar at high noon, but on which day?

The timetable is available on British Steampunk Community and on the seaside page of the Asylum website.  http://steampunk.synthasite.com/seaside.php

You may be interested to note that there is a discussion scheduled about style themes in Steampunk (including steamwestern) at 3pm on Sunday.
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

immortalis

The fashion meet up does sound like a good place on the sunday at 3pm, so does high noon maybe on the Saturday but we do have a workshop with Herr Doctor at 3pm so could be a short meet up before the sunday show :)

cant wait my wife and myself are like children on Christmas eve  ;D

Engineer

Quote from: immortalis on March 19, 2013, 03:04:19 PM
The fashion meet up does sound like a good place on the sunday at 3pm, so does high noon maybe on the Saturday but we do have a workshop with Herr Doctor at 3pm so could be a short meet up before the sunday show :)

I suggest aiming for Saturday 12:00 at in the show bar. Tinker says it is more than big enough for us to meet and not disturb the writer's gathering on at the same time (giving an hour for us to meet before Herr Doktor's talk). Anyone else for meeting up then?

IGetPwnedOften

Would spectators be allowed? I ask in case this might be something my son would be interested in seeing.
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Engineer

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on March 19, 2013, 09:52:21 PM
Would spectators be allowed? I ask in case this might be something my son would be interested in seeing.

Can't see why not - the object of the exercise is partially to garner interest from other steampunks :)

Mr Addams

Quote from: Engineer on March 19, 2013, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on March 19, 2013, 09:52:21 PM

Can't see why not - the object of the exercise is partially to garner interest from other steampunks :)

It is unlikely that I will have full Steamwestern costume together for this event, If we do have a meeting it would be open to everybody who is interested, regardless of weather they want to take an active role, or just have an interest, costume optional.
Looking at the timetable, 12 Noon on Saturday is as good a time as any.

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

immortalis

I concur high noon it is Saturday ;D  All welcome

Capt. Dirigible

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Mr Addams

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 20, 2013, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: Rockula on March 20, 2013, 01:43:19 PM
Steam Vaquero is go!  ;D

Pauncho Villa! ;)

I hope you have your badges!

Badges? My dear sir, We are not required to display any malodorous insignia!

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Mr Addams on March 21, 2013, 05:13:18 PM
Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 20, 2013, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: Rockula on March 20, 2013, 01:43:19 PM
Steam Vaquero is go!  ;D

Pauncho Villa! ;)

I hope you have your badges!

Badges? My dear sir, We are not required to display any malodorous insignia!
Not the response I was expecting but that's close enough! ;D
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Herr Döktor

Stcky'd the topic following discussion at Camber.

:)