News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.

Started by Mr Addams, February 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

Quote from: Herr Döktor on March 25, 2013, 12:27:25 PM
Stcky'd the topic following discussion at Camber.

:)

Much obliged, Pardner.  ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Herr Döktor on March 25, 2013, 12:27:25 PM
Stcky'd the topic following discussion at Camber.

:)
Not sure I quite follow your banter, sir. "Stcky'd"? Sounds a trifle mucky after I passed it through my human-to-cyborg translator. (But then my babel fish did not pass its medical after the last time trip.)
Did the discussion arrive at any ideas for Steam Western activities at the Asylum?
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Engineer

Quote from: Eric T Paradigm on March 25, 2013, 10:02:37 PM
Did the discussion arrive at any ideas for Steam Western activities at the Asylum?

About a dozen of us turned-up for the informal gathering at Camber. On that basis we have a core of people wanting to do something in this sub-genre. We have targeted Lincoln as a definite date to be ready by and now need to discuss practicalities and what we can and cannot do with Major Tinker at that event.

Major Mechanism

I think a fast draw would be one idea. But not with my solid brass peacemaker!!! :o
... otherwise known as Dr Heiros Tatscown D'Rele

sebastian Inkerman

I have a couple of steam western looks that I've been developing and over the past year, I have been looking a little more seriously into the weird west thing. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the meet at high noon at the seaside due to other commitments but I was in my gambler's suit with my Doc Holliday (tombstone) shoulder rig on, so was with you all in spirit.

Capt. Dirigible

Quotewith my Doc Holliday (tombstone) shoulder rig on,

Oh that is such a cool holster. I didn't see you wearing that or I'd have  got all jealous.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 27, 2013, 01:40:02 PM

Oh that is such a cool holster. I didn't see you wearing that or I'd have  got all jealous.

Er, any chance of a picture?

;)

Fat Spider

QuoteDoc Holliday (tombstone) shoulder rig on

"I'm your Huckleberry"  ;D ;D ;D

Class film

EDIT: I even found the clip
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Fat Spider on March 27, 2013, 03:50:39 PM
QuoteDoc Holliday (tombstone) shoulder rig on

"I'm your Huckleberry"  ;D ;D ;D

Class film

EDIT: I even found the clip

Love. That. Film.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Engineer

Doc Holliday looking rather too much like Kit Cox!

Photofishboy

I too managed to fail to attend the High Noon meet at Camber, but was sporting a western outfit on the Saturday. I will endeavour to make more of an effort to organise myself if something is arranged for The Asylum...

sebastian Inkerman

Unfortunately, I didn't get chance to take any photos. Unless anyone got one of me on Saturday during the day...

After doing a bit more research today, it appears that he actually wore two different shoulder rigs during the course of the movie. Not sure why though.

Next time I'm in that particular outfit, I'll get some pics.

SteamBlast Mary

If we're looking for a suitable soundtrack, may I recommend "The Copper War" by The Cog is Dead?

The Cog is Dead - 04 The Copper War

... although my favourite "cowboy" piece of music is still the bar-piano remix of the Red Dwarf theme from Gunmen of the Apocalypse episode. [filmed at Larado, the western town which has been bought up in discussion before.]
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Fat Spider

I shall have to order that album ;D

But having recently played  Fallout New Vegas (twice trhough) I've had Marty Robbins Big Iron stuck in my head since, I think some enterprising Steampunk band should do a cover 8)

I even found a cool animation

Marty Robbins - Big Iron made with The Movies: Stunt & Effects
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Argus Fairbrass

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Engineer

Another piece of steampunk music that would be appropriate is the Clockwork Dolls' "The Ballad of Black Jack Jezabel". Why do I always assocociate this track with Steamblast Mary?

Lucy Lockhart

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)

Engineer

I saw the Spaghetti Western Orchestra Play Albert Hall as part of the BBC's Proms season :)

sebastian Inkerman

Quote from: Herr Döktor on March 27, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 27, 2013, 01:40:02 PM

Oh that is such a cool holster. I didn't see you wearing that or I'd have  got all jealous.

Er, any chance of a picture?

;)

Not me you understand, but that's the picture that I fashioned my holster rig from

Spoiler: ShowHide

And this is one of me in  the gambler outfit wearing a low slung quick draw rig.

With a closeup of the quick draw rig...

If i remember, I'll get some pics of the shoulder rig tonight on the mannequin.

Mr Addams

Due to ongoing computer problems, this is the first chance I have had top post since before camber.

at the meeting, I bought in the pair of Nerf Furyfire "Ten Shooters" that I bought on ebay.

I think that if we are working towards a Nerf Shootout at this years Asylum, a priority has to be identifying models that have a look that is suitable for the Steamwestern imagry, and modding andor painting to get the right look.

I think that the Nerf Rough Cut

And the Nerf Barrel Break IX-2

Both fit the bill.

The Spectre REV-5

Also shows promise.

I took the time to talk with Tinker about the use of Nerfs. The prohibition of battery powered guns has nothing to do with event insurance, and was purly a measure to ensure balance in the Steampunks V zombies game. So there is scope for anyone who wants to try their hand at the Nerf Vulcan Gattling Gun Mod.

Gatling Nerf Vulcan

[Vulcan project] Nerf gatling Vulcan auto test

Fat Spider

Sounded more like my camera in burst mode :D

But my Maverick seems inadequate now :'(
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Mr Addams

Quote from: Fat Spider on April 03, 2013, 06:34:21 PM
Sounded more like my camera in burst mode :D

But my Maverick seems inadequate now :'(

There is a mod for ramping the fire rate to 500 rpm, but that just seems a bit excessive to me.

Argus Fairbrass

This is Hugh Jackman's revolver from Van Helsing. A tad classier offering than the Jonah Hex examples. I like the way they've included a Webley cylinder.

Still along with the crossbow it perhaps has some design ideas that could be applied to a Nerf.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

IGetPwnedOften

Someone has beaten you to it - I don't know the name, but there was a chap in Camber with a splendid crossbow mod on a Maverick.

As for guns for Steam Western, if it hasn't already been mentioned, you might consider the Lanard Rotator X-8:

They can be expensive and hard to get hold of, but of all the dart guns I've seen I believe it would be a suitable contender. I'm awaiting one from Amazon and it will get the attention it deserves when it arrives.
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."