News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The 2d Art Thread

Started by Andy_W, September 28, 2007, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sr. Mockingbird

Quote from: AFGNCAAP on November 15, 2007, 05:30:39 AM
I just got another idea (uh-oh): What if, instead of a jar, the brain was kept inside the dead skull of the person to whom it belonged? The skull would have glass built into the eyes, etc, to make the skull able to hold fluid and, of course, the brain. Perhaps those tiny windows would emit a dim greenish glow, making it almost seem as if the eyes could still see...through them, one who looks closely might catch a glimpse of the living brain within this dead shell, pulsing with thought. If you want, you can add the whole rest of the skeleton to this configuration and have it stand ominously in a corner. If I wrote it like that, I would eventually have someone very mad give the skeleton a means to move around (Clockwork built into the ribcage? Pneumatic joints?). The result: my dream lab assistant, or one eerie character.

I warned you.  :P

After I read this I just had to at least attempt at a drawing. Here is what I came up with:

I know it's rough, but what do you guys think? His limbs are controlled by wires that are retracted extended and retracted. You might not be able to see, but he's supposed to have a boiler on his back. Oh, and part of his skull is open and cased in glass, exposing his brain and one eye to plain view. The other eye is mechanical and attached via brass plates to his skull.

polyphemus

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."

Commander Obadiah

This is madness! I love it!

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Steampunk Cybernaut

Not sure where else to post this:

This is like most of my doodles: ballpoint pen.  I did a smattering of pencil shading, then scanned it into photo studio for about five minutes worth of tweakage.

Anyone else doodle or do a full-blown personal logo/moniker?

I'd love to see one and all...

--ijw

AllOfUsAreLost

Speaking of doodles.

I've been trying to emulate the style of all the classic drawings in old books, that are just simple black and white, and line-shaded, and so i figured why not start off with something i know and love, hah. Flying Fortresses!

If the style attempted isn't clear, i meant things like this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

I don't know where that comes from, but it was the first good example on Google, lol.

Daefractus

I do not know how much it steampunk, but all the same I shall show)

zircher

Fun stuff, I particularly like the guy that's a cross between Frylock and the Wizard of OZ.
--
TAZ

ariane

Hi everybody,
I am new in this forum and simply want to do three things:
1st: Say hello, because I often look in this very fascinating blog and think it is nice to say "Hi - I like all that stuff"  :)
2nd: Show you one of my paintings because I think it corresponds with the video of the French musicians in the blog

3rd: Wish you a good time so far
Although I can't help feeling like saying: "...and now to something completely different" because most of the artwork here is completely different ;)
Byebye
Ariane

Steampunk Cybernaut

Quote from: ariane on December 05, 2007, 08:33:36 PM
Hi everybody,
I am new in this forum and simply want to do three things:
1st: Say hello, because I often look in this very fascinating blog and think it is nice to say "Hi - I like all taht stuff"  :)
2nd: Show you one of my paintings because I think it corresponds with the video of the French musicians in the blog

3rd: Wish you a good time so far
Although I can't help feeling like saying: "...and now to something completely different" becvause most of the artwork here is completely different ;)
Byebye
Ariane

Ariane, welcome to the boards!  Lovely artwork, please grace us with more.

--ijw

AFGNCAAP

Wow, I almost hesitate to contribute after seeing all the incredible work on this thread! Here is a simple sketch of a character I did to get my creative juices flowing for writing, a pretty good representation of my style.

...it's something, anyway!
"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne

ariane

Hi, thank you for your friendly comment "Steampunk Cybernaut"..
I'll do my very best ;) and will post more soon...and hope to see more soon, too...
Greetings from
Ariane

Lotte Rotten

Such talented artists on this forum!!! I am sincerely impressed!! All i can share with you for now is an older drawing of mine (done 1½ year ago or so)... but i will post more once i get started with the artness again.

Hope everybody else will continue to post more wonderful piclings as well^^

Steampunk Cybernaut

Quote from: Lotte Rotten on December 07, 2007, 07:53:06 PM
Such talented artists on this forum!!! I am sincerely impressed!! All i can share with you for now is an older drawing of mine (done 1½ year ago or so)... but i will post more once i get started with the artness again.

Hope everybody else will continue to post more wonderful piclings as well^^

You are an amazing artist!  Keep up the outstanding work...

ijw

Lotte Rotten

Steampunk Cybernaut ~~ Thank you M'dear! Your comment really means alot to me as I'm struggling right now, trying to figure out if I should start drawing again or not..

Commander Obadiah

Yes. Start drawing. That cyberpunk-esque piece looks fantastic. Where may I acquire a scanned copy, for my desktop?

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

batty

Lotte Rotten, even if you don't feel like going all the way into drawing it dosen't have to be an either you draw or you don't draw sort of thing, you could just stick to sketching when you don't feel like doing big fancy things sometimes big fancy things grow naturally and those often end up being some of my favorites.

I have a new piece that i actually started as a doodle while watching college stuff (the basic sketch of the iron maiden) then  just kept adding stuff at random for at least 2 months.

Darth Saber

An armored vehicle concept design -

DS

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Darth Saber on December 11, 2007, 07:14:42 AM
An armored vehicle concept design -

DS

Very nice! I love concept art. I wish I could draw them.
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Sr. Mockingbird

Darth Saber, do you have a tablet for your computer or did you color that with a mouse? Just wondering because I hope to get a tablet for christmas   ;D

Darth Saber

Prof Vincent,

Affirmative...It was created with the aid of a Wacom Intous 3 tablet.

DS

Sr. Mockingbird

Ooo, fancy... I want one so bad...

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Quote from: Darth Saber on December 13, 2007, 10:45:37 PM
Prof Vincent,

Affirmative...It was created with the aid of a Wacom Intous 3 tablet.

DS

i have something like that mine is like 12in by something

hereaftermouse

I am envious - I do everything on a 3.5x5 inch wacom
it's small
On the up side, it hardly takes up any space on the computer table.

Silus Crow

I have no idea how these two would properly work, but, meh, oh well  :P

Flayer (Based loosely off the Necron Flayed Ones from Warhammer 40k)

Industrial Tin Man (Based off of Wizard of Oz)

Rev.B

having my first go at doing some bits and pieces, hope you like, any comments more than welcome, thanks.