News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The 2d Art Thread

Started by Andy_W, September 28, 2007, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smaggers

This is one of the characters from the story I'm currently writing, Amy Darling, hard nosed airship captain.

Bearing an uncanny (quite intentional) resemblance to Zoë Wanamaker. I found it much easier to write the characters with particular actors in mind.

Obviously when the movie companies come beating a path to my door it'll make casting easier.  (yeah right). ::)
The airship in the background is a stand-in for the final version that I'm currently building as a 3D model.
"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk

OpheliaButcher

A school project, we had to take two cultures and remix them, so I picked steam and cyber-punk and mixed them using an Alphonse Mucha, the original of which I will be getting tattooed on my left arm soon. I apologise for the quality of the image, a lot of detail gets lost, I will be taking better photos of all my work after this quarter when I think I have a large enough body of "good stuff" to remodel my site.

18x24, ink, coloured pencil and black tea on bristol board.

Received an 82, I didn't like that professor.  :-\
Mrs. Ophelia Butcher, "Widowed"

Scrapper, mutineer, saboteur, thief, aviatrix, sailor, street urchin, starving artist, and general no-good, foul mouthed punk. Captain of the occasional "commandeered" vessel with her crew of two loyal Irishmen, but usually, just out for a laugh, or a revolution.

Steampunk Cybernaut

Quote from: OpheliaButcher on December 24, 2007, 09:13:52 AM
A school project, we had to take two cultures and remix them, so I picked steam and cyber-punk and mixed them using an Alphonse Mucha, the original of which I will be getting tattooed on my left arm soon. I apologise for the quality of the image, a lot of detail gets lost, I will be taking better photos of all my work after this quarter when I think I have a large enough body of "good stuff" to remodel my site.

This is beautiful!  Thanks for posting, and hope to see more...jw

RPFolkers

After wasting a lot of time with poor tutorials on how to make humans, I have finally finished a render again. This one is called 'Professor Anachro and the Attack of the Sky Pirates'

Spoiler: ShowHide
"My god! That idea is so stupid it just might work!"
"Might work? Hell, it's way stupider than that!"
          -- Soap on a Rope

Commander Obadiah

The rifle that gentleman is holding looks interesting...

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

jypsii

Quote from: Lotte Rotten on December 07, 2007, 07:53:06 PM
Such talented artists on this forum!!! I am sincerely impressed!! All i can share with you for now is an older drawing of mine (done 1½ year ago or so)... but i will post more once i get started with the artness again.

Hope everybody else will continue to post more wonderful piclings as well^^

this is fantastic. i would love a better capture or even a print $$...

akumabito

Merry Christmas everyone!

Elanor Pam

Quote from: akumabito on December 25, 2007, 02:55:59 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

Please note that I registered to this forum solely to tell you how much this manip is made of awesomesauce.

Not only that, but this thread is brimming with amazing artwork, and you all make me feel smallish :< Principally Lotte Rotten - your drawing is simply amazing.

I've always liked victorian arabesques and the concept of crazy steam machines... I just didn't know all that stuff harkened back to victorian era and steam machines. Now, at least, I know why my giant robots and magical ancient ships never looked cool enough for my tastes - too cyber. I'm glad to have found more on steampunk, it really does seem to be the style I identify myself with.

Here are some of my works that have a steampunkish feel to them:

http://elanor-pam.deviantart.com/art/Gothic-Sisters-54976411
More neo-gothic than anything, but... watercolors and india ink.

http://elanor-pam.deviantart.com/art/03-skull-neck-54980568
Wood-block print. If I'd known more about steampunk back then, I'd probably have carved gears instead of those circles.

http://elanor-pam.deviantart.com/art/Dragonfly-63324343
Lithography.

http://elanor-pam.deviantart.com/art/The-Evil-Overlord-s-Son-41757056
Digital, open-canvas.

There should be more to come once I scan the rest of my lithographies (is this how you pluralize this word?).

Honeythorn

In light of my new position in the realm of mighty Victoriana, as Curator of the Royal livestock and fauna, and also in my capacity as overseer and mistress of the Royal steel whale, I have drawn done a crap rendition of  my great metallic charge, who goes by the unassuming name of Ermintrude..Behold!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/honeythorn/25-12-07_2057.jpg[/img]]
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

akumabito

Quote from: Honeythorn on December 25, 2007, 10:04:51 PM
In light of my new position in the realm of mighty Victoriana, as Curator of the Royal livestock and fauna, and also in my capacity as overseer and mistress of the Royal steel whale, I have drawn done a crap rendition of  my great metallic charge, who goes by the unassuming name of Ermintrude..Behold!

Reminds me of:

Charleson Mambo

I am afraid that I'm a bit rusty when it comes to the metallo cetaceans, but am I right in identifying Ermintrude as a Blued Steel Whale?

Charleson Mambo

(I apologize for the pun, it was totally on purpose wholly accidental.)
--
To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.

The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology website: www.accanthology.com

Honeythorn

That was terrible. I may have to deliver a slap for it!

And yes. You are correct  ;D

But really, I just drew it from memory. I didn't look at a reference picture, although I probably should have ,as I am almost certain there are serious anatomical faults with her.

I am quite proud if it all the same though. I have never drawn anything even remotely related to steampunk ( being new to it and all that ).
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Commander Obadiah

The next raygun design of mine.

Now all I need is a brass football about 35-40cm long and 10-15cm wide.

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Insanity

One of the most majestic to have ever beached itself on Our fair Victoriana.
Her Majesty, the King

Mercury Wells

I really enjoy looking at Mucha's work.

Btb 10/10 excellent work
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

OpheliaButcher

Quote from: Mercury Wells on December 27, 2007, 04:14:56 AM

I really enjoy looking at Mucha's work.

Btb 10/10 excellent work

Thank you, I appreciate that. :)
Mrs. Ophelia Butcher, "Widowed"

Scrapper, mutineer, saboteur, thief, aviatrix, sailor, street urchin, starving artist, and general no-good, foul mouthed punk. Captain of the occasional "commandeered" vessel with her crew of two loyal Irishmen, but usually, just out for a laugh, or a revolution.

Fortigurn

Various places in Taipei look pretty Steampunk at night.

Of course the cars are all wrong.  The de-sats are a little better.

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw

Brass Monkey

Fortigurn, that reminds me a lot of The Diamond Age, for some reason!

Lovely pics :D

Fortigurn

Thanks.  I suppose you could call Taipei a diamond in the rough, but even that's a little generous.  It's certainly more cyber punk than Steampunk most of the time.  But you do catch a glimpse of its more attractive side now and then if you look hard enough.

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw

hereaftermouse

This is only the second thing I've ever drawn in pen, hence the general mediocrity. Nonetheless:

hereaftermouse

Quote from: Commander Obadiah on December 27, 2007, 02:27:37 AM
The next raygun design of mine.

Now all I need is a brass football about 35-40cm long and 10-15cm wide.

Commander C. Obadiah

you mean you don't have 35-40cm long and 10-15cm wide brass footballs on hand? tsk.

Commander Obadiah

I gave mine away to the Salvation Army, thinking they were of little use. I'll be constructing it in an octagonal shape, with four sides of copper or brass and four sides of darkly stained mahogany.

Your photography is excellent, Fortigurn, and that low shutterspeed shot of the intersection is marvellous. I'm also rather taken with the photograph of the brightly-coloured ceiling. My only complaint is that I can only choose one photo as my desktop background!

Commander C. Obadiah

Toji Chiba

Well, if Photoshop Artwork is allowed here, I shall present a Wallpaper i made 1,5 years ago as a promotion wallpaper for a story a friend of mine and I were writing. Its a vampire story, that's the reason for the vampirric logo in the middle. Now I realised, it is very steampunkish and so i would like to present to you:

industrial-vampireness:

Resolution 1024*768
It was 100% done by me.

Toji

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

Fortigurn

Quote from: Commander Obadiah on December 28, 2007, 10:40:46 PMYour photography is excellent, Fortigurn, and that low shutterspeed shot of the intersection is marvellous.

Thanks a lot.  That's one of my favourite shots, taken without a tripod and braced against a somewhat shaky box with suspiciously dangerous looking electrical wires extruding from it.  That long blue and white diagonal streak you can see over the road is actually Taipei's elevated light rail (not my photo!).

QuoteI'm also rather taken with the photograph of the brightly-coloured ceiling.

An HDR compilation of about three or four handheld shots of the ceiling of a restaurant, over the dance floor, focusing on the disco ball and lights.  Rather blurry as a result.

QuoteMy only complaint is that I can only choose one photo as my desktop background!

Thanks!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw

Ink and Steam

Hereafternouse - Great early work in pen and ink! Keep at it - I've been working with it for over 30 years now and it's always an adventure.

Next I think I would like to design some Steampunk "documents", like adverts and boarding tickets for Airships.

-Cathy