News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The 2d Art Thread

Started by Andy_W, September 28, 2007, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zircher

Quote from: von Brasswood on October 25, 2007, 09:19:56 AMGive me the proportions, and I'll fix it for you :) Send me a message.
I believe the screen size is 480×272 for the PSP.  If you want to add WII and DS friendly images, the best viewing sizes appear to be 608x456 and 256x192 pixels, respectively.  [I was doing some research for multi-platform browser based games and I had those in my notes.  They should be good, if not gospel.]
--
TAZ

von Brasswood

Quote from: zircher on October 25, 2007, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: von Brasswood on October 25, 2007, 09:19:56 AMGive me the proportions, and I'll fix it for you :) Send me a message.
I believe the screen size is 480×272 for the PSP.  If you want to add WII and DS friendly images, the best viewing sizes appear to be 608x456 and 256x192 pixels, respectively.  [I was doing some research for multi-platform browser based games and I had those in my notes.  They should be good, if not gospel.]
--
TAZ

Thanks! I'll fix it tomorrow. A tad to drunk for Photohop now.
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

von Brasswood

Hmm, well, there's my punishment for leaving the computer on before leaving for town.. It's still on when I come back :P

Anywho! I've made versions of the picture for the PSP, WII and DS. They are all to be found in this folder. I'm guessing that the file names doesn't require any explanation. Help yourself :)
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

DreddPirateBob

heres a stained glass from a church i came across in a terribly dreary place near the sea

*mumbles strange incantations under breath

(i looks much better with alpha channels in SL though)

oh and impressive work all, i am inspired to draw again :)

Prof. Wutherford

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Love it.

DreddPirateBob

thank you  ;D

now to do the rest of our great and awful masters :)

von Brasswood

Quote from: DreddPirateBob on October 26, 2007, 11:48:47 AM
heres a stained glass from a church i came across in a terribly dreary place near the sea

*mumbles strange incantations under breath

(i looks much better with alpha channels in SL though)

oh and impressive work all, i am inspired to draw again :)

Extrordinaire! I first thought it was a genuine stained glass :P I haven't read much of the Cthulu mythos, but I do like it so far.

Thinking: This shouldn't be too hard to make with glass paint...
- vonB

heavyporker

WOW!

Dang, just wow!

That looks like it'd be absolutely in place in the town where the file "Dagon" takes place. *shudders*
I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day

DreddPirateBob

thank you all, a bit taken aback by the praise but thank you :)

i was tempted to have a go making it with glass paints but i know i will never get round to it. If anyone does have a go i'd love to see it.

heres something a bit less steampunk but i think worth showing

actually its bad quality, i'll see if i can find the original scan

Commander Obadiah

Now that's insane!

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Ethyl Cannes

Quote from: DreddPirateBob on October 26, 2007, 11:48:47 AM

Oh my. I am sorely tempted to dig out my glass paints just to give it a try. If you feel compelled to create more installments along these lines, please post them! I'm no good with dreaming up the designs, but I do have the crafting chops to execute such things.

batty

that'd be the lovely guage axelbrass and his mechanical horse

that'd be my piece called "fly" done in watercolors (watered down acrylics) and solid black paint with inks in pen.
my DA page is http://battytothebone.deviantart.com/
both of them are on there.

dantes_torment

This is the Holmes Anti-virus System, brought to you by the Investigative Difference Engine Security Department at Holmes Incorporated. Your Holmes AV is designed to track down the common virus(shown to the side for scale) and eliminate it without extensive damage or information loss to your Computational Device.

Bloodsteel

This is a picture from an online TCG project I'm currently in.

This is a Steam-powered Clockwork Juggernaut, a masterpiece of the Carthanian Technocrat Union Engineers.
Outnumbered by the Holy Lystarian Empire's fanatical army(Lystaria is a magic-user nation which condemns technological use as a sin), the engineers of Carthania Technocrat Union created large automatons which could challenge the mighty Lystarian army, one such masterpiece is the Clockwork Juggernaut. Larger than ogres, these gigantic machine slices through the enemies with ease.

The picture is a bit too futuristic isn't it ? any idea on how to make it fit better in a steampunk setting ?

Note: the picture is owned by Jotter Gameworks, please do not use without permission :)

TheKiltedStranger

Now THAT is seven or eight kinds of perty.

Commander Obadiah

Where'd you get that much awesome sauce?

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Bloodsteel

Well, I work for Jotter Gameworks as the concept & design lead for the online TCG project.

I'm also in charge of giving the description of how units looks like.
this one is the newest pic the art team has made. It's supposed to be steampunk, but I think it looks a bit too futuristic. Does any of you have some suggestion on how to make this looks more steampunk and not something out of mechwarrior ?

Prof. Wutherford

More valves and vents, more second-hand parts, make it look more hand-made.

eg, the two arms could be entirely differently built with different hinging mechanisms as if the builder was experimenting. 

A bit like 'Dog' in HL2 but less rusty and scavenged and more hand-built and experimental.

It's lovely though.

von Brasswood

I agree with Prof. Wutherford. It looks too planned and too professional. Make it a bit more "homemade".
- vonB

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: von Brasswood on October 31, 2007, 12:42:24 PM
I agree with Prof. Wutherford. It looks too planned and too professional. Make it a bit more "homemade".
A bit of scroll-work on some of the more barren surfaces might look nice too.  Brilliant as-is, though!
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

zircher

Postive suggestions aside, that wonderful techno-terror has found a home on my computer desk top.  Of course, I'm also something of an Iron Kingdoms steamjack fan.
--
TAZ

TheKiltedStranger

Yeah, I recommend tossing some asymmetry in there. Not that Steampunk=Asymmetrical, but it helps a bit I think.

Elle

Just thought I'd poke my head in.... woo, there are some impressive works in here!  I especially like that wicked motorcycle by the DreddPirateBob - drop dead gorgeous detail there!

Here's a couple of my own... I'm not quite over my love affair with anime, so forgive the cartoony-ness ;D

A quick oekaki inspired by The Golden Compass.  This is myself and my daemon, Alchaeon.  You can meet your own daemon by taking the quiz at http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/ - it's a lot of fun!

Not so much of the "punk" here, but it is Edwardian....  :D

Critiques are welcome!  To see higher-res of these, you can visit my dA page at http://www.dragonflyblues.deviantart.com

Commander Obadiah

They're making a movie about the Golden Compass/Northern Lights? And I love that Edwardian piece, beautiful colours.

Commander C. Obadiah

Elle

Thanks Commander Obadiah  :) 
Oh yes, the movie looks brilliant.  It comes out before Christmas I believe.... the anticipation is killing me!  What would be really fantastic, would be to see the entire trilogy on film.