News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The 2d Art Thread

Started by Andy_W, September 28, 2007, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanDrugostrov

Heh, that was pretty fun. I got a black cat named Lysandria.
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

von Brasswood

Not actually sure if this guy is steampunk, but I saw through my pictures yesterday and found that this must be one of the first pieces I drew with "old-fashioned" clothing. He has a top hat, a tailcoat, a pinstriped pair of pants and a pocket watch at least. And of course, there's steam coming out of his hat. I present you, the train conductor on a one-stop railway in Desert Where-The-Fudge-Am-I. He is a philosopher and a local polluter, Hagbart Chimneyfiddler :)

Larger version on my dA
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

Elle

Very whimsical, von Brasswood!  I'm especially fond of his name - it seems a bit Seuss-ish to me.  :)

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on November 04, 2007, 09:10:34 AM
Heh, that was pretty fun. I got a black cat named Lysandria.
Nice to meet you Ivan and Lysandria!  And still, not a single duplication of daemons... I'm impressed with that quiz.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present the fine art of steampixel! ;D

I believe some explanation is in order for this one... 
I created this for a project on deviantART called "Top Fighter".  Any deviant makes there ID resemble an arcade style fighting game with a sprite representing them.  I've only finished the sprite, so I'm not quite done... but it took so blasted long, I was eager to finally be able to show it off!  (looking at it now though, I think I need to add a bit more to the design...)  Odd thing about this is, I came up with the concept for my character long before I knew what steampunk was.  Funny old world, isn't it?

PS.  The weapon is sort of like a giant ax.... that can control time.  Why not, right?? heh.

TheKiltedStranger

Sure, why not? I've got a watch that controls axes. ;D

Elle

Quote from: TheKiltedStranger on November 05, 2007, 11:48:06 PM

And when used simultaneously, the two create a vortex that rips apart space and time!  ;D

Commander Obadiah

Good lord, I know just how difficult pixelhacking is and you've done splendidly! My congratulations to you, madame.

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Elle

Well, thank you again, sir!  I love the look of pixel art, but I'm not sure I'll do much with it anymore.... I'd prefer to remain Carpel-tunnle free.  :D

Commander Obadiah

Indeed, leave the magnifying glass overusage to the experts. I love that axe, by the way.

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

TheKiltedStranger

Quote from: Elle on November 06, 2007, 12:05:31 AM
Quote from: TheKiltedStranger on November 05, 2007, 11:48:06 PM

And when used simultaneously, the two create a vortex that rips apart space and time!  ;D

never seen that happen, but afterward a sandwich landed on my lap.
don't ask me where it came from... it was a little heavy on the mayonaise.

von Brasswood

Quote from: Elle on November 05, 2007, 09:46:13 PM
Very whimsical, von Brasswood!  I'm especially fond of his name - it seems a bit Seuss-ish to me.  :)

Yes, though I had no idea who Dr. Seuss was before drawing him, I can see him fitting in as a character. This guy is a favourite of mine.

I believe some explanation is in order for this one... 

No explanation needed, I see talent anyway :) It looks like a (damn good) character in some (damn good) game on the SNES.

Now excuse while I try to recollect my jaw from somewhere on the floor.. *scuttles around*
"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB

Nathaniel Coats

Clockwork Knight

I couldn't sleep tonight so thought I'd get the preliminary design for the outfit I want to attempt, most likely the hardest part will be cobbling together the mechanical prosthetic arm but I have an left over prop Gothic plate arm lying around. A little gold leaf, copper tubbing,  internal gear work, distressed leather, and maybe a few bits of tin and it should barely reach work in progress status. Either way, thought I might as well scan the sketch and throw on a lame "antique" filter to better match the feel of the board.

Oh and by the way guess I should use this opportunity to introduce myself the names is Ian, cut-rate wandering artist and alterer of scavengables nice to meet you all.

Commander Obadiah

Good evening to you sir, I must admit to taking a fancy to your clockwork prosthetic arm. Do make sure you build it, won't you?

Commander C. Obadiah

Augustus Dayafter

You know, I say this quite a lot around here, and I never really tire of saying it. This place is a haven for pure talent. Your (all of you) artwork (all of it) is fantastic. If there be a good video slideshow type person here on the forums, they should make Brass Goggles Art video and post it on youtube. I'd love to include it on my blog and my Steampunk playlist (on youtube). Again, your talent amazes me. Now, if I could just get my captain to scan and post the concept art that we've been working on...

Elle

Quote from: Clockwork Knight on November 07, 2007, 06:21:02 AM
Oh and by the way guess I should use this opportunity to introduce myself the names is Ian, cut-rate wandering artist and alterer of scavengables nice to meet you all.
And nice to meet you!  Impressive costume design.  I'd love to see the arm once it's constructed.  Dang... I wish I had mechanical arms just "lying around"  :D
Quote from: Augustus Dayafter on November 07, 2007, 03:26:28 PM
You know, I say this quite a lot around here, and I never really tire of saying it. This place is a haven for pure talent. Your (all of you) artwork (all of it) is fantastic. If there be a good video slideshow type person here on the forums, they should make Brass Goggles Art video and post it on youtube. I'd love to include it on my blog and my Steampunk playlist (on youtube). Again, your talent amazes me. Now, if I could just get my captain to scan and post the concept art that we've been working on...
A lovely idea!  I'm not experienced in slideshow sorts of things, but I would love to see it done.

Quote from: Nathaniel Coats on November 06, 2007, 11:58:48 PM
mmm
pixels.
... thanks?  heh-heh. ;D

Clockwork Knight

Quote from: Elle on November 07, 2007, 09:34:17 PM
And nice to meet you!  Impressive costume design.  I'd love to see the arm once it's constructed.  Dang... I wish I had mechanical arms just "lying around"  :D

Not so much disguarded mechanical arms, I worked as a low ranking grunt in a place that made props and stage armor during that stint I raided the dumpsters nearly everyday for rejects unused pieces basically anything I deemed usable of which was a upper arm, elbow cop and forearm of a prop suit of gothic plate armor. My logic is to use it as a foundation of sorts and just build off that add a shoulder piece and make a glove of some sort for the hand. Either way once I get a day off and my camera charged I'll make a thread with pictures to keep people up to date on its construction since that seems par for the course around here.

Nathaniel Coats

wow.
your avvy is epic win.

Don Bruiser

Had another idea pop in my head and had to get it out of there. Sort of a chest-mounted porthole revealing steamy innards. I kind of fancy putting together a t-shirt with this one.

Cheers!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Mortgan W. Maelstorme

Oi, Sawbones (*to Dayafter*), I said I'm gettin' to it! Hold her steamin' destriers! It'll be worth the wait...we hope.

*Captain Maelstorme returns to crow's nest to draw, smoke and brood*

*Captain Mael's Raven flies back down and speaks in female voice*

"Captain Maelstorme would, however, like to formally agree with the good doctor on the point of the fine talent displayed on this site, and to express his pleasure in being allowed to partake in such an incredible artistic community."

*Mael tosses the raven a treat, raven returns to his shoulder.*

- Mael

Tom

Hi everyone, i post here some of my work on deviantart : http://enguerrand.deviantart.com/gallery/

hereaftermouse

I'm not sure about this one, but it's the first steampunk drawing I've done in a while.
It is a symbolic representation of my deep desire to be able to honestly tell people that this one time, I was rappelling in steampunk clothing and...

and all my various drawing are on my deviant art account as well: http://thegirlwithonewheel.deviantart.com/

Commander Obadiah

As always, incredible work.

Commander C. Obadiah

hereaftermouse

This one is from a steampunk story I am writing, although the character herself could be just victorian.
sorry for how long it is..
Spoiler: ShowHide

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Rage-X

Wow all the pics are very cool. Can't wait to see more.
It is better to be hated for what you are then loved for what you are not.