News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events

Started by SteamBlast Mary, December 02, 2013, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Right, I propose the following:

1) That we travel to Stratford upon Avon on Sunday July 27th this year on the Shakespeare Express. 

2) That we take the 10.23 departure from Birmingham Snow Hill station, arriving Stratford 11.37, and return by the 16.13 departure from Stratford, arriving Birmingham Snow Hill 17.13. 

3) The departure time being relatively early on the Sunday morning and impracticable for those of us who would have to travel into Birmingham on public transport, it is proposed that we book hotel rooms for the Saturday night (26 July) and hold a gathering of some description in Birmingham on the Saturday evening/ night (what form this meeting would take is entirely up for discussion- I believe a visit to the Electric Cinema [dependant upon which films are showing] was mentioned today). 

4) On the Sunday morning the left luggage office at New Street station opens at 8AM.  Therefore it will be possible to check out of the hotel at, say, 9AM, leave our overnight bags at New Street and then walk over to Snow Hill in plenty of time for the 10.23 train. 

How does that sound, for a start?
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Prof. Comberthwaite

Sounds like a good idea. I notice from the web site that there are dining options.... or is the plan to just travel?
Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

James Harrison

I'm thinking maybe just to travel, and to picnic in Stratford.  It's almost twice the price to travel first class, nice though that may be, and what with the cost of the hotel room for the previous night and leaving the overnight bag at New Street I think that an extra £15 on the train ticket might just push the weekend into the 'too expensive' bracket for many of us.  It depends how much the hotel costs of course.  If we can decide on a date (and the 27th seemed today to be one that most people can do), then we can start looking at booking hotel rooms for the 26th and take it from there. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Never mind the Cogs

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Esme Moore

Further to Croquet at Edgbaston Croquet Club:

There are two possible scenarios here.

First is if we have a number of folk wanting to visit as a group, we would in effect count as a party at the Club. This could be done on a Saturday morning from 10am to 2pm, but there would be a charge of £10 per head, a minimum charge fr £80, and a £25 deposit (refundable unless we cancelled).  Bear in mind that this means Club members volunteering their time to look after a party of folk and helping them to learn to play, plus covering wear and tear on equipment, etc - but it would mean we'd need at least 8 turn up to make the price £10 per head.

Alternatively, people can visit in ones and twos on a Saturday afternoon (which, incidentally, is a normal Club day forthe ECC) so that they can have a go and see if they're interested in joining the Club.

At this juncture, I know of three others with some degree of interest in croquet. If there's anyone else, please let me know by, say the end of next week (16th May), then we can work out whether there's enough would like to descend on the Edgbaston Croquet Club en masse to make that doable, otherwise, it'll be a case of each of us making arrangements to visit the ECC  as indivuals as and when we can.

Ada Thorold

I don't know if this has already been discussed here but I was just sent this link (by my mother - I think she may be getting the hang of this steampunk thing). It may be of interest?

http://www.bmag.org.uk/events?id=3160

~A~

James Harrison

Quote from: Ada Thorold on May 09, 2014, 10:07:01 PM
I don't know if this has already been discussed here but I was just sent this link (by my mother - I think she may be getting the hang of this steampunk thing). It may be of interest?

http://www.bmag.org.uk/events?id=3160

~A~

It has been mentioned, we just haven't got around to organising anything about it yet.  I'm planning to visit it at any rate... 

Torcwrench

My daughter and I had a very enjoyable day out at the Commandery  on Sunday 4th May.  Wonderful costumes and altogether a very interesting experience.  My thanks to those who organised the occasion.  Kindest regards.

Esme Moore

Quote from: James Harrison on May 05, 2014, 05:17:46 PM
Right, I propose the following:

1) That we travel to Stratford upon Avon on Sunday July 27th this year on the Shakespeare Express. 
...etc.

How does that sound, for a start?

Excellent!  I have put this in my diary!

James Harrison

Grand.  That's 8 people expressing (ha, ha!) interest in the trip, which makes it a go-er in my book  :)

27th July it is then. 

Esme Moore

I expect you're chuffed to have stoked interest in the event, James, no?

Aubreay Fallowfield

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

James Harrison

Quote from: Esme Moore on May 13, 2014, 07:14:34 PM
I expect you're chuffed to have stoked interest in the event, James, no?

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on May 14, 2014, 07:10:43 AM
Yes no need to go off the rails

Ba-dum, Tish   :D

I'm most likely going to book my ticket (and a hotel room) this weekend- I'm going to suggest we book our tickets/ hotel rooms individually.  The trip is definitely now going ahead on July 27th.

~Edit~

D*mn.  Just gone to book the 10 o'clock train on the 27th and it is already fully booked.  So, do we 1) go for the 12.40 train instead, or 2) see if we can't find another weekend? 

James Harrison

Hmm, just gone on the website and tried a few random dates to see if any of the early trains are available- the short answer being no!  Now, either they are all fully booked, the 10 o'clock train has been taken off or there is a problem with the booking website.  I would suggest trying to book via telephone for the 27th and then seeing 'what's what' afterward. 

Esme Moore

Quote from: James Harrison on May 14, 2014, 07:28:49 PM
D*mn.  Just gone to book the 10 o'clock train on the 27th and it is already fully booked.  So, do we 1) go for the 12.40 train instead, or 2) see if we can't find another weekend? 

Oh, durn, I confess I hadn't even thought of the necessity of booking ahead of time - not this far ahead of time, anyway. No can do here, at least not until after the 23rd (when I get paid next).   My personal preference would be going for a different date so we can try to get as early a train as possible.

Esme Moore

CROQUET at Edgbaston Croquet Club

Well, gentlebeings - insufficient support received to make a group of it, so anyone wishing to have a proper go at croquet,  please make your own arrangements.

The ECC's website is here: http://www.edgbastoncroquetclub.org.uk/

Prof. Comberthwaite

Quote from: James Harrison on May 14, 2014, 07:42:21 PM
Hmm, just gone on the website and tried a few random dates to see if any of the early trains are available- the short answer being no!  Now, either they are all fully booked, the 10 o'clock train has been taken off or there is a problem with the booking website.  I would suggest trying to book via telephone for the 27th and then seeing 'what's what' afterward. 
Have you managed to speak to them about the booking situation?
Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

James Harrison

UPDATE:

I called Vintage Trains this afternoon (1.45PM) [telephone number 0121 708 4960]

There are tickets available in standard class for the 10.20 train on the 27th, returning on the 4.20 train.  I've now booked my ticket... Panic over!

Never mind the Cogs

I'll get mine when I'm passing through on Monday
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

SteamBlast Mary

*waves shyly* Hello all- sorry I've been so quiet recently, virtually all my time online and energy has been ploughed into jobsearching recently. Hopefully will catch up with things very shortly.

Ian "Herr Doktor" and myself will be at Red By Night at the Black Country Living museum tonight (May 17th) but can't see anything baout it, though I understand Aubrey was organising something? Could someone point me to where this was discussed, please?

*Edit* found it- see you there!
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Esme Moore

Quote from: James Harrison on May 16, 2014, 12:50:47 PM
UPDATE:

I called Vintage Trains this afternoon (1.45PM) [telephone number 0121 708 4960]

There are tickets available in standard class for the 10.20 train on the 27th, returning on the 4.20 train.  I've now booked my ticket... Panic over!

Right, I shall check pennies carefully to see if I can order my ticket earlier, but I may have to wait until Friday. (Keeping fingers crossed the tickets don't all go by then!)

James Harrison

Don't worry Esme- the fellow I spoke to on the telephone told me that (for standard class at least, which is how we're travelling) seats are generally available right up to the point of departure.  Now obviously I wouldn't advocate waiting until the day to buy a ticket (for one thing it's more expensive, for another what if 10 of us turn up and there are only 9 available seats?)- but if people are having to wait a few weeks to save the money or wait until payday I think it unlikely the train will sell out between 'now' and 'then'.   

Just to reiterate, the website appears to be playing up and refusing people to see the trains, so my advice would be to telephone the company directly (or, as NMtC is doing, pay them a visit in Tyseley) and purchase a ticket that way. 

Aubreay Fallowfield

Great night last night at Black Country Living Museum. The place was packed and at one point someone tried to donate some items to me thinking I was a member of staff!! :D

Does anyone know about the next Griffin pub meet. My dates are this Friday but have been told next one is in June.
Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Aubreay the next Griffin meet is July 2oth. Not enough people could make the May date.

Lucius Baxter

July? Aw... That's so far away and clashes with 1940s events!  :-\
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps