News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events

Started by SteamBlast Mary, December 02, 2013, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubreay Fallowfield

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.

Madam Takara

Methinks I will be refraining from more expensive outings for a while, so can't make the Shakespeare Express outing and of course, I missed the museum. I'm trying to get a new job (and saving for Lincoln....)
Sorry chaps and chapettes, see you at....some point!

Love and tea,
Madam T
Medicate with tea ❤️

Esme Moore

There's always punknics, Madam Takara; we generally have one in Cannon Hill Park each year, no reason anyone can't suggest a date there - or in some other park -  and see if anyone else can make it!

Kevin C Cooper Esq

I was thinking that at least for those of us in Dudleyand the surrounding enviros we could at least have a punknic at a location such as Haden Hill House, or another suitable (free) location if anyone has suggestions.

Aubreay Fallowfield

I'll phone Bantock park tomorrow and check it out for availability

Lucius Baxter

I don't know who has seen it... But there is something steampunk related going on at WOLVERHAMPTON ART GALLERY. (It's great there, some good victorian paintings... And a Deane & adam's revolver.)
As far as I know it's on the 29th... I think. I'm not sure if you have to pay... If it was it'll only be about £5.00 ...... But I think it wasn't a paying event.
I'm trying to save for Lincoln too....
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Madam Takara

Quote from: Lucius Baxter on May 22, 2014, 10:47:04 AM
I don't know who has seen it... But there is something steampunk related going on at WOLVERHAMPTON ART GALLERY. (It's great there, some good victorian paintings... And a Deane & adam's revolver.)
As far as I know it's on the 29th... I think. I'm not sure if you have to pay... If it was it'll only be about £5.00 ...... But I think it wasn't a paying event.
I'm trying to save for Lincoln too....

You mean this?
http://www.wolverhamptonart.org.uk/events/victorian-steampunk-party/
Medicate with tea ❤️

Never mind the Cogs

Thats interesting in that our regular steampunks do not appear to be aware of it!
wonder who is organising it
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Aubreay Fallowfield

Before you get too excited please be aware its for children only. I got a phone call from someone in their education dept. Long story short I advised her to advertise it here on BG.

Madam Takara

Quote from: Aubreay Fallowfield on May 22, 2014, 09:39:52 PM
Before you get too excited please be aware its for children only. I got a phone call from someone in their education dept. Long story short I advised her to advertise it here on BG.

Oh yes, I thought it sounded like the one you mentioned the other day, but I have a memory like a goldfish so I wasn't sure!

Medicate with tea ❤️

Lucius Baxter

But does that stop us from visiting wolverhapton and having a good time? I don't see how or why! So... I think a nice outing would be good. If not.. Well, nothing lost. But there is so much to gain! like... A trip to Gregg's! Or... A walk round town to scare the locals.
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Never mind the Cogs

I like the sound of that
"scaring the greggs out of the locals"
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

Madam Takara

Quote from: Never mind the Cogs on May 23, 2014, 11:22:26 PM
I like the sound of that
"scaring the greggs out of the locals"

Hehee or we could scare the locals out of Gregg's and eat the cake...
Now you mention it I saw some spontaneous cosplayers in Wolverhampton the other day, and I keep seeing them in Birmingham (they keep thinking I'm one of them...) A gathering of steamies would probably end up making it more a parade than a group xD
Medicate with tea ❤️

James Harrison

A trip to Wolverhampton just for the heck of it sounds a good idea (I'm told there is at least one decent vintage shop there- where's Gazongola when you need him?  :D )

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

I've just booked my hotel for July 26 (the night before the trip to Stratford).  If anyone wants to book the same hotel I'm in the Macdonald Burlington on New Street, if you go via laterooms it's about £80 a night. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Aubreay Fallowfield

Can't make tomorrow: -(
Education official says she's looking forward to seeing people. Have a good day folks

Esme Moore

Shakespeare Express ticket for 27th July duly booked, yay!

Aubreay Fallowfield

Was on way to Harborne today when I decided on a whim to enquire about prices etc at Birmingham Botanical Gardens. The staff were lovely. After I explained about us they gave me all the details, prices etc, and even allowed me a 'planning' visit round the gardens.

So.

Would people be interested in a BBG visit?
I'm thinking August?
Saturday or Sunday?
Any clashing dates?
Picnic a definite although they do have a cafe.
Entry price would be £6 per person as long as we have minimum of 10 people.

Let me know thoughts and I'll book it with them.

Those on the Book of Face could you put the idea out please.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Definately, just need to sort a date. Not first weekend in august though.

James Harrison

Birmingham Botanical Gardens would be a great trip I think.  (Preferably on a Saturday, though I could do a Sunday if the start time were late enough). 

Quote from: Esme Moore on June 02, 2014, 05:20:44 AM
Shakespeare Express ticket for 27th July duly booked, yay!

Yay!

Madam Takara

I'd love to tag along but I shall have to see what money is like first.
Medicate with tea ❤️

Miranda.T

A very good evening to you all, and hello - this is my very first post here (I finally became tired of 'lurking'!)

I though I should mention that a few years ago the Botanical Gardens held a Victorian Evening in the run-up to Christmas, and encouraged people to dress accordingly. Unfortunately, we were some of the very few who did enter into the spirit of things, but despite this it was an excellent event, with plenty of Victorian-themed activities to keep both adults and children engaged. It always though it was a shame they didn't repeat the event, but I can vouch it makes for an excellent period 'backdrop'.

Aubreay Fallowfield

Madam Takara

Quote from: Miranda.T on June 04, 2014, 10:16:04 PM
A very good evening to you all, and hello - this is my very first post here (I finally became tired of 'lurking'!)

I though I should mention that a few years ago the Botanical Gardens held a Victorian Evening in the run-up to Christmas, and encouraged people to dress accordingly. Unfortunately, we were some of the very few who did enter into the spirit of things, but despite this it was an excellent event, with plenty of Victorian-themed activities to keep both adults and children engaged. It always though it was a shame they didn't repeat the event, but I can vouch it makes for an excellent period 'backdrop'.

Sounds like the perfect location then!
Welcome, madam, to this fine little corner of 'Goggles ;)

Love and tea,
Madam T
Medicate with tea ❤️