News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc

Started by Alexis Voltaire, December 16, 2013, 09:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Chrystal

"Here, allow me to assist," Chrystal reaches for the "bunny ears" and unfastens them. "It is fortunate I came back for my tray."

She watched Lady Arabella's face return to it usual healthful colouring. "Are you well now?"
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Arabella Periscope

(Gasps) Aaaaah, thank you!  I'm afraid I cannot resist hot buttered toast, and it just does not settle properly when the hourglass is deployed.  What a place this is, though. A haven.  I must know who has created it.  Where did she go?
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Nathan Kowalski

I am wondering, if this is a virtual "room" to comfort people suffering from RL anxiety and depression, why is everyone using their IC personas? I have suffered from very serious RL depression in the past, and I am feeling a little bit down right now (I have no idea why).

Arabella Periscope

Speaking for myself, all aspects of my being have suffered from depression and anxiety, and require the comfort of such a room, and since my actual person cannot enter it (more's the pity) my virtual person will -- with a deep sigh of relief.

If you feel down, have no doubt that all the people here assembled know that there is not necessarily a reason why, and would like to help if possible.
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'

Lady Chrystal

Quote from: Nathan Kowalski on December 20, 2013, 05:21:41 AM
I am wondering, if this is a virtual "room" to comfort people suffering from RL anxiety and depression, why is everyone using their IC personas? I have suffered from very serious RL depression in the past, and I am feeling a little bit down right now (I have no idea why).

Likewise, speaking for myself, I feel that we are establishing this room as a safe place.

Is there anything we (not our personae) can offer?

You say you're a bit down. Is it Holiday-related blues, perhaps? Or reasonless (but no less real)?

frances

*virtual hug* for everyone who is feeling a little bit, or more, down.

Arabella Periscope

The person who created this place, bless her, lets you leave your self-loathing at the door -- there is a sort of bottomless garderobe around the corner for it.  You can replace it with a fond exasperation because your true worth will show here; it's something about the lighting.  Come in!

Alexis Voltaire

I'm here, just back from tending the, erm, furnace.

*A snuffing sound comes from somewhere near the back of the brick oven, and the flames flicker*

I'll say this, growing up ought to have disclaimers. And Warning signs.

*Makes a large mango smoothie with a dash of orange and spices, and sits down in a cushioned swivel chair behind the counter*
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Arabella Periscope

May I be the first to thank you for creating this sanctuary? (And by the way, what fuel does your -- erm -- furnace take?)

Camellia Wingnut

It wouldn't be - ah - maidens, would it? Is this some kind of trap baited with scones? Sorry, anxious, you know.
C.W.
Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .

Alexis Voltaire

Peach brandy and aged lunar cheese, mainly. No maidens.

And you're welcome. I 'm surprised someone hadn't put one of these up before.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

walking stick

I find this place kinder than the gah threads because you can bring anything in, not just rants. The thoughtfulness of others creating a whimsical place where I can discuss real problems is a help.  I have depression and stress due to serious things that I cannot influence and other things that have me way out of my depth. I barely feel equipped to deal with any of it.  You all understand these problems.

And now for a totally frivolous addition to the current conversation, there is the bawdy filk song Gilda and The Dragon. "Why you'd smile too", the worm replied, "if you'd just eaten a maiden."

Camellia Wingnut

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .

CorneliaCarton

Things have gotten better with my Grandparents after my support worker talked to them.
*moves over to the kettle that's boiling over a stove, taking it off the heat before putting a tea bag into a cup and pouring the boiled water into the teacup*

I was afraid they'd never listen. At least now I can focus on healing instead of worryig about my Grandparenfs setting off one of many triggers.
Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.

Arabella Periscope

(A lady appears, veiled, at the entrance to her chosen alcove, and sinks to the hassock there with a sigh. Backlit by the gentle tinted rays of her Tiffany lamp, she attempts to tidy her hair, which appears vastly disarrayed by the former presence of some wreath that has left traces of gilt and . . . feathers?  Exhausted by the revelries and sentiments, regret, nostalgia, eggnog, etc., of Christmas, she passes her hand across her brow.  Several damp lace handkerchiefs fall to the rug, wafting a curious fragrance of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and Roman Hyacinth by Floris.)

"Is anybody there?  Is anyone left living?  Our dear hostess?  The gentleman with the strange silhouette?  The lady with the toxic relations?  The gentleman railing against his fate?  The lady who enjoys Goat's milk?  

I shall tell you a true tale.  My grandmother, who was severely depressed, lived in rotation with her four daughters, who kept her until they could each tolerate her sorrowful presence in the corner chair no more and passed her along to the next.  She would speak sometimes, to the government or to mankind in general, saying "Fools!"  or to her sons-in-law "Villains!"  or to her grandchildren "Dirty toads!" --yes, I'm afraid so -- and to her daughters "' How sharper than a serpent's tooth is an ungrateful child!'" but when another person complained she would hum one of her little ditties,

'O list while I tell you the story
      of the Spaniard who blighted my life . . .'

And I invite you, one and all, to tell your story, if you have one, of any Spaniard who has blighted your life in 2013."

Arabella

Capitan Diavolo

The door opens, and a black attired, strong-shaped man walks inside...

The black leather pilot helmet with the attached goggles is carefully put on the table of a still free alcove, followed by the gloves.

With absolute nonchalance, the man starts to relieve himself of the weapon's weight he's carrying... two Colts Model 1911, two customized Mauser C/96, a long barelled Luger.
In his left boot only a knife remains...

-Mmm, now's better.- he says, speaking more for himself than for the other people staring at him with curiosity.

- Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. Hope there's still some tea left... By the way, I'm Paolo Colussi, but I'm sure my name will not tell you much... But probably you've heard about Capitan Diavolo... yes, that's me.. Nice place here.. Seems cozy... -

The man sits down tiredly, while looking around in search of a known face, and instinctively checking the dark spots, like someone that is always alert and ready for whatever can represent a danger...  

MWBailey

*waves a betentacled apppendage in greeting, as the banjo chimes in the breeze of the Captain's entry*

Relax, Capitano, we are all kindred souls, here. They make the tea anew every few minutes or so. Relax and have some refreshment.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

walking stick

Opening a topic. I am very far out of my depth in many parts of my life.  How does one go about facing the prospect of massive upheaval when almost everything is beyond your control.

Lady Chrystal

Quote from: walking stick on December 29, 2013, 07:21:37 AM
Opening a topic. I am very far out of my depth in many parts of my life.  How does one go about facing the prospect of massive upheaval when almost everything is beyond your control.

Ah, a scenario as old as Civilisation itself, I suspect.

(((hugs)))

Focus on one small issue at a time - there are always smaller aspects that can be faced individually. If the big things are beyond your control, they will take care of themselves. Look for the smaller, however trivial they may appear.

Do share on  here if there are specifics we can address with you. Or PM me if it's more private, anything I can help with - or if you need to rant.

(((((hugs)))))

Arabella Periscope

It is terrifying to be swept up by huge tides in life.  If you could be a little more specific, there are times when it is safer to Keep Calm and Float on your Back and times when it is imperative to swim vigorously with all your might to escape a rip current.   Please do feel safe here, do confide -- maybe the hugs and the firelight and the tea will help.

walking stick

A few details.  My sister has cancer, the latest round of chemotherapy did not help.  My other sister snipes like it's my fault.  I have exhausting (but not, as yet, life threatening) health problems.  I am unfit to work regular hours.(Atos say I'm fine)  I am in debt and have no idea how to support myself in the future.  I am depressed and having panic attacks.  There is more but that's enough to be going on with.

Camellia Wingnut

A stirring of (faux) fox furs is detectable in the Inglenook.
"Ah, indeed, my dear. There is a particular bodily state which accompanies troubles of great severity, indicating that the mind has shoved the terrors away, but that they are still felt as physical pain. Do you recognize it?"
Symptoms: a crushing of the chest, pressing on the lungs like a merciless iron corset. Two recurring pangs at the base of the skull, one on each side. A shivery hotness trickling through the veins like acid, sometimes appearing on the skin in a light perspiration.
Also, an avoidance of that state between waking and dreams, when the terrors are not quite so firmly suppressed and pounce, throbbing in the heart and squeezing its valves.
This is no doubt a primitive description of some sophisticated biochemical process that continues to sound emergency alarms in the absence of attention to problems.
Let us discuss ways of alleviating these symptoms.
Affectionately,
Great-Aunt C.W.

Arabella Periscope

Dear Walking-Stick,

Depression is a life-threatening health problem.

Have you sought help for this?  Sometimes the larger problems of debt and loss of income are a result of debilitating depressive illness, not their cause.  Everyone is aware of the terrible ordeal your sister is having with cancer. Depression is viewed as a character flaw but it is just as real an illness as cancer.  I was treated for depression and had the wonderful experience of feeling it lift from me like a boulder from my heart that had been there forever; I had never been to school because of panic attacks which turned into asthma, but afterwards I whizzed through university.  True, there are relapses and readjustments, but you are not at
fault, you are not fine, and you are certainly not responsible for your sister's condition.

There is hope. 

So many of us are or have been in this very situation!  I am sure you would feel better if you could see the virtual show of hands!

Lady Chrystal

Sounds like plenty to be going on with.

Sorry to hear about the health problems, that's tough - and your other sister is probably lashing out because she feels helpless, too. No consolation, I'm afraid. Might be worth you asking her how she feels - if your relationship is generally good and you may find she needs to share as much as you might.

On a practical note, have you spoken to anyone about the debt? Citizens' Advice? Benefits people? They have emergency funds that may be able to help, whether it's you that applies or your sister. I don't wish to sound patronising, but that may be one facet that you can improve.

On the less practical side, you're in a safe place here. Enjoy the virtual hospitality and keep talking.

frances

I suggest that we all sit down in that cosy nook over there and have a nice cup of tea.  Anyone for buttered current bun?