News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Weekend At The Asylum, Lincoln, September 12th-14th, 2014

Started by Rockula, February 13, 2014, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miranda.T

A good evening to all,
We have just booked our tickes to the event (due to time contraints, Saturday daytime only). As this is our first time at the Asylum, could I possibly ask a couple of questions?

- Are the tickets exchanged for wristbands at the venues (e.g. the castle)?
- Are there any events which might be of particular interest to children?

Many thanks,
Miranda.

Dr Vincent Swann

Tickets are indeed exchanged for wristbands, we usually have control at the Assembly Rooms.  Still working on the day programme so can't be specific yet, though most of the daytime features are family friendly. Will post more details as soon as possible but it is usually much nearer the event.

Miranda.T

Quote from: Dr Vincent Swann on June 30, 2014, 07:50:48 PM
Tickets are indeed exchanged for wristbands, we usually have control at the Assembly Rooms.  Still working on the day programme so can't be specific yet, though most of the daytime features are family friendly. Will post more details as soon as possible but it is usually much nearer the event.

Many thanks - I will check back here closer to the time.

Kathy_Davidson

Morning all,

The standard question that crops up every year:

Anyone know a decent hotel/B&B close enough to the area that isn't going to break the bank and is likely to still have space?

The lady we normally stay with has sold up  :'(
There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Kathy_Davidson on July 11, 2014, 06:53:47 AM
Morning all,

Anyone know a decent hotel/B&B close enough to the area that isn't going to break the bank and is likely to still have space?

The premier Inn should still have rooms available if you don't mind the walk. I can't really say about anywhere else that might have rooms free.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Ariadne Hyde

Miranda.T

Quote from: Kathy_Davidson on July 11, 2014, 06:53:47 AM
Morning all,

We have booked a couple of weeks ago at the Premier Inn just out of town (the one at Canwick), with the plan to use taxis to get in and out. It looked a little quieter than the town centre one (for getting the children settled at night) and it has its own parking.

Yours,
Miranda.

Kathy_Davidson

Calling all Mad Inventors, Explorers and Purveyors of Gadgetry!

Roll up, Roll up for the Wackey Races

Only at The Asylum.

Come take part in a mad dash for glory or just come to watch and cheer on anyone crazy enough to participate.

Three (Yes you heard correctly Ladies and Gentlemen) THREE whole Classifications now exist for your entertainment and expertise. Bring along your own racer to have a go yourself or get your butler to do it for you.

Class One

Human Powered (pushed or pulled: Scooters, box cars etc)
Three or more Wheels

Class Two

Pedal Driven (go-carts, tricycles etc)
Three or more Wheels

Class Three

Jet Packs (Need no be fully flight functional to participate)
(You can put wheels on them if you want but I'm not sure it will help)

Join us in the castle for the pre-race entertainment and stick around for the award ceremony to celebrate the victors!

Fully classification details, along with race times, to be provided in the event programme

Original rules below:
Quote from: TimeTinker on February 22, 2011, 08:40:48 PM
OK I am formulating the possible plans.

Vehicles must be entirely (wo)man powered.  This power need not be wholly within the vehicle (they may be pushed/towed by runners therefore.

Vehicles must have more than two wheels, have a steering system and carry a "driver".  Drivers must wear helmets and goggles.

Vehicles fall in to one of two classes.  Class one - straight man power or 1:1 power transmission
Class two - making use of mechanical advantage (e.g. cranks/gears on bicycles)

The course shall be "the banjo" at the Castle.  Vehicles will need to cover 60 meters, turn in the circle at the end then 60 meters back to the finish.

Any underhanded sneakyness such as guns etc must be safe to other drivers/crews and spectators and must not cause stains or damage to the course/castle.

Direct interference with other racers or sabotage etc will result in disqualification.  Firing nerf darts or water pistols etc is not considered interference.

I will endeavour to find a sponsor for prices.  Prizes will be offered for the winning racer in each class and one for the best looking racer.

Teams should only enter if they are sure they will be bringing a racer.  If you wish to enter please email me to register your interest.  We will probably not have room for more than four racers in each class so please don't take up a space if you are unlikely to deliver a racer.

Thank you.

(Another crazy idea adds to the Asylum...)

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Good morning Gentlefolk.
Might i enquire if there is a tentative band / event list yet ?? (even if unconfirmed)

???
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

steamqueen

Hello everyone, I am very sorry to have to be selling my adult weekend ticket on accounts that I can not afford to get up to lincoln so if any of you are interested in buy it please send me an e-mail to n_c_berry@hotmail.com

Dr Vincent Swann

I will try to remember (though my lack of short term memory is almost legendary) to repost information from the book of face to here. Last post read.

Hot on the heels of the ticket release for 'The Dead Dog' 'Mad Hatters Tea Party' & 'Rock Night' go here https://asylum6.eventbrite.co.uk for tickets. I am delighted to announce that the live music for 'Lady Elsies Fashion Gala' will be provided by.........

.....wait for it......

Frenchy & The Punk !!!!

These guys played a special set a couple of years ago in the Charlotte House Orangery and are awesome to listen to and great people too (they're stempunks what do you expect).

and finally, if you fancy being a model on the night, strutting your stuff on the catwalk, swanning around in designer outfits for the evening and of course listening to Frenchy & The Punk please go here http://goo.gl/Jnn6Ef and fill in the form. We are still looking for a few more models.

Also for those who do not know Frenchy & The Punk check out this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzJqqTNjVw

Ada Thorold

Good morning all,

I have got tickets for my first Asylum for the Saturday. I am in the process of buying my train tickets (doing a round trip from London). I was wondering what sort of time the afternoon events start winding down and would be a good time to go home? I am not booking any evening events as its a 2 hour train back.

Thank you,

~A~

ColonelHarry Flashman

Hello one and all
Anyone know who runs The Lawns and who to contact. I am currently trying to find a practical venue for "The Time Travelling Tea Tent", to make a guest appearance at the Asylum this year; continuing its British tour. Castle is a no go, as we have a dog in charge of the operation and the Castle is not dog friendly.
The lawns does though, have wonderfully large lawns...perfect for a tent...and a dog...hopefully.
Any ideas or brain waves, please respond
Cheers

Andy & Tracey
https://www.facebook.com/thetimetravellingteatent?fref=ts

Rockula

Quote from: ColonelHarry Flashman on August 27, 2014, 11:56:38 AM
Hello one and all
Anyone know who runs The Lawns and who to contact. https://www.facebook.com/thetimetravellingteatent?fref=ts[/url]

Lincoln Council have been faffing about trying to sell The Lawn (including three main buildings, the main complex, the conservatory and Charlotte House (which is subject to a long-term lease), as well as the south lawn and car parking) for at least 3 years and as far as I know have not allowed anyone to book it as a venue which is why The Asylum is no longer held there. Which is a shame.
Unless anyone has better information?
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

ColonelHarry Flashman

Umm I have just been informed by Mr Tinker a similar tale.
It seems the council are less than helpful. Come the day of the Martian invasion......it will all be different.
Seems therefore that the Tent will have to wait and we will day trip on our way down from the far North to the Sandringham Estate. They appreciate a good cup of tea there and have more grass than you can throw a croquet stick in.
Thanks anyway for the update ;)

Lady Adora Explora

Greetings! It is many months since hard currency was exchanged and my inbox has been since neglected only to inhabited by moths from the Lincoln Asylum.  Have I missed the vital order of events information or has just not been forthcoming yet?

Prof. Comberthwaite

I booked my weekend and ball ticket a while ago. Now that I'm a little more aware of what is going on, I have also managed to get Tea Party and the Major's Soirée tickets, so a fully-booked weekend to look forward to.

A phrase I never thought I would hear a gentleman utter: "Have I got enough to wear for the weekend?"  :)
Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist

Michael Farley

Quote from: Ada Thorold on August 27, 2014, 09:29:37 AM
Good morning all,

I have got tickets for my first Asylum for the Saturday. I am in the process of buying my train tickets (doing a round trip from London). I was wondering what sort of time the afternoon events start winding down and would be a good time to go home? I am not booking any evening events as its a 2 hour train back.

Thank you,

~A~
Last year I seem to remember it started winding down between 4 and 5 o'clock (to give people plenty of time to get spruced up and suitably prenebriated before the evening festivities)

Quote from: Lady Adora Explora on August 28, 2014, 05:08:24 PM
Greetings! It is many months since hard currency was exchanged and my inbox has been since neglected only to inhabited by moths from the Lincoln Asylum.  Have I missed the vital order of events information or has just not been forthcoming yet?
No sign of it yet but patience is a virtue. There is a general list of what to expect here but it doesn't include specific timings yet. It also says "A printed programme will be supplied to all wristband holders when they collect their wristbands.   A downloadable version will be available here very shortly" so watch this space.

Ada Thorold

Quote from: Michael Farley on August 28, 2014, 11:20:27 PM
Good morning all,

Thank you,

~A~
Last year I seem to remember it started winding down between 4 and 5 o'clock (to give people plenty of time to get spruced up and suitably prenebriated before the evening festivities)

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I have already booked my return for 7 before all the cheap tickets sold out. I am sure Lincoln will provide a good pub to accommodate me for the intervening hours.

~A~

Lady Adora Explora

Good morning all,

Thank you,

~A~

Quote from: Lady Adora Explora on August 28, 2014, 05:08:24 PM
No sign of it yet but patience is a virtue. There is a general list of what to expect here but it doesn't include specific timings yet. It also says "A printed programme will be supplied to all wristband holders when they collect their wristbands.   A downloadable version will be available here very shortly" so watch this space.
Thanky you for that. It is the first I have seen of any kind of programme. Being a first time delegate I like to know what to expect. I do have tickets for the Grand Ball but there appear to be many happenings on Saturday evening.

Michael Farley

Quote from: Ada Thorold on August 29, 2014, 08:32:46 AM
Good morning all,

Thank you,

~A~

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I have already booked my return for 7 before all the cheap tickets sold out. I am sure Lincoln will provide a good pub to accommodate me for the intervening hours.

~A~

The Widow Cullen's Well on Steep Hill is Lincoln's preferred steampunk-friendly hostelry (although by the end of a long day of steampunk overload you may want a bit of peace and quiet  ;D )

Ada Thorold

Quote from: Michael Farley on August 29, 2014, 07:19:44 PM
Quote from: Ada Thorold on August 29, 2014, 08:32:46 AM
Good morning all,

Thank you,

~A~

~A~

The Widow Cullen's Well on Steep Hill is Lincoln's preferred steampunk-friendly hostelry (although by the end of a long day of steampunk overload you may want a bit of peace and quiet  ;D )
Sounds good, thank you for the tip.

~A~

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

As this year's Asylum is almost upon us, we'd like to extend a warm welcome from the Lincoln Steampunk Society, as the winners of the World's Most Steampunk Location (although the prize must still be in the post, eh?).  For those of you arriving early that week, we will still be having our regular Wednesday meet-up upstairs in the Widow Cullen's Well (cracking atmosphere and the cheapest beer in Lincoln; also try the chocolate stout, the stuff of legend!), and everyone is welcome to join us.  Something that has also become something of a tradition now, is a 'landing party' at the same venue on Thursday, for early arrivals, traders and those who want to extend the weekend.  You'll also see a healthy amount of LSS members out on that night as well.  Then of course the weekend kicks off properly!  We look forward to seeing you all, and we'd like to extend our services if we can as unofficial guides if needed. 

All the best, and Be Splendid!
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Captain Lister Maylin

Zoinks! How can this be next week?   :o

It was only January when I bought the tickets.

*stares at list of all the brilliant ideas for projects etc I had*

Oh well, see you all next Friday  :)
Is it supposed to be doing that?

SteamBlast Mary

Dedicated to all those getting into a tizzy about what to prepare or wear.

'Twas the week before the Asylum, and all through my flat
Not an item was finished, not skirt, shirt or hat.
My projects were flung on the floor without care,
In hopes that some miracle would occur there.
I was at my sewing machine when I should've been in bed,
Thoughts of pure panic going 'round in my head.

But I'm missing the point, I'm there to have fun,
Who cares for the things that I won't get done?
And so we gather our things and load up our cars,
To meet up with our kind in Lincoln's fine bars.
We pack our finery, check it's all there,
Nerf guns and gladrags- and the steam bear!

On goggles! On waistcoats! On bowlers and toppers!
On blouses! On braces! For nothing can stop us!

For Steampunks it is the highlight of our year,
And never fails to bring lots of good cheer.
The tea party, the soiree, the grand Empire Ball;
Lashings of fun (and gin) for all.
The message, let's share it, give it, lend it,
Is:  Happy Asylum to all, and remember- BE SPLENDID!

~ J. Bannister.

(with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore).
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'