News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

BUYER BEWARE: myself

Started by elShoggotho, April 04, 2014, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimnir

His facebook acc't and page are still announcing new items. If he has the money to invest in new stock he has it to repay his debts. Just search elShoggotho on FB, he's not hard to find :(
Kindest regards, Raven

Argus Fairbrass

I'm really having a hard time taking this in, and I'm extremely saddened by it. Seems like elShoggotho's just been around for ever, never seen any indication that he would pull a stunt like this.

Given how well known he is to many of us, and how public his profile is in many ways, I have a feeling there must be more to the details than meets the eye.

Nevertheless, regretfully I have to agree that on the surface this legitimately appears to be unscrupulous deception on his part. People need to be alerted and it seems some peer pressure would not be inappropriate.  :-\
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

SeVeNeVeS

So why has Mr shoggy not explained himself and replied to this thread he started??

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and still expecting more business.

Too busy playing Minecraft I suppose  ::)

So much for being splendid and being a gentlemanly Steampunk  :-\

~SeVeN~

akumabito

Sooo... now what? How do we as a site/community deal with something like this..? We can't really force Shoggo to pay his due.. do we kick him in the nuts and ban him from the forum? Do we attempt to raise some $$ to reimburse Legba? I kinda feel bothered about this whole situation on a personal level - but I don't really know what to do about it..

1so-static

Quote from: akumabito on May 11, 2014, 05:43:44 PM
Sooo... now what? How do we as a site/community deal with something like this..? We can't really force Shoggo to pay his due.. do we kick him in the nuts and ban him from the forum? Do we attempt to raise some $$ to reimburse Legba? I kinda feel bothered about this whole situation on a personal level - but I don't really know what to do about it..

Or could the community come together and make what hasn't been made?
all it takes is some teamwork ...some wood - a few wires - a bit of metalwork - some solid steampunky ideas and lots of hot coffee

....the electronics I could handle very easily... and willing to give up some $$ and time to do it

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on May 11, 2014, 01:19:08 PM
So why has Mr shoggy not explained himself and replied to this thread he started??

Too busy playing Minecraft I suppose  ::)

So much for being splendid and being a gentlemanly Steampunk  :-\

~SeVeN~

Well quite, it's just weird isn't it and that's why I think something's gone down with him. Not that I'm trying to let him off the hook, but this seems very out of character. Given the amount of profit made compared to reputation lost, I wouldn't have thought this was worth it even as a sneakily devised long con, so what the hell's he playing at? It just plain doesn't make sense.

As for what we do about it? other than essentially blacklisting the guy I don't really know. I don't personally know him or live anywhere near him.

Iso-static, I can't speak on that idea as sadly I'm not a maker. As I suspect you may be discovering not every Steampunk fan necessarily is. I've slightly modded a couple of amps in my time but that's about it. Still those that are might be willing to consider it, and I'd certainly consider a donation to the idea because this as we say, is bang out of order!

akumabito

Quote from: 1so-static on May 11, 2014, 06:13:40 PM

Or could the community come together and make what hasn't been made?
all it takes is some teamwork ...some wood - a few wires - a bit of metalwork - some solid steampunky ideas and lots of hot coffee

....the electronics I could handle very easily... and willing to give up some $$ and time to do it

Excellent suggestion! I wouldn't know where to start though -electronics aren't exactly my forte. I hope we have some knowledgeable folks around here that could help out. I'd be happy to donate to the cause.. :)

grimnir

I can do leather but the rest is pretty much out of left field for me :) If we could somehow get something going though I'll add what I can!
Kindest regards, Raven

grimnir

His latest item has just turned up in a Steampunk group I'm in on deviantArt. I have requested that either he ir I am removed from the group as I do not want my wares associated with his.
Kindest regards, Raven

Legba

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on May 11, 2014, 08:45:11 AM
I'm really having a hard time taking this in, and I'm extremely saddened by it. Seems like elShoggotho's just been around for ever, never seen any indication that he would pull a stunt like this.

Given how well known he is to many of us, and how public his profile is in many ways, I have a feeling there must be more to the details than meets the eye.

Nevertheless, regretfully I have to agree that on the surface this legitimately appears to be unscrupulous deception on his part. People need to be alerted and it seems some peer pressure would not be inappropriate.  :-\

I thought that given his well known status there would be no problems.  I am not sure if it came down to he really did not know how to build it, or if he just spent the money and said never mind it.

L
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Legba

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on May 11, 2014, 01:19:08 PM

Too busy playing Minecraft I suppose  ::)

So much for being splendid and being a gentlemanly Steampunk  :-\

~SeVeN~

My theory is he only posted this here as I had let him know I planned to and he did so to deny me the ability to do so.

L
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Legba

Akumbito,
I really appreciate the thought but this is only on one person to repay me, and he clearly has no interest in that.

L

D.Oakes

Quote from: Legba on May 14, 2014, 07:50:51 PM

Akumbito,
I really appreciate the thought but this is only on one person to repay me, and he clearly has no interest in that.

L

I think the big thing is that none of us like seeing a friend and fellow member get shafted out of any money.  You have always been a generous and awesome member of this forum, if was any good at electronics I'd gladly step up to the plate.  Sadly I sold my soldering kit so even my shoddy skills cannot be put to use.  That said, if somebody makes the necessary device, I will gladly sew up a cover for it. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

1so-static

Quote from: D.Oakes on May 14, 2014, 10:37:17 PM

I think the big thing is that none of us like seeing a friend and fellow member get shafted out of any money. 

...that's a true word
I have not been here long and I was affected by it...mainly because I run a company designing precision amplifiers, plus other electronics; I found it hard to take that someone would do this and coldly almost brag about it. shameful. I hope the guy gets it together and pays back what doesn't belong to him.

Legba

Quote from: D.Oakes on May 14, 2014, 10:37:17 PM
Quote from: Legba on May 14, 2014, 07:50:51 PM

Akumbito,

L

I think the big thing is that none of us like seeing a friend and fellow member get shafted out of any money.  You have always been a generous and awesome member of this forum, if was any good at electronics I'd gladly step up to the plate.  Sadly I sold my soldering kit so even my shoddy skills cannot be put to use.  That said, if somebody makes the necessary device, I will gladly sew up a cover for it. 

Thanks! 

L

Legba

Here are a few of the last messages from the Cad, note the time lines:

Re: What is the status
« Sent to: Legba  on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
yes. Having a break today.

elShoggotho

« Sent to: Legba  on: June 23, 2013, 11:15:10 pm »

I was about to contact you. No intention to drag it out. Stuff doesn't work according to the plan I had, because some components can't be obtained anymore. Caps with the values needed simply aren't produced anymore, and replacement circuits give undesirable results. Changing the base circuit to another one that uses the same tubes. More news when they happen.

elShoggotho

« Sent to: Legba  on: June 28, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »

Not really, at least not noticeably. Already got everything I need.

elShoggotho
« Sent to: Legba  on: July 17, 2013, 07:00:45 am »

Expect a tracking number within the next two weeks, as soon as financially possible. Finishing some local commissions to get it going.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: July 31, 2013, 11:19:01 am »

End of the week, most likely. Probably more like Monday.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: August 08, 2013, 05:27:43 am »

Yup. What you will get in any case is an invoice with my signature, so you have something tangible.               ****Never Got Anything****

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: August 08, 2013, 02:47:59 pm »

No. What you will get is an invoice to have legal leverage against me. I seem to need that pressure to get my shit together. I'll finish stuff ASAP and send it your way.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: August 17, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »

I always told you that you should NOT send the full sum before anything was finished. You insisted. You will get a working device, that's not the question. The question is WHEN you will get it.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: August 18, 2013, 05:31:09 am »

For the record: I feel like shit at the moment for several reasons, not the least of them being the fact that I continue to disappoint you. You will get a fully working amplifier. Everything to build it is here, I just need to DO it. There's also more stuff to do, with a pessing deadline. Local steampunk party on September 6, I need to have goggles and rayguns ready for sale. If everything goes well, I can finish everything - including your stuff - until then. I just suspect that nothing goes well.

elShoggotho
Immortal

Legba

More Excerpts:

« Sent to: Legba  on: September 07, 2013, 08:54:43 am »

back on it. Hangover achieved, but that's the nature of the game. What's your current address?

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:49 pm »

I have your address now - and you will receive the device. Possibly in two shipments, with the tubes extra.             

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: December 15, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »
Reply with quoteQuote ReplyReply Remove this messageRemove   

At this point, I can't say anything that would convince you otherwise. Only action can do so.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: March 01, 2014, 04:10:21 am »
Reply with quoteQuote ReplyReply Remove this messageRemove                            ****Me letting him know I would post this thread*****

Either that, or you give me another month, till the end of March. Nothing to lose, faint chance of getting something. My words mean nothing anymore though, not after all what didn't happen. Do what you feel is right.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: April 04, 2014, 09:38:56 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote ReplyReply Remove this messageRemove        *****Him Telling me he doesn't care and to pack sand****

Do so if you must. Right now, I have too many imminent problems to care much about my online reputation. You might still receive something - honor demands it - but as it stands, there is no way to give any timetable. You don't need to reply to this. Do your thing, it's the only thing left in this shameful affair.

elShoggotho
Immortal

« Sent to: Legba  on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote ReplyReply Remove this messageRemove   

Don't bother with the buyer beware thread, I'll make one myself.

Maets

1so-static

Quote from: Legba on May 16, 2014, 11:03:55 PM

I was about to contact you. No intention to drag it out. Stuff doesn't work according to the plan I had, because some components can't be obtained anymore. Caps with the values needed simply aren't produced anymore, and replacement circuits give undesirable results. Changing the base circuit to another one that uses the same tubes. More news when they happen.

That's IT ! ! ! ! right there...

What a steaming load of sloppy, turgid, yellow colonic gravy of the first water - That is enough to tell me he has not the competence to do what he claimed.  Total rubbish.

Firstly all capacitor preferred values are openly available for every requirement whether it be Mica - Polyester, Aluminium, Tantalum, multi-layer ceramic or any other material.

You can make up capacitor values specific to need to three decimal places at 1% tolerance; deploying them in series or parallel depending on need.

In the context of a tube amplifier. Capacitors are used for either decoupling from a DC source or used as an "FDR".

...ask him what an FDR is

pooobah >:(  ....it's enough to make yer blood boil  >:(

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Legba

Quote from: 1so-static on May 17, 2014, 08:55:19 AM

What a steaming load of sloppy, turgid, yellow colonic gravy of the first water - That is enough to tell me he has not the competence to do what he claimed.  Total rubbish.

Firstly all capacitor preferred values are openly available for every requirement whether it be Mica - Polyester, Aluminium, Tantalum, multi-layer ceramic or any other material.

You can make up capacitor values specific to need to three decimal places at 1% tolerance; deploying them in series or parallel depending on need.

In the context of a tube amplifier. Capacitors are used for either decoupling from a DC source or used as an "FDR".

Thanks for letting me know that!  I suspected at several points he was out of his depth and instead of just admitting that he decided to keep the money and not care.  Very costly lesson.

L

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Legba on May 19, 2014, 07:54:25 PM

Thanks for letting me know that!  I suspected at several points he was out of his depth and instead of just admitting that he decided to keep the money and not care.  Very costly lesson.

L

I would request Mr Legba that if you hear anything from El Shoggotho as regards attempting to compensate you, or even apologising and showing the slightest sign of remorse you let us know. I would also appreciate some kind of statement from Shoggotho as it appears he's still here. Still I assume I'd be right in thinking that at present this situation remains the same.

Legba

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on May 21, 2014, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Legba on May 19, 2014, 07:54:25 PM

L

I would request Mr Legba that if you hear anything from El Shoggotho as regards attempting to compensate you, or even apologising and showing the slightest sign of remorse you let us know. I would also appreciate some kind of statement from Shoggotho as it appears he's still here. Still I assume I'd be right in thinking that at present this situation remains the same.

Absolutely! So far nothing has come save the messages I posted above (and I don't believe that an apology was in there) and he has  made ZERO (0) effort as to repaying me.  I even offered to forget the amp and have a Nixie tube clock made and sent, no such luck.  I even said just pay back $600 and I will forget the rest  ( A $1,200 loss mind you!) and to that I got nah!  So I have no doubt I will never see a dime from him or receiver any device.  I let him know just send any parts that were purchased and I will ebay them and try to recoup something- got zilch!

If I lived in his country (I know where he is) I would try legal action, but being  across the globe in the wilds of Alaska I know that would be a further waste of time.

L

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Legba on May 21, 2014, 07:51:13 PM
Absolutely! So far nothing has come save the messages I posted above (and I don't believe that an apology was in there) and he has  made ZERO (0) effort as to repaying me.

Thank you, I didn't assume anything had changed but just wanted to clarify that.

1so-static

Is there a lawyer in the house?