News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Good/reliable skeletonised pocket watch?

Started by emacsomancer, April 21, 2014, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emacsomancer

Can I have recommendations on good, reliable (as in not dying/breaking easily) skeleton/skeletonised/skeletonized pocket watches?

I would generally go for an older/antique watch, but there are vanishingly few of those which are skeletonised.

[I don't necessarily mind a Chinese movement - I have a reasonably attractive skeletonised wrist-watch with what must be a Chinese movement inside and I've had it and used it daily for at least 3-4 years (and it was ~10 years old when I bought it), so I would consider it reliable (though it is bloody loud, probably because of its cheap plastic "crystals").]

This one looks interesting, but I have no idea how good it may be/not be:  http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/gents-rotary-skeleton-dial-mechanical-pocket-watch-MP0072521-p5897

emacsomancer

Michael Farley

Quote from: emacsomancer on April 21, 2014, 12:17:28 AM
This one looks interesting, but I have no idea how good it may be/not be:  http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/gents-rotary-skeleton-dial-mechanical-pocket-watch-MP0072521-p5897
I've had a Rotary skeleton pocket watch for the last few years (the MP00723/21). I used it every day at work for about a year but then I changed jobs. It wasn't practical any more so now I only wear it at weekends.

I've never had any problem with it and it's always kept good time (even when it's been sat unwound in the bottom of a drawer for weeks at a time). The one you posted is a slightly different model (MP00725/21) but the movements look virtually identical, so I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

Herbert West

It really is a pity about the quality of Chinese watches. I was looking some over at a convention yesterday and some of the designs are rather striking.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

emacsomancer

I actually ended up getting a "Grossex" Swiss movement with Incabloc off of eBay. I would guess it's from the 70s or 80s; it's partially skeletonised and in a hunter case, and was less than US$100, so I'm satisfied for the nonce.

Capt. Dirigible

I've had  three skeleton Hunter watches all bought from  China for amounts less than their postage. They look nice but none of them lasted longer than about  6 months before they either broke, or stopped keeping good time.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Drew P

Emacsomancer, surely, you must now post several pics of your find for all to oggle!  ;D
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

emacsomancer

Quote from: Drew P on May 16, 2014, 03:55:02 AM
Emacsomancer, surely, you must now post several pics of your find for all to oggle!  ;D

Here are a couple:

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'