News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steamtown USA (Sign-up)

Started by Stormcat, May 24, 2014, 08:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose Inverness

Sorry to double-post. As it happens, Miss Periscope and I have decided to share the character of Mr. Gundermann. I felt he ought to be introduced properly, and so here it is. He currently lives alone, near town. He is excessively wealthy and as you might have noticed, a bit of a brooder.

Here is a roughly-sketched and UNFINISHED map of Steamtown! At least, my understanding of it. Please feel free to sketch your own and upload it. I'll put mine behind a spoiler in case you want to make sure to draw yours without any inadvertent influence.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Hopefully you'll find a way to zoom in..... in the meantime I will work on making it larger/clearer.

The bit in the center which appears to be couches is shops, including the Cake & Kettle (closer to the town hall), and the Inverness' Gallery of Art.
The thing (lower left quadrant) which looks grasshopperish is a bridge over the railroad tracks, though I've placed it slightly wrong... it should be a bit closer to the forest.
That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...

MWBailey

I be alive and well, and life be gettin' 'ectic.

For ten years, I've only occasionally got out the concertina and honked around on it aimlessly, as there were few or no other 'tina players in my locale. Now there's a jam group starting up, so I'm trying to get up to speed in addition to my fiddling, banjoing, etc., plus taking part in a guitar class in order to keep a friend's course program afloat (if I quit, several other students will probably quit as well. My friend doesn't get paid for it, but we -the dulcimer bunch- need guitarists for accompaniment and beat when there's no bassist available, so yeah).

My folks are in need of both my driving and chore services, as Mom is recovering from/dealing with an ongoing physical problem; Dad is in the midst of a surgery process. For the nonce, he's unable to drive and in fact do much of anything due to the danger of messing up the work that's been done and is ongoing. Which means I'm going like heck about 80% of the time, Taking care of the house, &c.

You'll see me flitting about on facebook (which I'm still not sure I really "get" if you know what I mean), not because I'm a social butterfly, but because I now seem to be either the only or one of maybe two people who take care of the Dulcimers' FB page (that's my "Play Director's Blurb" on there each month). I expressed interest in, and in fact joined several groups (including a couple of concertina groups, whence came the info about the startup of the jam group), so that's ongoing; such also help me get info about performance opportunities, as per a dulcimer colleague's suggestion.

I'm about to/thinking about going to step down from the Dulcimer Society's Play Director position, but that actually increases my work load for the next couple of months, while I get the files and calendars (the Events Scheduled and the Events Call-Up calendars for preparing to schedule/solicit/handle plays in the coming year for whoever takes over), and the FB page particulars associated with the position in order for the handover.

All that and the regular day-to-day crud have me a bit busy at the moment.

I'll try to post something soon.

MWBailey
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Rose Inverness

Does the map in my previous post (see spoiler) make sense to anyone/everyone else? (wouldn't that be amazing!)

If locations are agreeable, I'd be happy to put a little more effort into the rendering of it. If you object to where I envision your abode located (or anything else, for that matter) I'd be interested to hear where you had imagined it, or see your version! :-)

~Rose

~William Cullen Bryant

Argus McJohnsten

Is it too late to offer my services as a technician/mechanic? I would do the fixing, repairing and general upkeep for the townspeople and shop owners. I don't need much for living space, just a room to rent with a roof and bed.

I'm very new to all this yet, hence why my personal description is still learning.
Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.

Stormcat

certainly! we're always welcoming new players!

Arabella Periscope

Dear Rose,

The Map looks very promising.  I want to live there already!  Is there a river and a pool?  For skating in the winter and swimming in the summer? 

I am drawing my own house, and everything fits but the bathroom.

Keep up the good work!

Arabella
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Rose Inverness

Lol, Arabella. Thank you!!! :)  For a pool, what if it were an indoor one? With a large greenhouse-like structure encasing it and vines twining up it at random, though not completely covering? Definitely there is a river. Yes I will mark that more clearly. Where I wrote 'An Eastern Port' is where I'd imagined the part of the river that's nearest the town. Beyond the extent of the map, I imagined the river swinging up to the north. (BTW is your character also named Arabella Periscope? I had assumed and then wondered if my assumption was correct?)

Welcome Mr. McJohnsten! We are so glad to have you. What shall your character (or characters!) name(s) be? So far we each have any range of 1-6 characters apiece. Unless you include cats.... then it's more.

I believe there are rooms to rent above some of the shops along main street, although if you read some of the game thread and the earlier bits of this thread and someone else's house appeals to you, feel free to ask specifically. No guarantees, but who knows?

Also it seems that pets are encouraged. Maybe you'll find some nice unclaimed animal in-game if you haven't an idea for one already ;-)

~William Cullen Bryant

MWBailey

The map looks good to me.

Yes, I'm still alive. Maybe I'll finally get down to tying up where Starbridge has been and what's going on now and has been. I think it will involve the Inuit who showed up at Snowfair (yes, he did come through the machine. At least, I think I remember an Inuit (eskimo)).

MWBailey

Ah, well. A bit of weirdness ( I did mention the Chthuloid flu, after all) replete with inadvertent Inuit travellers,  to explain why Starbridge and all its inhabitants have been incommunicado for so long. Hopefully it won't derail the rest of the storyline.

Rose Inverness

I just love the contraptions you devise! Welcome back, Bailey!

I'm also curious as the ages of everyone's characters.... ?

~William Cullen Bryant

Stormcat

Quote from: Rose Inverness on March 21, 2015, 07:05:53 PM
I just love the contraptions you devise! Welcome back, Bailey!

I'm also curious as the ages of everyone's characters.... ?

I honestly don't think the age matters much, unless the character is a child. I'm perfectly fine with describing the Aquos couple as "young newlyweds" and leaving it at that.

So anyway, I wanted to have the spring festival occur around easter time, but it looks like I'll be visiting relatives. Relatives that don't have internet. Maybe we could move it around?

Rose Inverness

Fine by me to move the festival around.

We don't have to know ages but I'm curious. One of my flock is old enough to have a mysterious romance, but not old enough for it to be with anyone over the age of say, 20. Even I don't yet know whether it is with a named character or not.

Its possible it will fizzle as mysteriously as it bloomed, as many teenage crushes do.

~William Cullen Bryant

MWBailey

Starbridge is older than dirt. Adelbert is difficult to gauge, but let's say over 25 to be safe (I'm not sure he's entirely human; his name comes from faerie mythology, or at least I think it does). Moxon is about 20-ish. The housekeeper is indeterminate; she looks "ageless," if that makes any sense, but is otherwise obviously far out of her teens, probably somewhere close to forty. The Inuit are youngish, the male in his middle twenties, the female about 19 or so. I've not yet devised names for them.

CloudWolf

can i join this, to quote mal 'mighty fine shindig'?
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

Stormcat

Quote from: CloudWolf on March 31, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
can i join this, to quote mal 'mighty fine shindig'?

Of course! just state where you'll be living, what you'll  do and how many people will be with you (You can have up to six)

CloudWolf

just me i'll be living aboard my airship so i'm mobile, please see the thread i created about an rp based on a novel it explains why i moved to steamtown :)
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

Rose Inverness

Quote from: MWBailey on March 31, 2015, 03:30:27 AM
Starbridge is older than dirt. Adelbert is difficult to gauge, but let's say over 25 to be safe (I'm not sure he's entirely human; his name comes from faerie mythology, or at least I think it does). Moxon is about 20-ish. The housekeeper is indeterminate; she looks "ageless," if that makes any sense, but is otherwise obviously far out of her teens, probably somewhere close to forty. The Inuit are youngish, the male in his middle twenties, the female about 19 or so. I've not yet devised names for them.

Love the 'older than dirt'. Lol. Really, from faerie mythology? How excellent. I looked it up trying to find a reference and didn't but am intrigued. I did find an alternate spelling in ancient germanic: Adalberht. Very interesting.

I shall let you decide if one of your young men is the one seeking courtship with my eldest. Or maybe they're simply good friends. Friendship is of a high value, especially in a town where everyone knows everyone else (well... except those folk that don't get out much I suppose?).

Also: Stormcat, is my most recent post in the 'choose your own adventure' fashion acceptable for this thread, or should I delete one of the versions? Will delete the darker version if I am asked to delete one.  ::) Ah, the struggles of a writer.... choosing....

~William Cullen Bryant

Stormcat

Quote from: Rose Inverness on March 31, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
Also: Stormcat, is my most recent post in the 'choose your own adventure' fashion acceptable for this thread, or should I delete one of the versions? Will delete the darker version if I am asked to delete one.  ::) Ah, the struggles of a writer.... choosing....

I would prefer you only have one option, the choose-your-own-adventure tends to lead to too many threads and general confusion.

Rose Inverness

Quote from: Stormcat on March 31, 2015, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Rose Inverness on March 31, 2015, 07:49:25 PM

I would prefer you only have one option, the choose-your-own-adventure tends to lead to too many threads and general confusion.

Fixed, for whoever is going next on the story thread.

~William Cullen Bryant

Stormcat

I have returned from my Easter sojourn, let the festivities begin! that is... if you want.

Arabella Periscope

I am working on my Easter hat.  For Heaven's sake, someone send a runner when the festivities begin this time, so I am not too late!!!  (With a splendid hat.)
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Rose Inverness

YAY welcome back.

Has Sir Whiskers approved Arabella and Anna's proposal of a flower mural for a wall near the town square? Or do we actually need to draw what it would look like, or ask the shop-owner whose wall it would be on rather than the mayor?

~William Cullen Bryant

Stormcat

Quote from: Rose Inverness on April 08, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
YAY welcome back.

Has Sir Whiskers approved Arabella and Anna's proposal of a flower mural for a wall near the town square? Or do we actually need to draw what it would look like, or ask the shop-owner whose wall it would be on rather than the mayor?

the flower mural has been approved. You could draw it out and add it to the main thread.

Rose Inverness

Quote from: Stormcat on April 08, 2015, 06:59:48 PM
Quote from: Rose Inverness on April 08, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
YAY welcome back.

the flower mural has been approved. You could draw it out and add it to the main thread.

Huzzah!! And thank you!! ;-)

p.s. love the cats playing with maypole ribbons idea. So funny. They would....

~William Cullen Bryant

MWBailey

Can't really promise much; life is still hectic around here. I'll try to post more often in any case.