News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Antikythera Mechanism Build.

Started by Mechanism Man, July 08, 2014, 07:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladtepes

Hi, I'm new here and this thread immediately caught my eye - as an enthusiast of ancient history and clockwork tech.

Bloody god job !  Keep it up !

:)

Mechanism Man

Okay - I'm still not breaking any speed records with this project, but I thought that it was high time I gave a quick update as to how I was getting on.
So, the new planet unit is now finished and working exactly as it should, and is definately smoother than the MK1 version. The frames are stained and varnished, and all the remaining gear wheels for the main part of the mechanism are now marked up, centre drilled and ready to cut out.
Lots of hours done and lots still to go, but I'm getting there!

More soon.
Dave.
:-)
Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.

RJBowman

Is there a CNC jigsaw that can cut out those gears?

Mechanism Man

The jury is still out on that particular question...
For stability, strength and ease of construction, I use 6mm birch ply for virtually the whole thing - there are some other woods used for some of the components, but the gears and frames are all 6mm ply. Unfortunately, because the pitch of my gears goes down to just 1.4mm in some instances, I have not found anyone that can cut that thickness of wood down to that sort of accuracy in a single pass without smashing the teeth to pieces. Laser cutting is generally horrible - lots of laser distortion when cutting ply - and water jet cutting is very much the same.
So these will all be hand cut on my trusty fret saw (and I'll save a small fortune in cnc cutting services!). I'm practiced enough now to know that my cutting is accurate enough, and probably not as slow as you'd think! I also think that it's in the spirit of the original to hand cut the gearing - even if it is with a machine rather than a file.
Right, where's my dust mask...
Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.

Banfili

Beautiful, and even more beautiful!

I would love one of these! ;D

Serrac

If the pitch (or module) of the gears are all the same, it might be worth hobbing them after being rough cut - Have a look at "free hobbing" for some ideas.
I have cut some gears in nylon using the method, and it worked quite well.
If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)

Mechanism Man

Quote from: Serrac on July 28, 2016, 12:04:27 AM
If the pitch (or module) of the gears are all the same, it might be worth hobbing them after being rough cut - Have a look at "free hobbing" for some ideas.
I have cut some gears in nylon using the method, and it worked quite well.

Hi Serrac, it's only taken me a month to get back to you... sorry...
Unfortunately the module of the gear wheels changes a fair bit throughout the machine. This is almost forced upon you as you start to learn how the machines anatomy is effected by gear wheel size and position.
I fully intended to keep the module constant through the entire build to keep things easy, but nothing about any of the build has been quite as straightforward as I'd planned. I now fully understand why more people haven't built one!
The gear cutting is coming on really well so I'll hopefully have some proper progress to report very soon.
A proper gear cutting hob would be a fantastic thing though, and of course the skill to use it...
Calvin and Hobbs.

Mechanism Man

At long last,  tonight has seen me cut the last gear teeth for the last few gears - hooray!! Just a few spokes and varnish to go to see the whole batch finished, and then it's the fun bit - assembly!!

Calvin and Hobbs.

Banfili

Mechanism Man

Another photo of all the parts together - all looks a bit daunting when I see it all like this. In total there are 52 gears and 3181 teeth, and each tooth needed two cuts. I need better glasses...
More soon.

(And yes Banfili - I will!

Calvin and Hobbs.

Banfili

Waiting patiently - love this woodworking stuff! ;D

Maets

Mechanism Man

All cut and varnished - let the assembly begin!

Calvin and Hobbs.

Mechanism Man

First gear wheels going in at last - hopefully progress will be quite quick for a while. This is the fun bit.   :-)

Calvin and Hobbs.

Will Howard

Looking forward to seeing this complete.  Incidentally, have you heard that they have discovered human remains in further excavations of the wreck?
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Crescat Scientia

Just dropping on a reminder to come back and check progress later. 

This is a remarkable project!
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Mechanism Man

Thanks Crescat - I almost feel like I'm on the home straight now. All the prep and planning is paying off with a build that has - so far at least - caused me very few problems and is actually progressing reasonably quickly.
Hi Will - yes I had picked up the news about the remains. They are working hard to bring up as much as possible from the wreck, but I don't think that they expected to find a person after all this time!
Calvin and Hobbs.

Mechanism Man

Finding spare time is always a problem, but most of the main gear box gearing is now finally in and working. Next job is to fix the gearing to the shafts to prevent slippage, and then it's on to fitting the second frame (which is also the front of the machine) to properly locate the other ends of the shafts. After that I can fit the big planet drive unit to the back of the machine (which I've already built) and the rear frame to hold it all in place.
I'm getting there at last!

More soon.
Calvin and Hobbs.

Mechanism Man

First non functional, cobbled together, and generally bodged test assembly!
Feeling very, very pleased.
Now to do it again, but properly.

Calvin and Hobbs.

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Banfili

Oooh! Nice, like the other one! Well done, Mechanism! ;D

Mechanism Man

After two and a half years the final chassis for my machine is finally finished. At 'blimmin last...
Tonight is going to see me start work on the final two bevel gears that are the final drive for the moon, and then it's time to make the dials to bring it to life. This is the bit that I've been really looking forward to.
Can't wait to get it finished now.

Calvin and Hobbs.

von Corax

Quote from: Mechanism Man on January 19, 2017, 06:41:17 PM
This is the bit that I've been really looking forward to.

As have we all, sir. Tho' 'tis a thing of beauty as it stands.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Banfili

Oh, my word! ;D
What stunningly brilliant workmanship, sir!

Hez