News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Persona names

Started by Vienna Fahrmann, October 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman762000

Are you ready for a long story?
Well my username came from my nickname (dman). See when I was a teen-ager, I had so many nick-names that people really did not know what to call me. All the nick-names started with the letter "d". One night we were picking up one of my buddies girlfriend and she said something to me and at the end of it she ran through about five of my nick's before exclaiming "what the hell am I supposed to call you, dman?"  It kinda stuck with me. The 76 is the year I was born and the 2000 is the year that I started using that as my username on the net. Google me and everything you see should be me. At least at last googling it was.
"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

Per Ardua Surgo

Micro

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on August 31, 2008, 04:29:28 AM
A title of a book I read as a child, where the protagonists name happened to be the same as mine, and I always wished to live his life :)

Quote from: Micro on August 31, 2008, 03:49:33 AM
I'm so short I'm "micro". :)
*High five!* Us shorties have to stick together ;D

I'm so short, it's a low five. :( *low fives!*
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Emmeline X

Quote from: Micro on August 31, 2008, 09:15:07 PM
A title of a book I read as a child, where the protagonists name happened to be the same as mine, and I always wished to live his life :)

*is also vertically challenged*  ;)
J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl

Tanuki

Quote from: Emmeline X on August 31, 2008, 09:25:40 PM

At least you're all not too damned tall, like I am. There is not a pair of pants in the world which fits me properly, and I have to look down at everybody.
Untitled Steampunk rap album coming soon

Lilith-Nighthawk

*is 4' 10 or 158cm* And i'm not going to grow any more according to my doctor.
"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."

Emmeline X

Ah, Lillith, you're the same height as my mother. I am 5 ft. When I hug my mum it's the only time I tower over another adult  :D

Jakoby T Simmeon

*thinks VERY Un-Gentlemanly thoughts about all these wonderfully small packages of pulchritude*
Adventurer - Contraptionist - Scientist - Slightly Mad

Mrs. Sullivan

Mrs. Sullivan - that would be the wife of Mr. Sullivan, which I am.

I have another name, Lacrima, that I have used on nearly all my Internet forays for about the last 15 years.  It was my "handle" on alt.gothic, and it stuck (I have many friends who call me Lacrima IRL).

What cheeses me off is that way back when, I was the only "Lacrima" I had ever heard of, and most of my online accounts were under that name.  Nowdays, I have tried to open accounts using that name, and get the reply "that user name is taken".  Indeed! :P
I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

Pinktutu

Well, it all started in 1998. Teachers were on this kick about making everyone feel good about themselves. So each classroom had to do these little exercises where you had to write something nice about everyone. Once the pages were filled out, the teacher would give them to the students for all the fuzzy niceness that it would cause. (Yeah right.) Well, on this particular day, I had several friends in my class. [Background information: I wore a lot of black at the time...] These friends knew that by the time I saw the sheet that it would be too late. It would have already circulated around the room for everyone to read. These friends wrote: "Janessa leads a double life. She goes home, puts on a pink tu-tu and dances the polka" and "It's true! I have pictures!". It ended up becoming a huge joke between the three of us and they began taunting me in the hallways with "Pink Tu-TU!!!" It stuck. Somehow, it became my nickname. If you see a Pinktutu on the web...more likely than not, it is me.

The End.

okoshima

not my real name... i think if i remember correctly i came up with it for a char in a rpg my friend made... then it sorta stayed in my head and i went under many handles online... then it surfaced again in a little rpg called runescape...  then i started to use it as a forum handle alas someone has stolen it at last google search... but if you see okoshima in lower case it will probably be me

Marrock

Marrock is a Celtic name from Wales, he was a knight of King Arthur's court who was secretly a werewolf, and Volsung is from the Nordic Volsung Saga.

I originally started using them years ago for an online game I play and it sorta stuck.

Before that it was Journeyman, taken from The Journeyman Project, but the character was a psychotic sci-fi cyborg cab driver, owner and operator of The Armageddon Cab Co.

Demosthenes

"I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House — with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
"Kerplach" = "Guv'nah!"

Micro

Quote from: Tanuki on August 31, 2008, 09:28:49 PM

At least you're all not too damned tall, like I am. There is not a pair of pants in the world which fits me properly, and I have to look down at everybody.

All my pants are too long, and I still can wear clothing out of the kid's section. Like the 6-12 section of Walmart? Ya, I can wear that stuff. :(
I have a 26" waist. :|
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Tanuki

Quote from: Micro on September 01, 2008, 01:00:56 AM
Quote from: Tanuki on August 31, 2008, 09:28:49 PM

All my pants are too long, and I still can wear clothing out of the kid's section. Like the 6-12 section of Walmart? Ya, I can wear that stuff. :(
I have a 26" waist. :|

Sounds wondrous! Care to trade places?
Untitled Steampunk rap album coming soon

Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama is the main protagonist in a story (for a manga) that I was writing, set in an alternate world where fantasy creatures, such as Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Tengu, Youkai, etc were real, and as a result, a number of things were different from ours.

The story was set around the year 1500 in the Seiryuu Kingdom, which occupies what is modern SE China (from Fu-Chao to Shang-Hai, or Fukushu to Joukai, to use the Seiryu Japanese Dialect's names for the cities).  His given name means something like "Son of the Wildfire" (飛火郎) in the Seiryu dialect (basically a mish-mash of Kanto and Kansei with a lot of Chinese, German and Dwarvish loan-words in it, since the population is a mishmash of Japanese, Chinese, Germans and Dwarfs) and his family name means "Tall Mountain" (高山), which was also the name of the town his family was lords of... A few years before the start of the story, Orcs invaded from the foul borderlands between the Seiryuu Kingdom and the evil T'ang Ch'i (湯池... not sure if I got the Chinese reading of the charachters right) Empire and wiped out his entire family along with the rest of the town... The only reason he and his best friend survived was that, in accordance with tradition, the Heir to the lordship of the city, and the heir to the position of Commander of the City's military were required to learn sword-smithing so that they would learn to appreciate the true value of a good sword, and thus were both away from the city when it was sacked.

Essentially, it's a tale of redemption and Good winning against extremely long odds against Evil, and not simply because the heroes are "good" but because they actually know tactics and use their brains to thwart a cast of villains who've not only memorized the Evil Overlord's List, but also Sun Tzu's Art of War as well.

Basically I started using this name when I registered at an anime forum, and have used it ever since, out of convenience.
"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."

Lilith-Nighthawk

Quote from: Jakoby T Simmeon on August 31, 2008, 09:54:13 PM
*thinks VERY Un-Gentlemanly thoughts about all these wonderfully small packages of pulchritude*
*raises an eyebrow, then thinks un-lady like thoughts about the other small women* I'll admit it, women are just gorgeous.

Quote from: Emmeline X on August 31, 2008, 09:40:04 PM
Ah, Lillith, you're the same height as my mother. I am 5 ft. When I hug my mum it's the only time I tower over another adult  :D

Now imagine the horror of clothing shopping. 39-32-39 and only 4' 10" is beyond annoying when clothing shopping. I want to know why clothing stores think all tiny women have huge hips in relation to the bust region.
"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."

Demosthenes

Quote from: Lilith-Nighthawk on August 31, 2008, 09:37:12 PM

*is 4' 10 or 158cm* And i'm not going to grow any more according to my doctor.

That's quite 'hot' shall we say.

'hay!  this aint the 'what's your kink' thread

*Scurries off*
"I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House — with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
"Kerplach" = "Guv'nah!"

Magister

When I signed up, I hadn't thought of a steampunk persona name, (and to tell the truth, I still haven't) so I decided to go with a general title, something unique that I could wield with the definite article much as the Timelords do with their title/names. As I thought about it, my mind flashed back to one of my many forays into the dictionary, and recalled a title I stumbled across while looking for something else, that served as 1. An academic distinction (between Masters and Doctorate.) 2. A ruler (a Roman governor as I recall) and 3. A magician or wizard.

Thus a highly unique though geeky moniker that is simultaneously academic and occult with a slight hint of megalomania. I'd be hard pressed to find a better representation.

qui est in literis

I am mad, unmarried, and live by a Holmesian philosophy. It seemed appropriate for me.

Oh, and by the by... Being a student of Latin, I must say I very much like "Magister".
"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply

Emmeline X

Quote from: Lilith-Nighthawk on September 01, 2008, 04:18:01 AM
Now imagine the horror of clothing shopping. 39-32-39 and only 4' 10" is beyond annoying when clothing shopping. I want to know why clothing stores think all tiny women have huge hips in relation to the bust region.
I always have a nightmare when I try to buy a dress, I'm a UK size 8-10 and have a tiny back and waist but *ahem* a "generous" chest. So dresses that would fit me in the back don't fit me in the front, and dresses that would fit me in the front are like sacks! It's very annoying. I also get vexed that the petite clothing is for women from 4'11 to 5'3...That's a big difference! Petite things are always too long for me  :(

*sorry to veer off-topic!*

Lilith-Nighthawk

I say one of us starts a thread about issue with clothing fit.

Thorinis

My is simple name to a story hero I started writing and got through the first chapter before he got lost in the jungle of realities that rattle around in my head.
He who cannot adapt to what is around him is destined to be devoured by it.

Ky_phosis

Kyphosis is actually a medical term for a crippling spinal deformity, related to scoliosis and lordosis. The back hunches and outwardly can be compared to an osteoporosis hump. Yum! I picked it because it begins with the first two letters of my own first name, Kyly.

Quinnykins

It is simply a more nick-namey version of my... er, name. :D

Albrecht

The first name of my steampunk persona: Kapitän Albrecht Ernst Friedrich von Kober, Kaiserliches Zeppelinkorps