News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Persona names

Started by Vienna Fahrmann, October 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephele

Quote from: Kitty Palatine on January 03, 2018, 11:04:00 PM
On those are fantastic! If I could but ensure i would answer to any of them i would happily acquiesce to their usage

LOL!  I know -- cats don't answer to names (unless they feel like it).  Haha!

Uncle Shamus

The characters full name is Professor Shamus McCartney. Uncle Shamus is the short version. I used to work at a 1840's to 1900 historic site and did many characters. My 1840's was a Metis named Jean Paul Sawyer. I did a Irish printer from the 1870's name John Patrick McCartney. Uncle Shamus Started out as a story element for John Patrick. I also did a Victorian Style Magic show as Professor Shamus McCartney, the show was called Uncle Shamus's Secrets from the Victorian Parlour. 

traveling the down the road of life with a smile on face and a song in my heart.

Nephele

Welcome, Uncle Shamus.  Because one can never have too many steampunk aliases, have some anagrammed ones:

Macareus C. Smithyman
Chauncy Artemas Simm
Amicus Martyn McShea
Mr. Iacchus Maynsteam
Cyrus Micah Steamman
Mr. Amicus M. Chastenay
Mr. Amicus MacSnaythe
Mr. Mysticus A. Meachan

= I am Shamus McCartney

-- Nephele

D Judson Purcell

D Judson Purcell uses the three initials of my real name DJP. I wanted the first name to be simply an initial and for my known name to be the second Christian name - hence Judson. The D actually stands for Demetrius so it is somewhat understandable that such a person would prefer Judson which is far more user friendly. Either that or it is a family trait to use ones second name! Who can tell?
D Judson Purcell, Proprietor and Contraptionist
"I cannot guarantee that it will work, but I can guarantee that it will be late."

Nephele

Quote from: D Judson Purcell on January 20, 2018, 10:26:14 PM
D Judson Purcell uses the three initials of my real name DJP. I wanted the first name to be simply an initial and for my known name to be the second Christian name - hence Judson. The D actually stands for Demetrius so it is somewhat understandable that such a person would prefer Judson which is far more user friendly. Either that or it is a family trait to use ones second name! Who can tell?

Because one can never have enough steampunk personae, I have anagrammed a few for you:

Jesmond Epicurus Trudell
Jupiter Secundus Mordell
Jeronimus Clusterpuddle
Cedrus Proteus Jellimund
Julius Eldred Crumpstone
Julius Clemens Rudderpot
Lucetius Somerpuddle, Jnr
Jules Ricmund Proudsteel
Petronius Jules McRuddle

= Demetrius Judson Purcell

-- Nephele

Caledonian

I currently use the name Caledon McHinery. This used to be a name i put everywhere i didnt want to use my actual name. I grew so fond of the name i use it everywhere for self insert characters now.

Caledon, from Caledonia, the fancy name for Scotland.
McHinery is a pun. McHinery- MacHinery - machinery.
Passion is like a Peatfire

Nephele

Quote from: Caledonian on January 27, 2018, 08:55:54 PM
I currently use the name Caledon McHinery. This used to be a name i put everywhere i didnt want to use my actual name. I grew so fond of the name i use it everywhere for self insert characters now.

Caledonian, I like that name you chose for yourself!  But, as you know, one can never have too many steampunk names. :)  Have a few anagrams of your persona name:

Chalcedony Miner
Madoline Crenchy
Dr. Halcyone Mince
Clarimond Cheney
Cleondra Chimney
Aderyne McNichol
Adm. Cyrene Nichol
Adm. Cicely Honner
Adm. Clio Chennery
Celine Charmondy
Madeline Chorncy
Celyna Richmonde
Clorinda McHeyne

= Caledon McHinery

-- Nephele

Gingersnapsdacat

Well, I call myself Gingersnap because I actually have ginger hair. My family sometimes call me Ginger, so I thought it made some sense!
Also, my other persona is named Scrap, because she is literally made of Scrap metal.

Caledonian

Quote from: Nephele on January 28, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on January 27, 2018, 08:55:54 PM

Caledonian, I like that name you chose for yourself!  But, as you know, one can never have too many steampunk names. :)  Have a few anagrams of your persona name:

Chalcedony Miner
Madoline Crenchy
Dr. Halcyone Mince
Clarimond Cheney
Cleondra Chimney
Aderyne McNichol
Adm. Cyrene Nichol
Adm. Cicely Honner
Adm. Clio Chennery
Celine Charmondy
Madeline Chorncy
Celyna Richmonde
Clorinda McHeyne

= Caledon McHinery

-- Nephele

hehe, thanks! now my alter ego can have alter ego's :P

Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum

My name comes from my other vocations/avocations,
I'm a dentist, Magician, Circus Clown, so my name is Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum translated from Latin as  Dr. Happy Tooth Clown.
Bruce

Bad Luck Belle

Besides Belle being my all-time favorite Disney princess, it is also a nickname that I was almost landed with. When searching for a catchy steampunk name, nothing quite felt right. Then I remembered that my parents had very nearly named me Belinda (yuck), and bam! Belinda "Bad Luck" Belle Sparks, mechanic and able sailor aboard the Asylum, was born.
"It simply isn't an adventure worth telling if there aren't any dragons." -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Caledonian

Quote from: Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum on March 28, 2019, 02:11:09 PM
My name comes from my other vocations/avocations,
I'm a dentist, Magician, Circus Clown, so my name is Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum translated from Latin as  Dr. Happy Tooth Clown.
Bruce

The name is very nice in latin
The concept of a tooth clown is kind of unsettling to me though

Deimos

My avatar and name (Deimos) are what I use on half dozen other forums (fora?).
Because most of those forums are male dominated and there existed the potential to be quite hostile toward women attempting to participate, I initially chose both a hand drawn avatar (not my art tho'... recognize it?) and an ambiguous name, until such time as I became established (and accepted) on the forum.
Worked out pretty well. A lot of shocked forum-ites (as I like to call them) when they found out I wasn't a "bloke" as one youngster said, and some pretty funny responses (no hostile ones), and no problem being accepted.

My Steampunk name (under the avatar) was "picked" by a random steampunk name generator, using numbers associated with one's sex, birth date and age.
I like the name that was generated for me, and will happily reply to either address, or no address at all.    
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Caledonian on January 07, 2020, 12:32:31 AM
SNIP
The concept of a tooth clown is kind of unsettling to me though

"Timmy, Dr. Pennywise will see you now"

Deimos

Clowns are evil... *shudder*

Synistor 303

Quote from: Deimos on January 07, 2020, 09:21:46 AM
Clowns are evil... *shudder*

Yep, and ditto the name and Avatar thing - chosen to be non-sex-defining.

the Hat

Quite simply, I love hats. I always have.

In fact, one of my friends went so far as to plagiarize a quote from the 1989 Batman film: "Where DOES he get such wonderful hats?!"

I am rarely without one.  ;D

Sincerely,

The Hat
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Cora Courcelle

Hats are good, and we have it on good authority that fezzes are cool  :D
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Nephele

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on March 03, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
Hats are good, and we have it on good authority that fezzes are cool  :D

LOL!  My favorite Doctor wears a scarf.   ;D

Tom Snout

Tom Snout was the Tinker in Midsummer nights dream....Im a Tinker too so it felt right ;)

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Deimos on January 07, 2020, 12:55:56 AM
Because most of those forums are male dominated and there existed the potential to be quite hostile toward women attempting to participate, I initially chose both a hand drawn avatar (not my art tho'... recognize it?) and an ambiguous name, until such time as I became established (and accepted) on the forum.
Worked out pretty well. A lot of shocked forum-ites (as I like to call them) when they found out I wasn't a "bloke" as one youngster said, and some pretty funny responses (no hostile ones), and no problem being accepted.

My Steampunk name (under the avatar) was "picked" by a random steampunk name generator, using numbers associated with one's sex, birth date and age.
I like the name that was generated for me, and will happily reply to either address, or no address at all.    

Deimos meaning terror/dread (A moon of Mars, the other moon is Phobos meaning panic/fear) & the art is from Disney's film Fantasia (Night on Bald Mountain)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Deimos

Quote from: Mercury Wells on December 06, 2020, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: Deimos on January 07, 2020, 12:55:56 AM

Deimos meaning terror/dread (A moon of Mars, the other moon is Phobos meaning panic/fear) & the art is from Disney's film Fantasia (Night on Bald Mountain)

Bingo on both counts...source of name and source of picture.   (I'm also an amateur astronomer).

Interestingly, the Disney demon and musical representation in Fantasia is taken from eastern Europe and/or Slavic folklore.
Its real name is Chernabog (sometimes spelled Chernobog).

In Fantasia the sequence is Night on Bald Mountain (music of the same name by Mussorgsky).
It's pretty much the devil, really, and the story both in the movie and "musically" in Mussorgsky's work is based on the stories of the Witches' Sabbath on the Bald Mountain on St. John's Eve.

But I've always liked the name Deimos and it does kind of fit the Disney drawing.  

FallenFantasy174

174's the number I've always had in usernames since it was randomly generated for me as a child. FallenFantasyArt is the username I use for all art related social media, it gets switched to FallenFantasy174 for places I only want to be semi connected to my art.

AnnaElizabeth

"Anna-Elizabeth" is my name, but for my persona/s, I've chosen to create a line of fighting, adventurous females from a family called "Makepeace".

When I was a child, the lovely Glynis Barber of Blake's 7 fame played Detective Sergeant Lady Harriet Alexandra Charlotte Makepeace on a series called Dempsey and Makepeace. I adored the program, and Ms. Barber was just amazing in it, so I've adopted that surname for my characters in various stories, role-playing games, and for my Steampunk and Dieselpunk personas.

Sorontar

You need a series with a fellow companion - Makepeace and Waugh!
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com