News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Persona names

Started by Vienna Fahrmann, October 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Newton Bridges

Quote from: Dr. Oliver Cross on September 06, 2008, 07:25:04 AM
The (not-so-)good doctor has been a character in various roleplaying games I've run through the years.  He's become such a signature villian of mine that the first time that a reference that might even remotely be construed as being related to Dr. Oliver David Cross, even be it simply the initials ODC being seen on a canehead in the umbrella stand at a dining parlour, my players are known to respond in a mannerconsistant with being informed that one's execution date has been set.  As he's always, no matter the setting of the game, been a mad scientist of some sort, I figured he would be the perfect representation of my will on this site.

thats probably the most fun answer i've heard yet
i am living in mine zyrian fantasty

Nikola Tesla

I've actually been "Nikola Tesla" in several places, but this is the first officially steampunk forum in which I have participated.  It was either him or Spinoza at the time I signed up, and this seemed more a Tesla sort of place...

...and how!  My one complaint about this name is that it can get a bit awkward when I wish to reply in threads that are specifically about my "namesake".  But that's all right.  Having no weird identity problems, I'll get over it.

I'll also point out, speaking of identities, it should be obvious but not everyone you meet on the aetherwebs using this name is going to be me.  Since some of the people out there using it seem less mad scientist and more just plain crazy, I feel a need to mention it.
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Philosophical Wanderer

I picked my name because I enjoy dwelling on the more Philosophical issue's in life, however do not take that to mean I am a bore, for I assure you that I am nothing of the sort! To sit around a fire, sipping brandy and talking of the boorish politics of the day is a pain for me to do. The Wanderer part of my title is the part of me that hunger's for knowledge and learning. I wander, day in and day out, seeking knowledge, and wisdom, for I, have not money, nor, fame, nor power. I rely on my dreams, and my knowledge, to continue to hold a firm grasp on this marvellous world.

PS, If you had not noticed, I am also a huge fan of Role-Playing, I like to stay in character whenever I can, so please just bear with me :)

atriusofdni

got a simple one for mine I'm a fan of myst and it was just something different than what i normally do a little history on the persona of Atrius its a misspelling of Aitrus which is Atrus's (the writer of the age myst releshan and tomanha)grandfather 
Atrius Erick Highstorm

Crafter of Worlds, Explorer of Ages

Valkyrie

My user name is Valkyrie because I am a big fan of Wagner.  Ride of the Valkyries is my favourite piece of music as well as the Holst classic "Mars".

Also, there is a fantastic film being made at the moment called "Valkyrie" staring Tom Cruise, which is all about Von Stauffenberg and the German Officers bomb plot.  My partner has supplied various bits and pieces for the film and a re-enactor friend of mine sometimes takes on the character of Von Stauffenberg for forties weekends at steam railways around the country.
The Golden Age of Steam

SteamBlast Mary

I love that piece of music, thinking about having it played in place of the Wedding March at our wedding  ;)

... Is it bad that I only know Von Stauffenberg's name because they mentioned him in an episode of Red Dwarf?
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

randomjedi_1138

Mine's fairly simple:

In a previous incarnation I was known primarily as Ashmedai (due the fact that I was a 'demon' at Unreal Tournament).

When I began costuming with a (primarily) Star Wars group in '05 I put together a Jedi costume (which I still wear btw) using the guidelines for a generic or 'random' Jedi Knight (plus, I am pretty random  ;) ). The 1138 comes from THX-1138, whcih any Lucas fanboy will give you the skinny on.

The name stuck and became my main online 'handle', so I use it all over the place and appropriateness be damned  ;D
"Why Ambassador, with these lime and orange tic-tacs you are really spoiling us!"
Baron Redmond Asmodeus Maycock - Ship's Ambassadoer, HMAS Discombobulus
Freelance Investigator of the Eldritch, Otherworldly and Unusual / *Purveyor of fine Teas*

Torvald_Faust

I have two nicknames: one I use here and one I use at the rest of the aethernet: Hellwolve.

I love explaining the latter, because it has a rather boring source: I simply made it up. One evening, long ago, I jotted down all 'cool' words and things I knew at the time, such as 'Nero' and 'Panther'. I also jotted down 'Hell'. 'Wolve' comes from my mistake in making the singular form of the plural 'Wolves' ;)

Now, "Torvald Faust" comes from my Steampunk character and my wish to have pretty much every name of my characters mean something. His/my last name comes from this Faust; I wanted me/the character to have a super-natural 'connection'.

To fit with the Germanic last name, I looked until I found a nice 'Germanic-ish' first name: Torvald. Which is from the Old Norse name Þórvaldr, which meant "Thor's ruler" from the name of the Norse god Þórr (Thor) combined with 'valdr', 'ruler'.

TRD Jay Theophilus

Also my real name, and honorific, if my signature is to be believed.
Yes, I really am a Reverend Doctor, and yes, that is my real name.

The Kernel

Quote from: SteamBlast_Mary on September 09, 2008, 11:42:01 AM
I love that piece of music, thinking about having it played in place of the Wedding March at our wedding  ;)

I did an "Off Road Recovery Course" with The Landrover Experience, and the instructor played "Ride of the Valkyries" very loudly as we drove up and down on slopes I'd think twice about walking up.
Very atmospheric :o

Hieronimous Stonebender

Hieronimous is an alternate spelling of a long gone family members name.

Stonebender is a reference to Jake Stonebender, the protagonist of the Callahan series by Spider Robinson. My favourite place to turn to, when the world gets me down...

LibelAndSlander

I have always been a fan of the crimes mentioned in my screen name. I think I probably came up with the name after watching "The People Vs. Larry Flynt."  It seemed rather appropriate when I wanted to be a lawyer (ages 13-16) but it still fits really well since I want to be journalist. I think it's pretty cool that even though I have changed a lot since I thought up the name at age 13 (~5 years ago), it still fits me. Also someone pointed out to me that "Libeland Slander" would be a good pseudonym.
Captain C.B. Quinn, of the Airship Eudora.
PRIVATEER IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECREE BY HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR NORTON I.

Gazongola

In my younger days, I went by the name Greenphoenix, thanks to eBay (don't ask), but when I got to H2G2 which  is the bbc.co.uk answer to the guide, someone had already stolen it from me (possibly) and used it. So in true Adams style I came up with the rudest sounding name I could think of without actually swearing. (Like Slartibartfast as all true fans will know). Hence Gazongola was born.

The Kernel

Quote from: Gazongola on September 10, 2008, 02:07:02 AM
So in true Adams style I came up with the rudest sounding name I could think of without actually swearing. (Like Slartibartfast as all true fans will know). Hence Gazongola was born.

But what of Magicthise and Vroomfondel?
(I think I spelled that correctly)

plum phlogiston

I'm Plum because that's what Mr P calls me whenever I do or say something a bit daft, thus it gets used more frequently than my real name. Phlogiston partly because I find it fascinating, partly because it's a very satisfying word and partly because I am a blacksmith with an...um...enthusiastic digestive system, both of which result in periodic sulphurous emissions.

T.Taylor the Third

its my name Thomas w. Taylor the third
-"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge."

Marrock

Miimno

Quote from: Marrock on September 10, 2008, 03:16:45 PM
The third what?
Thomas W. Taylor III, if I am not mistaken? (the third Thomas W. Taylor?)...
"On the way...difficulties and horrors, and extraordinary and wonderful things..." كتاب ألف ليلة وليلة
Order of the Brazen Dawn, charter member
Fate or Free Will survived the first 7 pages!

Marrock

Pfui... facetiousness is wasted on some folks.

Miimno

Quote from: Marrock on September 10, 2008, 03:45:53 PM
Pfui... facetiousness is wasted on some folks.
Oops.  I...nevermind.
"On the way...difficulties and horrors, and extraordinary and wonderful things..." كتاب ألف ليلة وليلة
Order of the Brazen Dawn, charter member
Fate or Free Will survived the first 7 pages!

Zwack

His father is Thomas W Taylor the Fourth... It's something to do with an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine...  :)

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.

The Kernel

Marrock

The Kernel

Can't remember that one - I didn't want to make a direct Zaphod Beeblebrox reference as there is a forum member by that name and it might have caused confusion/offence :-[

Clockwork_Dragon

What I came to call the costume project I did for Comic Con 2008, my "weredragon" character for our crew. 
I guess cos she's got the "clockwork" arm, and I thought it sounded fun. :)
I'll probably make her more clockwork too when I get to another chance to work on another mask and arm again.