News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Persona names

Started by Vienna Fahrmann, October 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFGNCAAP

My username comes from my...other...fandom, the Zork series of games (mostly text), which can get very anachronistic, having things like time machines, instant diamond makers, and batteries in a fantasy setting. It is the name used for the player character in the last graphic game, Zork Grand Inquisitor, which is gaslamp fantasy if I've ever seen it, despite being only questionably canon. It's an abbreviation for Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person, and in the anonymous realm of the internet, it's a fun username to snag if someone hasn't already claimed it.
"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne

Mad Maxine

I used to have a black Toyota Celica GT-S that was painted with yellow safety stripes and had a big yellow nuclear symbol on the hood. At the time, I was probably the only girl in all of western Kansas with a mohawk. I used to carry a baseball bat, a crowbar, and a straight razor in the car in case I got jumped by cowboys.

I think some friends of mine and I were talking about Mad Max, and how I reminded them of that character. Somehow, the name Mad Maxine came up, and it has stuck.
Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.

Flynn MacCallister

*Laughs* And here was I assuming that it was just the obvious thing to add onto the name Maxine. That's brilliant!

Quote from: Sinjun on October 18, 2007, 06:00:58 PM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on October 18, 2007, 11:05:07 AM
...warping Fionn MacCumhaill until I got something I liked the sound of, and which happened to be a real name. I'm Australian-of-Irish-descent (and look it), so I have a bit of a soft spot for Irish mythology.

Fionn MacCumhaill is my favorite hero from any mythology. Irish mythology had the best characters.
^__^ It does a bit, doesn't it?

Tinker

More folks know me as 'Tinker' than know me by my real name, especially in the Kingdom of Northshield.  I generally go by 'Andrew Þe Tinker' at faires and such but everytime something breaks they're hollering "Hey Tinker!" across the field.  I carry a pretty complete tool chest, made up like a cross between a backpack and a bench, such that I can do anything from patch a leaky cauldron to reset the rivets in someone's broken armour.  I usually make the faire pay for itself pretty well that way.

I usually use my real first name and last initial when joining forums of this sort, but then I would have been 'Andy W.' and that was not only already taken but the handle of one of the founders (at the time:  he's since become 'dohickey')  Of course, I had to judge that I'm not likely to get myself confused with Tinkergirl either, but so far that hasn't happened.  I DID suggest to my wife when she joined that she not choose the name that first came to her mind, which was 'Tinker's girl'.

Andrew the Tinker

Gentlemens Handbook

QuoteWell Drake White was/is the name of my Rogue Trader from Inquisitor/40k that I played way back when, that character was vaguely based on myself so when thinking of my Airship-captain-trader-pirate-tinkerer persona the name seemed to fit. As to where I came up with my RT's name, feck knows that was many many moons ago.

Ah.... 40k........ How I miss it so.

*lightbulb over head*

Note to self, pull old miniatures out of attic and give em a steampunk overhaul. Who wouldn't love a large scale table top Steampunk Strategy game!?!
www.myspace.com/xmaddmattx

"It will work..... trust me"

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Gentlemens Handbook on October 19, 2007, 06:57:32 AM
QuoteWell Drake White was/is the name of my Rogue Trader from Inquisitor/40k that I played way back when, that character was vaguely based on myself so when thinking of my Airship-captain-trader-pirate-tinkerer persona the name seemed to fit. As to where I came up with my RT's name, feck knows that was many many moons ago.

Ah.... 40k........ How I miss it so.

*lightbulb over head*

Note to self, pull old miniatures out of attic and give em a steampunk overhaul. Who wouldn't love a large scale table top Steampunk Strategy game!?!

You mean something a little like Warmachine?

Gentlemens Handbook

that is rather cool. But nothing I've seen has ever come close to the scale of the epic battles in 40k. I have an ork horde (in 12 boxes in the attic) numbering at  320 separate pieces.

We had a 10ft by 5ft table in the basement. One game would stretch across several weekends. It was like the ultimate game of risk.
www.myspace.com/xmaddmattx

"It will work..... trust me"

Flynn MacCallister

Yeah, I know. I used to play 40K (Dark Eldar)... Warmachine doesn't measure up too badly.

JoshuaMarsh

Joshua Marsh is the name of the principle character of the books I wrote last year, the first of which is now 'gnomon'.
Regards,

Joshua Marsh

CinnamonAndSpite

I had a variety of other online 'handles' that I grew tired of, partly because the people who had dubbed me where long gone, along with the meaning of them. This particular handle came from a quote from a younger friend of mine, who claimed in an Out of Character Chat that I tasted of "Cinnamon and Spite". I was so amused I took it as my fresh moniker.

Dr Veleck Madlove

Well now Veleck is a name I have used for several long years.  A female friend and I choose different matching names when we were young.  Valeka and Valek.  As time went on we of course dropped the use of the names but when I started playing EQ and D&D pen and paper I choose Valek and slowly refined it into Veleck.  Now Veleck is the most common used name that I go around with.  Most any game you play if you encounter a Veleck that is more than likely me.  I have found the name stolen only once in the many MMOs and such I have played.  Most disapointing.

Madlove came from the fact it sounded Victorian and like a crazy experimenting name give to a love sick doctor pining over a lost love.  Doctor falls in line with the Madlove portion.

fmra

fmra is syllabic version of the word ephemera - something that lasts only a brief time.  It's my name across the internet, and has turned out to be fairly inaccurate as I hang around places forever. ;)
Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese

Angus D. Murphy

Murphy had been at the back of a drawer for some time, under lots of things sorted under "S" for "stuff".

Murphy because of the Laws bearing that name, which seems to rule my life...
Angus is McGyver's first name, and the propmaster job in High school made that I was nicknamed Mcgyver and couldn't go anywhere without someone whistling the theme tune.
And D is for Desmond, the late Desmond Llewelyn, also known as Q in the James Bond movies.
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
-Sir Terry Pratchett

CapnHarlock

I have been known by a very different online handle since the early 90's.  After a rather-rancorous breakup, I decided that my somewhat stalkerish ex didn't need my added assistance, so I needed to choose another. When signing up for a chatting-service, I looked up, seeking inspiration, and one of my favorite anime films was playing, and the Cap'n was born. I later took part in a "Crimson Skies" RPG as a dieselpunk air pirate, and the "Jeremiah Cornelius" was added as an homage to Mr. M. Moorcock's character, and that biography became the basis for (an as-yet-incomplete) Steampunk LARP character. Then, I found this marvelous spot, and here I am :)
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

LibelAndSlander

It's been my screen name for ohh... 4 years or so now. Ever since I grew out of throwing a bunch of random japanese words together.

Libel & Slander are my favorite crimes to commit... heh heh heh.
Captain C.B. Quinn, of the Airship Eudora.
PRIVATEER IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECREE BY HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR NORTON I.

Otto Maton

Auto-Maton ... Otto-Maton ... get it?

I later found out, though, that there are several real Otto Matons!
The Gaslamp Orchestra - Steampunk Music Project
http://www.myspace.com/gaslamporchestra

"I'm a Steampunk, darn it! Not a Victorian!

"To put it simply, my friend, simplicity simply isn't steampunk!"

Prof. Brockworth

I have a badger thing, so the "Brock" is easy; Brockworth is a spin on Hackworth, because I'd just finished re-reading The Diamond Age and it's a name with a nice texture on the mouth.  A worthy hack, Hackworth.

The 'professor', well, everyone has such groovy titles I needed something... but I assure you it's more in the vein of old blue-skinned tattooists and snake-oil salesmen than any academic. 
Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

Rosel

Sinjun is a handle I've used since the early days of the internet. When I was quite young, I saw "A View to a Kill" where James Bond uses the alias James St. John Smythe. When he says the "St. John" part, it all kinds of slurs together and to my youthful American ears it sounded like Sinjun - I liked the sound of it, so I later picked it up as a character name and then an online handle.
Your ears did not deceive you, there are a handful of English names that are prnounced wildly differently to how they are spelt.
eg
Beauchamps - Beecham
Chomondley -Chumley
there are plenty more

www.armchairzoologist.blogspot.com

www.briarrosestitches.blogspot.com

http://community.livejournal.com/steampunklolita/profile

Prof. Brockworth

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

Flynn MacCallister

Featherstonehaughs = "fan-shore", right?

Worcestershire!

Herr Döktor

I always like Mapledurham- pronounced 'Mum', and Belvoir- pronounced 'Beaver', and I have been told that Fortescue should be pronounced 'Forbes', but I'm not convinced!

In a previous life I worked in a printers, and a gent came in to pick up some 'At Home' cards, under the name 'Leahay-Biane'; I couldn't find them, he got shirty and said that perhaps if he wrote the name down, and proceeded to write it as 'Leaky-Bean'. Miraculously, I kept a straight face.

As to the moniker I use here, it's a slightly sinister Germanification of one of my most used web pseudonyms, as I'm quite an admirer of the famous time traveler of the same name.

And the umlaut means nothing, it just sets it off nicely!

Vienna Fahrmann

Oh, Dear, that reminds me vof "Keeping Up Appearances", where the last name "Bucket" was pronounced "Bou-Kay".

Vienna

Yuri

Yuri Goner is a flight sim gaming name I have used for years (after I ran into another Max Damage character, letting me out of that one).  My family is Russian, having come over from Odessa Ukraine in '97.  The analog that I use as my photo on this forum is the real Yuri - my great-Grandfather's brother.
Where you start doesn't determine how far you will go - the people who believe they can, and the people who believe they cannot, are both right.

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Yuri on October 20, 2007, 04:09:40 AM
Yuri Goner is a flight sim gaming name I have used for years (after I ran into another Max Damage character, letting me out of that one).  My family is Russian, having come over from Odessa Ukraine in '97.  The analog that I use as my photo on this forum is the real Yuri - my great-Grandfather's brother.

You wouldn't happen to be proficient in Russian, by any chance?
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Johannes Ghee

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on October 18, 2007, 06:21:01 PM
I had been wanting a website of my own for several years, but could never come up with a decent name for it.  I have a habit of making rather poor choices when it comes to things like this, usually involving whatever silly fictional character I'm into at the time (take my email address, for instance :-[).  While I invariably find this pseudonym cool and clever at the time, it always manages to turn embarrassingly dorky fast.

Hah yes, I can sympathize... At one point I thought it would be cool to have an internet alias that sounded sarcastic and phonetically - related to my real name. This lead to the name for a fictional company I was going to pretend to own: "Oh, Gee!" . All thats left of that smart idea is a very awkward e-mail address.

When that didn't work I decided to use a reference to a quote from Jorge Luis Borges : "Three-Dimensioned Preacher", or, depending where you look, "3D Preacher".

And now? The Johannes is because I like the music of J. S. Bach, and the Ghee is phonetically close to my last initial and as an added bonus, hard to pronounce. Its also a type of Indian butter, as I later discovered.

As per Irish Legends, my real first name is Oisin (with the fada on the last 'i' that I cant find on this keyboard)...

And.

A link to some Celtic tales sessions as filmed here in Gallaimh.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=storytelling+celtic+tales

Enjoy.

J. Ghee.
"Don't forget to use a reasonable amount of caution should your hobby be one that is dangerous. Your wife doesnt want you to be 'funky' but she has a right to expect you not to take undue risk in your auto car, bicycle or flying machine."
'Dont's' For Husbands 1913.
"Menace him, you idiot!"