News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Persona names

Started by Vienna Fahrmann, October 18, 2007, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosel

I tend to use this name on Forums, I suppose it could be a contraction of my steampunk character's name Rosalind Muldoon, but really its from a typo I somehow managed to make while typing the name Rose. I though it sounded nice so i adopted it for various online uses. It is a real name though I found a gravestone in Berlin for a Rosel

www.armchairzoologist.blogspot.com

www.briarrosestitches.blogspot.com

http://community.livejournal.com/steampunklolita/profile

Mister Greyshade

Ah yes well... Ah hmm... I'll try to make this brief. (hint, it isn't) My subcultural roots are the mod scene of the 1980s and for the record, I was a damn good mod. At my peak I had 7 tailored suits, at least 25 jackets, 50 ties etc. I also had/still have a lot of vinyl. Anyway when my Vespa P200E was destroyed by a rear ending in 1985. I bought what was to be my my main scooter for most of my mod life. A dark metallic grey, Malossi kited Rally 200 which I named the Grey Shadow.

Fast forward to the dawn of the world wide web in the 1990s. What screen name should one have? By then I had owned the Grey Shadow for over a decade my scooter and I were a close as any horse and rider. We were one. I chose my screen name based on that. I was always etheir Greyshadow or Grey Shadow.

Fast forward again. I have small children now and I can't go out at night, or at least hardly ever. Quite a shock even for a mod, even and aging one. I rediscovered renaissance festivals, those great daytime parties you can bring your kids to. I needed a faire name for when I was in costume and persona. Greyshade sounded 16th century and English and it was a good play on my screen name. One out of four men in 16th century England was named John, so I became John Greyshade. This is still my faire and Adrian Empire name. As I branched out in reenactment I conceived the Greyshades as an ancient family line going back in time through Alric of Yorvik (called the Grey amongst the Northmen) in the 11th century and further back to a legend of fairie creature known only as the grey man of the shaded wood. When I did pirate faires I became Zachariah (Mad Zach) Greyshade. I'm now youth services librarian/children's performer and all my characters share the last name of Greyshade. "Greyshade" and then "Mister Greyshade" was a no brainer as a forum name. Now I think I shall give my steampunk persona a little more depth. Next stop the engine room, for a further name revision.

Yuri

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on October 20, 2007, 08:08:18 AM
Quote from: Yuri on October 20, 2007, 04:09:40 AM
Yuri Goner is a flight sim gaming name I have used for years (after I ran into another Max Damage character, letting me out of that one).  My family is Russian, having come over from Odessa Ukraine in '97.  The analog that I use as my photo on this forum is the real Yuri - my great-Grandfather's brother.

You wouldn't happen to be proficient in Russian, by any chance?

Not me - the only time in my adult life that I had to use it was during missions.  It was common to request Soviet Hind helicopters to please not shoot us down.  "Nyet strellyeny, spasiba" or thereabouts, and to ask their intentions if our ship was on a collision course with one of theirs.  We flew off the coast of Petro and Vlad, almost always in the company of those Army helicopters or the funsters of the Far East, the Red Banner Pacific Fleet's numberous assigned heloes and patrol aircraft.  Without anyone to speak Russian to, my skills have degraded to practically nothing at this late date.

v/r Yuri
Where you start doesn't determine how far you will go - the people who believe they can, and the people who believe they cannot, are both right.

Klynt Mahryd

Klynt Mahryd is my standard "scifi-fantasy" name that I use for games and stuff. It's a variation on my name. My name is Clinton and Mahryd is my last name with it's letters mixed around and some different letters here and there. I couldn't think of a proper steampunk name that used some part of my name(my screennames always do). So I just settled for this. It does sound kinda exotic, like some sky pirate from an unspecified foreign country.

benthic

benthic
adjective; of or relating to or happening on the bottom under a body of water
Out of respect to my deep fascination with the creatures of the deep ocean, including Lovecraft and other mythos.

hereaftermouse

Quote from: benthic on October 21, 2007, 03:55:17 AM
benthic
Out of respect to my deep fascination with the creatures of the deep ocean, including Lovecraft and other mythos.

oh dear, you have just brought back some terrible memories of my last environmental science test.  From now on I will think of Lovecraftian things when we talk about benthos, and it will vastly improve the class ;)

I got Mouse in 7th grade, I can't really remember why, but it stuck. "hereafter" comes from me being morbid, but also because it sounds nice and has a decidedly otherworldly definition. Thus I am Mouse from the hereafter: hereaftermouse.

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: hereaftermouse on October 21, 2007, 04:05:15 AM
benthic

oh dear, you have just brought back some terrible memories of my last environmental science test.  From now on I will think of Lovecraftian things when we talk about benthos, and it will vastly improve the class ;)

I got Mouse in 7th grade, I can't really remember why, but it stuck. "hereafter" comes from me being morbid, but also because it sounds nice and has a decidedly otherworldly definition. Thus I am Mouse from the hereafter: hereaftermouse.

I really should shut up about what I thought it meant. Trust me, you don't want to know.

And Yuri, that's too bad. The more languages one knows, the more people one can talk to.
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

hereaftermouse

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on October 21, 2007, 08:23:55 AM
benthic

I really should shut up about what I thought it meant. Trust me, you don't want to know.

And Yuri, that's too bad. The more languages one knows, the more people one can talk to.

alright, now I'm curious

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: hereaftermouse on October 21, 2007, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on October 21, 2007, 08:23:55 AM
benthic

alright, now I'm curious

No, please! And not in public! *-_-*
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

phineas sheridan

i got it from the name generator, but i like the name phineas since before that.
sheridan is a nice name as well

d
"It's all about the top-hats and goggles"~Jake Von Slatt

Von Gast

Mine is a name I developed for a novel that never really worked (the synopsis had a ship from our world ending up in an alternate universe. Steampunk, of course!). John von Gast was to be the son of a highly skilled Dover ferry captain who was lost at sea after a mechanical failure (similar to the loss of the Estonia).

I kept the background but reworked the character as George Evans, a shadowy Nemoesque figure with a dark past who prowls the oceans with five colleagues aboard a ship that is almost sentient. He's got some steampunk leanings, although the script he's being written into has more in common with Spooks than The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

In the real world I'm known as Matt, and the closest I get to being a waterbourne avenger is travelling on cross-channel ferries whenever possible!

Suzanne

Mine is simply my first name. Because I have nothing to hide and I'm myself and not an obscure alias.  :)

Mercury Wells

Mine is a sort of punne I suppose(?). What with Hg being the symbol for Mercury, plus I like Wells's work.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: Mercury Wells on October 22, 2007, 01:29:43 AM
Mine is a sort of punne I suppose(?). What with Hg being the symbol for Mercury, plus I like Wells's work.
;D  That dawned on me a few weeks ago, and I've just about been grinning at the cleverness ever since ;D
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on October 22, 2007, 04:16:47 AM
;D  That dawned on me a few weeks ago, and I've just about been grinning at the cleverness ever since ;D

Why thank you.   ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Enli

Enlievah has been a nickname of mine for quite a long time. Enli for short.. it's easier to say. :)
Quote from: Mister Greyshade on November 28, 2007, 06:13:24 AM
STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH

Flynn MacCallister

I thought it must be! Hah! Excellent work, sir.

(I'm amused by such terribly geeky things... I was serving a woman at work the other day, and had to take some details off her driver's licence for something.. I tried very, very hard not to, but I could not help but grin at her date of birth: 16th of April, 1964.)

Mr. Oliver

Mine is simple. My mothers Maiden name was Oliver, and my grandfather (a master mechanic, Victorian reenactor, avid tinkerer and steam engine enthusiast) got me really interested in steam power, and Victorian ideology.

Other than that, I just think the "Mr." Title adds a nice bit of class -_Q.

KatarinaNavane

Katarina (Ariadne) Navane is the all-purpose pseudonym I've been using since middle school (I'm now a college freshman.)  Katarina is sort of after a character in a story that I wrote in 6th grade of which all copies have now been lost (which is probably for the better, it sucked) named Katrina, and sort of from Taming of the Shrew (Katherine) but I don't like the name Katherine and decided I liked Katarina better than Katrina.

Ariadne is from mythological sources--she is the Princess of Crete who helps Thesius through the labarinth to find the mineotaur. He later ditches her on some random island where she hooks up with Dionysus.  Gotta <3 Dionysus. 

I thought that I made up the name Navane under the following circumstances:  My uncle and I were playing scrabble and I had no words, so I eventually convinced him that nonsense words would be allowed as long as you could come up with a plausible definition for them.  Afterward I liked some of the words I made, so I wrote them down for future use. Navane was the best, thought I don't remember the meaning I made up for it.  However, it turns out that Navane is a real word; It's a medication for schitzophrenia, making it an ironically fitting name for my alter-ego, don't you think? 

phineas sheridan

Quote from: KatarinaNavane on October 22, 2007, 11:06:38 PM
However, it turns out that Navane is a real word; It's a medication for schitzophrenia, making it an ironically fitting name for my alter-ego, don't you think? 

that's got to be near the top of the cool list for the meaning of people's names.

d
"It's all about the top-hats and goggles"~Jake Von Slatt

Lady Almira

Um. Well.
Name generator. I'm so not-creative  ;D
http://hmschronabelle.deviantart.com/
Time Travel: The answer to all of life's little dilemmas.
Minister of Foreign Affairs (Lethal and Non-Lethal) of fair Victoriana.

Offlogic

Quote from: Lady Almira on October 23, 2007, 02:38:05 AM
Um. Well.
Name generator. I'm so not-creative  ;D

As stated before: I'm only into this for the chics... (So call me a hopeless 'rogue')

"Offlogic" also refers to a sub-set of circuits designed to apply a path to ground (earth, for the off-landers) when active, and yet also a metaphysical statement of being "off logic", as in "escewing the common fodder of nay-sayers".

But, otherwise, I'm just here for the dreamy chics...  call me insane, but...

(Just noticed I was a "Zepplin Captain".. or was that 'Chaplin'?
"Huzzah!" either way!)
HST: Gonzo but not forgotten

NazT

Mine is from gaming... We used to have quite a lot of people playing Quake2 at lunch times at work and I needed a name. 

Mostly people abbreviate it to Naz now but I still get the eejit ones who think its nazi and not nasty.... :(

Alexi Sivana

Alexi Luthor, opponent of Kal-L
Thaddeus Sivana, opponent of Billy Batson
All of whom have been retconned out of their Golden Age existences
(tho it appears Kal-L has recently made a recovery...)
(Whoops!  No, he's dead again.)
My icon is of Detective Chimp

Faustus Bailey

I believe that I came up with the "Bailey" from a name generator online at some point in the last, say, 3 years that gave me the name "Fausto Bailey". I'm not sure why, but at some point I decided that I liked Faustus in there also, probably because they're similar and the benefit of having Goethe and Marlowe write about a certain Doctor Faust/Faustus.

I have yet to be contacted by any supernatural powers, however. heh heh...