News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

How to un-Nerf a Nerf.

Started by bicyclebuilder, September 02, 2014, 05:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroID

Quote from: selectedgrub on September 04, 2014, 05:44:30 AM
Similar to zero. Ice block sticks.

A small expansion steam engine ? Love all the copper and brass aged.

bicyclebuilder

Looking at the internals of the Furyfire Nerf, I see there is little room right behind the NERF decal. About left and right from the Reverse plunger.

But it's not enough to house the lightning ballpoint LED. Also, the reverse plunger prevents to lighten up both sides with one LED.

I like the slim shape of the pump handle, so I guess I won't make a knuckle guard for it. What comes to mind is a scope-like transparent tube with the lightning ballpoint LED inside. A plunger with the LED attached would go simultaneous with the pump handle.

For the "story" the gun should tell, I guess I'll go for an Edison machine rather than Tesla. Thomas was more likely to make a military machine than Nicolai. A plaque or guidebooklet that says:"tested on elephants" and "patented"
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

bicyclebuilder

I've got a few pictures to show you.

this is the LED set I've got. With a few hotglue drops attached. Bitween the two LED's you see a little cylinder. Inside that cylinder there is a spring. When I shake the whole thing, the spring connects with the inside of the cylinder. This makes the electrical circuit closed and controls the LED's.

this is the LED set lit up. There is a lot of light coming from the LED. When inclosed into a small place, somewhere inside the Nerf, it would definatly light up this room. The lit up hotglue drops create the illusion of what looks like a lightning bolt. It's not exactly what an electric arc looks like, but it's good enough for show.

I've found a few places I could house the LED set. I've hatched the area that could go through and through. Meaning, those area's could house the LED. Or, as I've said before, the LED in a scope-like plunger aperatus on top of the gun.

GCCC

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on September 28, 2014, 07:27:14 PM
Quote from: MechanicalMouse on September 28, 2014, 05:29:58 PM
Quote from: GCCC on September 03, 2014, 03:39:08 PM
@George Salt:

I completely agree about that! Plus, a pistol that requires both hands to operate? That's why I got excited when I saw this:

There was a RPG game called SLA Industries (great game), in that there was a gun called FEN 091 FARJACKET. It was a pump action pistol firing 17mm rifle (cannon) rounds.

I think I've found a picture of it:

It's true though, a pump action handgun are rare. A quick google got me one. And that one looks like a sawed off shotgun. A handgun should be able to be operated with just one hand. Although, in the real world. But this is the Steampunk-realm. The alternative world we all imagine. Anything goes in our imagionation. The biggest issue is to make the gun "work". A backup story or a reason to hand pump this gun. The pump action being an alternator for the tesla-coil to wind up. The bullets are fired by an electrical charge. Making the lightning ballpoint LED more part of the story. The gun doesn't work without actuating the pump action (a.k.a. alternator), the electrical charge is stored (a.k.a. lightning ballpoint LED) until the trigger is pulled.

Something like that.
Quote from: MechanicalMouse on September 28, 2014, 05:29:58 PM
Quote from: GCCC on September 03, 2014, 03:39:08 PM
@George Salt:

I completely agree about that! Plus, a pistol that requires both hands to operate? That's why I got excited when I saw this:

There was a RPG game called SLA Industries (great game), in that there was a gun called FEN 091 FARJACKET. It was a pump action pistol firing 17mm rifle (cannon) rounds.

Agreed; if the pump action is there to perform a function other than cocking (priming the aetheric elements, seating a more powerful round, etc.) then it is acceptable. And in our various Steam worlds of the imagination, we are not limited in what they might be useful or preferred for. (And yes, I know I ended that sentence in a preposition...)

For me personally, however, I would need to carefully weigh the value of the additional firepower vs. the convenience of leaving one hand free (to hold the reins, operate the controls, wield an additional weapon, free/protect a victim, etc.). As with the bulk of all our speculative technology, it would of course come down to what serves the needs of the story.

bicyclebuilder

Sorry for the necromancy.
A little update on the Nerf.
I've found a toy telescope I'm going to use as a scope.
I've got two little toy lightsables I have mounted on either side of the Nerf.
I'm using leather to strap all components together.
The Nerf cylinder is going to be covered with popcycle sticks, mimicing a wine barrel.
The stock is going to be wrapped with leather and the mayority of the Nerf is going to be painted chrome.
After the chrome, I'm going to age it with black paint.

bicyclebuilder

Small update. The scope is mounted (probably going to be glued on final assembly).
I have glued some rivits on the Nerf.

bicyclebuilder

All painted and almost finished.

I have to add leather to the stock and cover everything with a coat of clear paint.
I hope the clear coat will protect the paint. Right now it's delicate.

Synistor 303

It's starting to look very interesting...

Anselmofanzero

Did you pick the Maverick because its THE mod victim for steampunkers? Because it seems 90% of the guys go
for that ugly piece of.....plastic :)

Rockula

Quote from: Anselmofanzero on January 15, 2018, 09:31:04 AM
Did you pick the Maverick because its THE mod victim for steampunkers? Because it seems 90% of the guys go
for that ugly piece of.....plastic :)

I don't know about the original poster but I, and my friends, modify Nerfs so as they remain functional.
This is because, in the UK at least, we have Steampunk 'shoot-outs' at Steampunk meetings, convivials and festivals.
Many also make Steampunk styled weapons from pieces of wood and cast off metal but they are for show not function.
You can find many examples within these Forums.
Obviously those made from 'scratch' are more individual and require greater work...but they don't shoot.
I hope that answers your question.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Anselmofanzero

Check out my rifle somewhere down there in tactile. My second name is functional.
But I was more interested in knowing WHY that maverick thing? Why not a hammershot or a rebelle blaster?

RJBowman

So far, so good. The cylinder has the look of a revolver which fits into steampunk, but that rectangular grip is just way too modern looking.

bicyclebuilder

Thank you for the replies.
As for my weapon of choice, it was avaliable and affordable at that time.
I know it originally looks like what most of us use, but that was the challenge of this build. To un-nerf a nerf.

It is still functional, but not as it should. Somehow the added popcycle sticks seems to throw off the balance of the mechanism.
The turning of the magazine has to much weight as it seems.

I think this build went good. I like the way the paint came out (minus the durability, I'm working on that)
I like the grotesk size of the scope. I know it's way to big to be functional as a scope, but that's imho what Steampunk is about.
The pump action is not Victorian era, but I think Steampunk is looking into the future from the perspective of a Victorian era person.
A Victorian person with a vivid imagination might think of a pump action weapon. At least, that is my defence. :D

But now a question I might need some help with: What to do with the hoster? The scope is in the way for a regular hip holster. A shoulder sling might work perhaps. Any ideas?

Synistor 303

I get my Nerf (and non-nerf) guns from the Op Shop, so I get what they have - no choice. I would like to make one with electronics in it for some light effects, but have zero experience in doing that. My first un-nerfed Nerf turned out OK, but there are lots of little things that I would be more careful with next time. It was a LOT of fun though! I do try to make mine with a Victorian vibe, though. Lots of brass and I painted the black bit with a pattern as per the gold on the black of the old Singer sewing machines. I didn't really plan it out - it just kind of evolved as I went along, which I enjoyed, because I could figure out what worked and what didn't. The main thing I learned was to file off the logos and safety blurb if it is part of the cast plastic. I know it is plastic, which is considered evil by some, but it doesn't look like plastic when I finished.

Anselmofanzero

Not steampunky, but...its not nerfy anymore:

Banfili

No, not Nerf anymore - more like Terminator!

Anselmofanzero

Its actually from a game.

Bit less rust, I was kinda practicing adding real rust on this one. Would work for steampunk as well though.
Brass pipes and parts. Makes it look alot less plastic already.

bicyclebuilder

Nice paintjob Anselmofanzero! I have found that painting is the hardest part of an un-nerf.
Making plastic look metal of any kind is difficult. One must not only mimic the colour, but also the reflection and texture.
You have done a great job!

As for my hoster: I think a simple waist belt with a single loop as big as the magazine and scope together, might just work.
It would stick right on the little scope and the stock. I'll show later what I'm talking about.

Anselmofanzero

I am actually a lab tech for polymers and paints, and had to spraypaint alot of stuff, from my own cell phone shells to car parts,
so painting is easy for me. The weathering mod was my first one though. Needed to try because it looked all weird when it was clean
and neat right after paint. Adam Savage modded a Nerf, made a video about it. That was my motivation to start Nerf modding. End of last year.
So I am still a newbe...kinda. I will def steampunk something though. I usually sell what I make, cant really spend time on stuff that ends up
laying on a shelf. But who knows...one rainy weekend and I get it done :p

The video on youtube is def a must watch though! Uploaded by tested. Search for Adam Nerf Mod. He shows simple weathering methods....awesome stuff.

Steam Titan

Tempted to get a vagabond sometime. I bet painted right would look good.

bicyclebuilder

Quote from: Steam Titan on January 29, 2018, 06:46:05 PM

I love the grip!
If I got it correctly, the black part in the middle is the magazine with side-loading slots.
The holes in the front are probably all non-functional, exept the big hole on top.
The gray grip is the pump action and the orange grip is just a grip with no function.
The way I see it, one can alter the dark orange part, as long as it's connecting the orange barrel to the back of the weapon.

The magazine looks like organ pipes. If I would have to un-nerf this nerf, I would go for a Gothic/church look.
(faux) woodwork, polished brass pipes, embrossed swirls. Perhaps a rosary on the grip...

Steam Titan

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on February 01, 2018, 02:42:37 PM

I love the grip!
If I got it correctly, the black part in the middle is the magazine with side-loading slots.
The holes in the front are probably all non-functional, exept the big hole on top.
The gray grip is the pump action and the orange grip is just a grip with no function.
The way I see it, one can alter the dark orange part, as long as it's connecting the orange barrel to the back of the weapon.

The magazine looks like organ pipes. If I would have to un-nerf this nerf, I would go for a Gothic/church look.
(faux) woodwork, polished brass pipes, embrossed swirls. Perhaps a rosary on the grip...

would look cool that way

Will Howard

Quote from: Banfili on January 16, 2018, 12:03:21 PM
No, not Nerf anymore - more like Terminator!

You mean "Terminerfer"?
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Will Howard

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on January 15, 2018, 09:49:23 PM
Thank you for the replies.
The pump action is not Victorian era, but I think Steampunk is looking into the future from the perspective of a Victorian era person.

Pump-action IS broadly Victorian, at least in time frame.  In the United States, Spencer put out a pump shotgun in 1882, & the Winchester 1897 followed.  These (& others) are well within the time frame of Victoria's reign in England.
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Miranda.T

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on February 01, 2018, 02:42:37 PM

I love the grip!

Paint the foam darts silver, etch a cross in their ends and you've a rather fine looking vampire killer!

Yours,
Miranda.