News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (Mk. III)

Started by proteus, December 09, 2014, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Coral Lesong

Hello everyone! My name is Lady Coral Lesong, but my friends can call me Coral. I am relatively new to the steampunk scene, approximately within the last year or so, and I have to learn from all of you about the background of the steampunk genre and to carry it into everyday life. I am currently creating a village inside of Minecraft that is based on steampunk and I'm thinking about expanding it into a city. That's basically me in a nutshell. :) Have a nice day everyone!
                                                                                          -Lady Coral Lesong

HMSThunderChild

Hello, I'm John. I'm a bit new to the whole steampunk thing, but generally enjoy reading it and smirking inwardly when I see examples of it in everyday pop culture....and thats about it. I'm not the best at this stuff so expect me to be a ghost for awhile until I figure out the beats and paces of this forum.
To the glory of God and to the honour of twelve thousand of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets who have no grave but the sea.

Fawna W. Hartley

Hello, all! I've been lurking around this forum for awhile now, but I finally decided to join. Name of Fawna, as far as you lot are concerned. Joined up looking for projects to add some extra oomph to my outfit at the Steampunk Symposium. Nice to be here and all that.

Domnopalus

Greetings all,

I'm pretty new to the social aspects of Steampunk and subsequently the Steampunk community, but like Cordelia Cahill said on the last page, I've always been subconsciously drawn to it without knowing it was a "thing."  I absolutely adore the aesthetic and always have.  I've always been somewhat anachronistic.  I'm a scifi/fantasy nut, but I was raised on classical music by two violinists (my parents).  I studied piano for 12 years and hope to get back into it once life settles down a little bit.  I'm also a sculptor and illustrator.  I'm extremely fascinated particularly by the Victorian and Edwardian eras, the Old West, and the Roaring 20s.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lovecraft, Verne, Poe, Mary Shelley and her contemporaries are all adored "friends" of mine.  My spectrum ranges from Sherlock Holmes to The Great Gatsby to Star Trek, Dr. Who and far beyond in both directions.  I'm also fascinated by any and all supernatural aspects to any of these themes.

I have to see where best I fit in regarding Steampunk -- my tastes may somehow "predate" or possibly contradict the technological aspects of Steampunk to some degree because my absolute specialty is .... HORSES!  I live and breathe horses 24/7.  I absolutely love everything and all about them.  I am a nighttime horse-drawn carriage driver in New York City (and I always dress with a Steampunk slant when I drive).  There are also one or two other drivers who have an interest in Steampunk out there and dress accordingly!

Also, I have my own little horse, whom I rescued from an auction where he was bound for slaughter.  I named him Dr. Watson (and he is steampunk colors!).  He rides AND drives and is excellent in the city, but he is too small for the traditional carriages.  However, I do have some future city related plans with him and in the meantime I ride and will soon drive him around during my free time.  I love him to death--he is my permanent and infinitely inspirational companion!  Forgive me for gushing.

Is anyone familiar with any Steampunk literature and/or art that involves horses in any way (be that live or mechanically enhanced)?  I would LOVE to be familiarized.

Anyway, I'm pleased to be here!

P.S. Caravan Palace is in my opinion the musical embodiment of Steampunk.  I probably have funded their new album with the amount of times I've listened to all their music on Spotify.

Nephele

Welcome, Domnopalus!  Dr. Watson is magnificent!  And that's so cool that he's a rescue!

The War Horse (life-size puppet from the stage play) always makes me think of a Steampunk horse, somehow.

Ekavana

Hi to you all.

I'm relatively new to this although I think I've been drifting to it for a few years since I stayed with one of the sculptors (and I think founders) of the Steampunk HQ in Omaru, New Zealand in 2010, a great bloke called Don Patterson, friend of a friend over there.
I've also introduced my partner to Steampunk and she absolutely loves it. We have attended a Steampunk Yule Ball at The Phoenix in Exeter recently and also the New Years Eve Ball there, where there were quite a few of our very friendly community as well.
We are looking forward to Asylum this year, our first, and would appreciate any info or links that would help us.

GCCC

Quote from: Domnopalus on February 02, 2015, 11:25:12 PM
Greetings all,

I'm pretty new to the social aspects of Steampunk and subsequently the Steampunk community, but like Cordelia Cahill said on the last page, I've always been subconsciously drawn to it without knowing it was a "thing."  I absolutely adore the aesthetic and always have.  I've always been somewhat anachronistic.  I'm a scifi/fantasy nut, but I was raised on classical music by two violinists (my parents).  I studied piano for 12 years and hope to get back into it once life settles down a little bit.  I'm also a sculptor and illustrator.  I'm extremely fascinated particularly by the Victorian and Edwardian eras, the Old West, and the Roaring 20s.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lovecraft, Verne, Poe, Mary Shelley and her contemporaries are all adored "friends" of mine.  My spectrum ranges from Sherlock Holmes to The Great Gatsby to Star Trek, Dr. Who and far beyond in both directions.  I'm also fascinated by any and all supernatural aspects to any of these themes.

I have to see where best I fit in regarding Steampunk -- my tastes may somehow "predate" or possibly contradict the technological aspects of Steampunk to some degree because my absolute specialty is .... HORSES!  I live and breathe horses 24/7.  I absolutely love everything and all about them.  I am a nighttime horse-drawn carriage driver in New York City (and I always dress with a Steampunk slant when I drive).  There are also one or two other drivers who have an interest in Steampunk out there and dress accordingly!

Also, I have my own little horse, whom I rescued from an auction where he was bound for slaughter.  I named him Dr. Watson (and he is steampunk colors!).  He rides AND drives and is excellent in the city, but he is too small for the traditional carriages.  However, I do have some future city related plans with him and in the meantime I ride and will soon drive him around during my free time.  I love him to death--he is my permanent and infinitely inspirational companion!  Forgive me for gushing.

Is anyone familiar with any Steampunk literature and/or art that involves horses in any way (be that live or mechanically enhanced)?  I would LOVE to be familiarized.

Anyway, I'm pleased to be here!

P.S. Caravan Palace is in my opinion the musical embodiment of Steampunk.  I probably have funded their new album with the amount of times I've listened to all their music
on Spotify.

Dr. Watson doesn't look that small, in relation to you; so, just how tall is he?

As for Steampunk horses in the literature, your best bet might be Russia; their folklore is full of iron everything (even their vampires have iron teeth!). As far as in other media, try the 1979 Rankin-Bass TV special, Jack Frost:  the villain is a Cossack who rides a steam-powered, iron horse (named Klangstomper).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c7stUlDbRmE

Corroded Alloy

I have been a member of this most splendid forum for a few years now but I never got around to introducing myself.  As I am returning after an absence of a few months I thought I might as well introduce myself now.  First a very warm welcome to all the new members, I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.
I'm Jacob from North Wales. I am passionate about old British cars (BMC and British Leyland) of which I own, run and repair. I play and collect pianos (I have about 7 pianos and a Canadian harmonium) and love old furniture.  I love to weld, sew, woodwork, paint, sculpt and draw etc. I make and wear my own garments.  In fact I am never happier than when I am making, fixing, designing or modifying something.  My dress can definitely be described as steampunk even though I began dressing this way exclusively long before I had ever heard of the term.  I have, since a teenager, simply worn clothes that I like regardless of any sort of convention.  I am also quite the Doctor Who fan and when I say Doctor Who I'm talking about the fourth Doctor although I do watch and rather enjoy Peter Capaldi's interpretation of the good Doctor.  I can be found on the book of faces here   https://www.facebook.com/jacob.theunissen
Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.

Sir Serenade Sterling

Good day to you all! I'm Sir Serenade Sterling, but you can call me Serenade. I was introduced to this forum by my fiance Coral, or more formally, Lady Coral Lesong. I'm not into steampunk as much as she is, and I tend to be a lurker when it comes to forums, but I'll try to post once in a while when I have something worth saying!  :)

Domnopalus

Quote from: GCCC on February 03, 2015, 11:49:39 PM
Dr. Watson doesn't look that small, in relation to you; so, just how tall is he?

As for Steampunk horses in the literature, your best bet might be Russia; their folklore is full of iron everything (even their vampires have iron teeth!). As far as in other media, try the 1979 Rankin-Bass TV special, Jack Frost:  the villain is a Cossack who rides a steam-powered, iron horse (named Klangstomper).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c7stUlDbRmE

Dr. Watson is about 13hh (hands) tall, a hand is 4 inches so that means he's about 4'4" tall (52") at the top of the withers (shoulder).  I'm about 5'3" (63").  We are proportional to each other, heh.  Most of the carriage horses are 16hh, appropriate for the size of the carriages they use.  However, I found a place that makes the same kind of carriage for his size, so you never know, it may still be a possibility!

That is an AWESOME video, thanks so much for the recommendation!  Haha I love it, Klangstomper.  Let me know if you stumble upon anything else like that.

As for Ekavana, Corroded Alloy, and Sir Serenade Sterling, WELCOME ABOARD!

Renderking Fisk

I haven't read all the introductions here yet, but I'll get to it. I'm Eric, but many of my on-line friends call me Ren, which is short for "Renderking" - a name my dad gave me when I became obsessed with all things involved with computer hardware/software that is used to render images.

I'm here to volunteer my services as a graphic designer with 12 years under my belt, with 10 of CAD before that.

I run The Fedora Chronicles, and I've been passionate about the first half of the 20th Century and many styles from that era. I like a hybrid of both Steam and Dieselpunk. I wear retro/vintage every day and I'm now looking to go "Full Dieselpunk" as soon as I get my fourth degree from college.

Keep your chins up and your hats on!

skirbeck

good day ladies, gentleman and the rest of you.

I am Skirbeck, real name Dave. in real life I am a medieval knight retained in the service of His Grace King Henry IV, oh hang on, I've got mixed up again! i'm actually a 49 yr old caretaker at an office block most weekdays, sadly i'm only a knight at weekends.

thankfully my wife & youngest daughter are (almost) as mad as I am, so most weekends we're out in tents reliving medieval England. We actually got into steampunk via re-enactment - my profile pic was taken at Tatton Park Medieval Fair! - as we often dress up on Saturday nights to go to the beer tent, and every year the beer tent theme at Tatton Park is Steampunk, so here we are.

When not in caretaking, Medieval or Steampunk (well ok, more diesel I guess) mode, i'm actually a New Romantic (RiP Steve Strange) as I've never left the 80's be it 1380's, 1480's, 1880's or 1980's
The Knights of Skirbeck Medieval Re-enactment Society

Other re-enactment societies are available - but they're not as much fun!

New members always welcome

CloudWolf

greetings all. my name is josh, i'm a student, and airship captain. I've been in to steampunk for quite a while but now i'm getting really stuck in. a pleasure to meet all of you fine ladies and gents.
Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

Hikaro Takayama

Well, I've been a registered member of these forums for quite some time (since 2007), however I haven't posted much here the past 4 years or so, therefore I believe a re-introduction is in order, especially since there have been some MAJOR changes in my life since I last posted.

First of all, for those who remember me, I'm still into antique/custom-built steampunky telephones and other electronics projects, but due to having recently bought a house, and gotten into Minecraft & other things, I've kind of stalled out on most of them.  Also I have met and married a wonderful young lady who at least tolerates most of my forrays into retro-science fictional stuff (helps that she's a huge Harry Potter fan like I am:  Our house is decorated with all kinds of Harry Potter-related items).

Also, the biggest change since my last post is the realization sometime early last year that I am transgender, specifically what is known as bi-gender, meaning my gender identity periodically switches back and forth between male and female.  When I'm male, I'll try to remember to sign my posts as Hikaro, and when I'm female, I'll sign as Laura, and would thank you all if you use the appropriate pronouns.  If I forget to sign and/or you're unsure which state my gender identity is in, feel free to use the singular, or as I like to think of the the Royal "they".

The main reason I'm posting this is that I've gotten back into some of the clothing/apparel-side of things, but since I'm now mostly out about what I am, I'll be posting things relating to both genglemen's & ladies fashions (I've recently started acquiring suitable skirts, tights, blouses, etc), and don't want that to come as too much of a shock. 

Anyways, I hope to be posting more often here, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-Hikaro
"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."

nizzy01

Hi, I'm Niz. I recently just went to my first steampunk event with a couple of friends, which was brilliant, and someone suggested I sign up here. It was the first time that I've ever seen other people in steampunk stuff in real life.

I'm very into fandoms, I won't them all because there's a lot, but things like Doctor Who, Merlin, Narnia, Night Vale, Sherlock, etc. I think I can definitely see some steampunk cosplays happening in the future.

I'm trying to think of interesting stuff to say about myself, there isn't much. I'm part of a youtube channel that discusses asexuality called Acetronauts, I don't know if that's interesting.

VooDooCC

Very new. A friend told me about a "tweed ride" asking if I wanted to go, saying era correct clothing encouraged, but not required. I got to looking at pics, which made me think of all the cool steampunk things I've seen over the years and thought it would be more fun to go that route (even though I know nothing of the culture) instead of the "proper" attire. Anyway, that's where I'm at now. Just thought I'd stop in here before continuing my lurking.

Thanks,
Justin from Ohio.

Steampunk Away

Time for a reintroduction I suppose!

Writing currently is Captain Retep Madasa, captain of the Airship Icarus! Me and my partner for the account, Lady Kaitlynn, have been a part of Brass Goggles for a little over a year. We run a shop called Steampunk Away, currently doing custom orders, but our website will be up soon.

We both do leather work, weapons making, mask making, and sewing. Lady Kaitlynn does drawings, jewelry, and sculpting. I do black smithing, book binding (teaching her), and we both will soon (hopefully) be doing casting! We haven't seen been as active as we would have liked, but hopefully we will have a lot to show off soon.

We also go to events and socialize! We have been to three events so far, and plan on attending many more! Please send us an email or Personal Message if you want to know more about us or the events we attend!

Have a mechanical day!
Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!

Argus McJohnsten

I was VooDooCC, but that name doesn't work so well here, so I am now Argus.
Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.

Dannysylar

Hello I'm I am Danny, i'm a new to steam punk and went to my first event a little while ago. I tend to have my own spin on steampunk taking a mix of technology from throughout time to create my own style. I like things to be shiny and silver. I am an undefeated tea dueler! I have a few steampunk friends including my beautiful girlfriend and I just wanna meet new steampunkers and see/buy/make some cool stuff...Thats about it really

Stella Cartography

Hi there!  I'm Stella Cartography (no persona- I just have an incredibly boring real name). I came into contact with the Victorian Steampunk Society through a local sci-fi convention (SFBall).  I would like to attend more Steampunk events dependent on time and finance - I really like the dress and the ethos, and have met some really interesting and creative people thus far.  Happy to be here, and hope I get to meet some of you in the solid world at some point.

harrythespider

Hi everyone, I'm Harrythespider or just plain Harry, if you prefer. My wife and I are both very new to the Steampunk environment, although I do think I may have had the calling for many of the 50 odd years I have been a citizen of earth. We are living in the Nottingham area at present but will soon be moving up to Whitby (whoopee), although sadly not in time for the this WGW. Looking to start creating some themed weaponry at some point. If I succeed I will attempt to post pictures, but as a technophobe that may in itself prove a challenge. Thank you.

J. Wilhelm

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the forum!  Nice to see so many people joining this year!

Argus McJohnsten

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.

Veliquonar

Ahoy.  I'm Veliquonar or my given name, Matt.  I'm new to the boards and steampunk.  I found this site by typing in the phrase "medieval steampunk" and it directed me to a related thread, found the discussion interesting and here I am. 

I'm a witer, in my 30s, and am from and currently reside in the North American state of California.  Currently working on picking from a few different ideas for a novel series.  I've also been writing screenplays for 10+ years. 

fakebob

Hi Everyone

I'm FakeBob, an Architectural Designer from South Devon (The South Hams to be more precise). I discovered steampunk on an architectural project I was looking at a few weeks ago, told my wife (an interior designer) about it and got her hooked. We are in the process of steampunking our lounge at the moment!

We will be looking for some inspiration whilst here and might even post some pics of our work.

FakeBob