News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Little Trains in Wales

Started by James Harrison, February 04, 2015, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Wow, it really is just two months to go. And I still haven't managed to lay my hands on a decent pair of breeks. Oh well, still plenty of time.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

Well, my plan for this year is to drive to Porthmadog, rather than take the train.  This  of course may well change if my car decides to come over all British Leyland again (fingers crossed it won't).  I'm rather looking forward to the drive through Snowdonia to get there.   
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Well it is a pleasant drive, although the roads are such that it's nigh impossible to appreciate the scenery whilst driving (which tbf is one area the train has the edge).

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

They're the sort of roads my car was designed to be driven on; one of the (few) perks of running a classic British roadster.  To be honest I looked at a map and discovered it's 90 miles from my house to Porthmadog, then looked at the map a little more and found that the train goes pretty much everywhere else in North Wales before it gets to Porthmadog, which is why it takes the better part of 5 hours.  And having done that last year, yes it is a nice relaxing ride but it is also quite tiring and boring after a while.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

It's only 4 weeks away now; if anyone wants to just join us for one of the days rather than the full weekend you'll be more than welcome!  We'll be doing at least part of the Welsh Highland on the Saturday (which runs from Porthmadog up into Snowdonia), and on the Sunday we'll be doing at least part of the Festiniogg and then hopefully visiting Portmeirion in the afternoon. 

James Harrison

Madasasteamfish

Looking forward to it. Will be nice to break my camera out again.

James Harrison

Portmeirion tickets (if we decide we do want to visit); have to be bought on-line and ARE NOT VALID ON DAY OF PURCHASE. 

So; if we do want to go, I would advise booking either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday and visiting on the Sunday. 

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/visit/buy-tickets-online/

James Harrison

Home again!  (well, about 5 hours ago actually, but I had quite a lot of things to sort out)...

We had sideways rain this year on the Saturday, so the original intention of stopping off halfway to Caernarfon for a hike had to be abandoned. 
On the Sunday though the weather smiled on us, and we were able to get off at Tan-y-Bwlch and try to hike to Ddault.  I say 'try to hike' because although we found a likely-looking path, it ended after half a mile in a deep puddle of water in the middle of a wood, and I got eaten by a bear.  So in future, just take the train to Ddault.  It's easier. 

We were then able to spend the afternoon at Portmeirion.  I can only assume the white balloons were themselves on holiday, as we were able to extricate ourselves from The Village with no difficulty whatsoever. 

Oh, and then we were informed that there is a Victorian Weekend every year in October on the Festiniogg.  Maybe next year?

Photos here!

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/masgtai/library/2016%20Grand%20Summer%20Expedition%20July%209%2010?sort=3&page=1

James Harrison

Madasasteamfish

It might be possible to convince me to attend. I'll have to investigate hotels and the like before conforming however.

James Harrison

It's not absolutely certain that I'll be able to go yet; there's a few things up in the air at the moment (I'm trying to gauge general interest in an outing before deciding whether to try for it or not).  It's a few months away yet so there is still time to sort out the logistics of the trip; but I'm aware that as it's a special event there's a price premium which makes it that little bit more expensive.

James Harrison

Just to judge interest in organising a group outing on the North Wales narrow gauge next Summer (tentatively, 14/15 July 2018).

Would anybody want to come? 
Would people want to go to Porthmadog again?- or try one or two other venues (Talyllyn, Rheidol, Welshpool?)

Madasasteamfish

I'd certainly be interested but as much as I've enjoyed porthmadog I'd perhaps be interested in visiting some of the other narrow gauge lines thereabouts.

But I'm happy to go along with whatever other people fancy. Maybe we could do the ffestiniog/Welsh highland one day then pile into transport and visit another line the other day?

Miranda.T

Welshpool haven't released their events for 2018 but it seems in 2017 they had a number of 'Vintage' weekends over the summer with various displays in addition to the railway itself, and Tayllyn has a Victorian weekend on the 5th & 6th of August.

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 30, 2017, 08:18:09 PM
I'd certainly be interested but as much as I've enjoyed porthmadog I'd perhaps be interested in visiting some of the other narrow gauge lines thereabouts.

I quite agree with that. 

Quote from: Miranda.T on December 30, 2017, 08:56:04 PM
Welshpool haven't released their events for 2018 but it seems in 2017 they had a number of 'Vintage' weekends over the summer with various displays in addition to the railway itself, and Tayllyn has a Victorian weekend on the 5th & 6th of August.

Yours,
Miranda.

I'll keep an eye on the W&L site. 

Just having a look on googlemaps* with an eye to keeping the distance between venues to a minimum (say an hour's drive) there are two ideas that come to mind.  The first is the Welshpool & Llanfair followed by the Llangollen Railway, whilst the second is the Talyllyn followed by the Vale of Rheidol.  These would be weekend trips of course- doing the one on the Saturday and the other on the Sunday. 

I've no preference either way for these two (I'd be happy doing either!) but it strikes me that the W&L/ Llangollen idea would also appeal to the WMSA, maybe not the whole weekend but certainly Welshpool and Llangollen are both within reasonable driving distance of the West Midlands- potentially making a group outing. 

I'm open to other proposed itinieries!

*other online maps are available. 

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on December 31, 2017, 10:38:04 AM
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 30, 2017, 08:18:09 PM

I quite agree with that. 

Quote from: Miranda.T on December 30, 2017, 08:56:04 PM

Yours,
Miranda.

I'll keep an eye on the W&L site. 

Just having a look on googlemaps* with an eye to keeping the distance between venues to a minimum (say an hour's drive) there are two ideas that come to mind.  The first is the Welshpool & Llanfair followed by the Llangollen Railway, whilst the second is the Talyllyn followed by the Vale of Rheidol.  These would be weekend trips of course- doing the one on the Saturday and the other on the Sunday. 

I've no preference either way for these two (I'd be happy doing either!) but it strikes me that the W&L/ Llangollen idea would also appeal to the WMSA, maybe not the whole weekend but certainly Welshpool and Llangollen are both within reasonable driving distance of the West Midlands- potentially making a group outing. 

I'm open to other proposed itinieries!

*other online maps are available. 

Consider my vote cast for the W&L/Llagollen itinerary.

James Harrison

My own vote is for the W&L/ Llangollen.  I've mentioned it on the WMSA fb page too and there seems to be some support for it.

James Harrison

Myself and Miranda T. were discussing this excursion at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery meeting a few weeks ago. 

I think it might be better if we recast it just as a daytrip to the Welshpool & Llanfair; speaking personally I've got a few other calls on my weekends and works holiday allowance over the Summer months so I simply won't be available to make it an extended weekend outing as in previous years. 

Looking at the timetable I believe I tentatively mentioned the second weekend in July- 14/ 15th, but the previous weekend- the 7th/ 8th- is going to be a vintage weekend, running the railway's replica Edwardian carriages. 

In either case the earliest train out of Welshpool is around 11AM, which gives plenty of time to get there from Birmingham on a train. 

Which Saturday would be preferable?

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on March 30, 2018, 01:25:02 PM
Myself and Miranda T. were discussing this excursion at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery meeting a few weeks ago. 

I think it might be better if we recast it just as a daytrip to the Welshpool & Llanfair; speaking personally I've got a few other calls on my weekends and works holiday allowance over the Summer months so I simply won't be available to make it an extended weekend outing as in previous years. 

Looking at the timetable I believe I tentatively mentioned the second weekend in July- 14/ 15th, but the previous weekend- the 7th/ 8th- is going to be a vintage weekend, running the railway's replica Edwardian carriages. 

In either case the earliest train out of Welshpool is around 11AM, which gives plenty of time to get there from Birmingham on a train. 

Which Saturday would be preferable?

I think I'd vote for the 7th/8th personally.

James Harrison

Funnily enough for preference I'd go for the 7th; I quite like the idea of riding in Edwardian carriages dressed up in my mock Edwardian linen summer gear (but maybe that's just me...)

James Harrison

I'm intending to pre-book at least my ticket probably this week. 

Are we all OK for the 13.05 train from Welshpool on July 7th?- and who would like a ticket booked?

Madasasteamfish

Sign me up for one.

Give me a bit of time to confirm, but I can probably sort out some accommodation in Birmingham and travel with anyone coming from the city.

James Harrison

Shall do; my own plan for getting there is to take the train myself (we don't need to be there until after mid-day so we can have a leisurely journey up) so if people want to meet up at New Street station I'm up for that.   

Madasasteamfish

Well, scratch that. My hoped for accommodation isn't available that weekend  :(

Oh well, I've found somewhere cheaper in Shrewsbury. See you there.