News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Little Trains in Wales

Started by James Harrison, February 04, 2015, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Right, booking tickets now.  Pre-booking they're £12.70; turn up on the day and they're £13.70 (for adults). 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

Three weeks today!  That's crept up. Plan for the day is that we take the 1.05 train from Welshpool to Llanfair, which returns to Welshpool I think around 3.30/ 4.00 PM. 

If anybody is planning to come via train, if Worst Midland feels like running a railway (they didn't today, when I was trying to get home from Loughborough) I'm planning to go by train and am happy to meet up en route at Birmingham or Shrewsbury. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on June 16, 2018, 08:13:58 PM
Three weeks today!  That's crept up. Plan for the day is that we take the 1.05 train from Welshpool to Llanfair, which returns to Welshpool I think around 3.30/ 4.00 PM. 

If anybody is planning to come via train, if Worst Midland feels like running a railway (they didn't today, when I was trying to get home from Loughborough) I'm planning to go by train and am happy to meet up en route at Birmingham or Shrewsbury. 

Well, since it looks like I'll be staying in Shrewsbury I might as well meet you there.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

As it is next weekend I suppose it is time to lay out the full itinary for the day. 

West Midlands Trains seem to feel like running a railway on the 7th so I *will* be coming on the train.  We need to be at Welshpool Raven Square station a quarter-hour before the steam train leaves.  MASF and I are pre-booked on the Vintage Train (I must remember to print that ticket off!) which leaves Welshpool at 1.05, therefore we need to be at the station no later than 12.50. 

Welshpool's 'proper' station is the other side of town from Raven Square.  The weather forecast looks like it will be very warm and dry, and I'd sooner not walk any great distance in that heat, so I'll take down a few taxicab numbers and book a taxi to get us from Welshpool station to Raven Square.  More about the weather anon....

There is a train every two hours to Welshpool from Birmingham and the one we need to catch arrives in Welshpool at 11.50AM. It leaves Birmingham at 10.25AM and calls at Shrewsbury at 11.29AM (if you're still planning on meeting at Shrewsbury, MASF).  That then gives us an hour to get between the two stations... should be easy enough!

Now then, the steam train leaves Welshpool at 1.05PM, saunters it's way up to Llanfair, spends 45-50 minutes there and then comes back.  That's not a lot of time in Llanfair but from what I can gather there's not exactly much to do there.  There's a tearoom at the station and I believe the train does some demonstration shunting sort of thing in the meantime using the replica and vintage goods wagons. 

We then get back to Welshpool Raven Square at around 3.35, and there is a train back to Shrewsbury and Birmingham at 4.55.  That gives an easy hour and twenty minutes to get back to the mainline station, possibly have a look through the town on the way.... oh and there's a railway museum there too to while away some time. 

The train back from Welshpool calls at Shrewsbury at 5.33 and Birmingham New Street at 6.30. 

Now, what could go wrong?  Aside from trains not turning up.... well, there's the weather.  It looks like it will be warm and dry.  It's already been warm and dry (very much of both in fact) for a few weeks.  My worry now is that the steam trains might be cancelled due to the fire risk, considering how hard the engines have to work to get up the hill out of Welshpool.  I'll be keeping an eye on the WLLR website this coming week and advise in due course should it be necessary- of course we all hope it won't. 

James Harrison

Welshpool &Llanfair have announced they're running a diesel-only service until this hot and dry weather has had its fun.

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on July 02, 2018, 12:57:16 PM
Welshpool &Llanfair have announced they're running a diesel-only service until this hot and dry weather has had its fun.

Edited - I've just seen your message on the Facebook site; fingers crossed for you then for a bit of rain but I fear the forcase doesn't look in that favour  :(.

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

My own opinion on it is that I've got the ticket so I'm going; I may as well still go as it's still a day out in the nice (ha ha ha) weather, just not quite as originally planned.  The fact that only the diesels are running doesn't stop the steam locos being on display in the museum, for instance.   

If there's interest in a visit later this year (maybe September having gotten The Asylum and the perennial punknics and other summer-y events out the way) I'd consider a follow-on visit for the steam trains. 

That would mean... we can't do the 15th because I believe there's a picnic at Haden Hill?  (And in any case that day I'll be in Nottingham doing my annual Supporter's Day thing for the Big Green Thing that's being built over there).  Which leaves the weekends of the 1st, 8th, 22nd and 29th.  If there's interest in a visit then I'd be up for it.....

Madasasteamfish

I'd may well be up for a return visit later in the year. Given the proximity, we could even get adventurous and add the Severn Valley Railway to make a weekend of it.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on July 02, 2018, 05:57:59 PM
I'd may well be up for a return visit later in the year. Given the proximity, we could even get adventurous and add the Severn Valley Railway to make a weekend of it.

Could well be do-able.  Stay in Birmingham for the weekend (I say Birmingham because it is easier to get to both Welshpool and Kidderminster from there than anywhere else in the West Midlands) and do one the Saturday and the other the Sunday.  If there's interest in it I'd be up for it. 

Rose Inverness

Oh my goodness, this looks like fun.

I've been away for awhile.
That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on July 02, 2018, 05:48:28 PM
(snip)

That would mean... we can't do the 15th because I believe there's a picnic at Haden Hill?  (And in any case that day I'll be in Nottingham doing my annual Supporter's Day thing for the Big Green Thing that's being built over there).  Which leaves the weekends of the 1st, 8th, 22nd and 29th.  If there's interest in a visit then I'd be up for it.....

Out of those weekends the 22nd is another heritage day, and in case it is of any import to anyone the 29th is the same weekend as the Subaquatic Steampunk event in Portsmoth.

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

What's happening on the 22nd?  I'm also sure there is something going on on either the 1st or 8th September but I'm d-d if I can remember what it is...

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on July 03, 2018, 07:16:41 PM
What's happening on the 22nd?  I'm also sure there is something going on on either the 1st or 8th September but I'm d-d if I can remember what it is...

According to their web-site the 22nd is another day when they are running the Edwardian train; the weekend of the 1st is their gala weekend.

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

If the 22nd is another running day for the Edwardian train then that sounds like a candidate!

All change! All change!  They've thrown out the timetable for the 7th.... and cancelled the Edwardian train altogether. 

The options now are to take either a train at 11.05, returning to Welshpool around 13.55, or a train at 14.40, returning Welshpool 17.07. When you factor in that the next train out of Welshpool to Birmingham is then just before 7PM, that's quite a long time to kill in a small town on a Saturday evening- and then you've got to get home.... so, I think if anybody wants to join us, we'll be going for the 11.05. 

Do you ever get the feeling that someone 'up there' really has it in mind to utterly ruin your day?  :D

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on July 04, 2018, 04:47:09 PM
If the 22nd is another running day for the Edwardian train then that sounds like a candidate!

All change! All change!  They've thrown out the timetable for the 7th.... and cancelled the Edwardian train altogether. 

The options now are to take either a train at 11.05, returning to Welshpool around 13.55, or a train at 14.40, returning Welshpool 17.07. When you factor in that the next train out of Welshpool to Birmingham is then just before 7PM, that's quite a long time to kill in a small town on a Saturday evening- and then you've got to get home.... so, I think if anybody wants to join us, we'll be going for the 11.05. 

Do you ever get the feeling that someone 'up there' really has it in mind to utterly ruin your day?  :D

Well, I'll have to check my Nostradamus, but I'm pretty sure that the England football team winning a penalty shoot out is one of the final harbingers of the apocalypse.

Given what's been going on in the world the past few years (along with this weekend) I'm inclined to start expecting the end of the world.

James Harrison

Well, what ultimately happened....

4 o'clock yesterday evening I had a telephone call from the railway, they were going to attempt some steam running on an amended timetable.  So when we got to the railway this morning we had no idea what the motive power would be.

It turned out we were to be treated to both steam and diesel.  A steam loco hauling the passenger train, and following a short distance behind was a fire train.  Despite it's promising name, this was not a set of burning coal wagons, but rather a diesel engine and a water bowser ready to put out any fires we leave behind. 

All in all it was a really good day out.  Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154262192@N07/albums/72157698801228975

James Harrison

Spotted on Facebook this evening, it looks like next year for the first time in over 80 years an original Welsh Highland Railway locomotive will be taking passenger trains along the Welsh Highland Railway. 

I'll be keeping a close eye on this as the photographs from the test run suggest not only the original locomotive, but also some of the original WHR passenger stock will be used (shades of the Edwardian train on the Welshpool & Llanfair there, with the added Snowdonian scenery aspect).

So, if/when dates are announced, does anybody want to come and we'll make a weekend of it?  Last time a few of us went to Porthmadog I recall we did the Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog Railways and Portmeirion.   

James Harrison

21st to 23rd June 2019, Peny-mount to Beddgelert on the Welsh Highland behind an original Welsh Highland locomotive in original Welsh Highland rolling stock. Anybody want to join me?

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on November 27, 2018, 09:34:17 PM
21st to 23rd June 2019, Peny-mount to Beddgelert on the Welsh Highland behind an original Welsh Highland locomotive in original Welsh Highland rolling stock. Anybody want to join me?

Well, I'll certainly pencil that weekend into my diary...

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on November 27, 2018, 09:34:17 PM

If combined with a trip to Portmeirion it might be worth floating the idea over on the WMSA/BCSS, as when a possible trip to the aforementioned 'Village' was mentioned there a little while ago it did result in a good level of interest. Unfortunately for us we already have family commitments for that weekend; a shame as we haven't been up to that corner of Wales for a few years now.

Yours,
Miranda.

James Harrison

James Harrison

21st to 24th June. Time booked off work so I'm definitely going (hotel permitting) so- anybody want to join me?

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on April 17, 2019, 05:20:15 PM
21st to 24th June. Time booked off work so I'm definitely going (hotel permitting) so- anybody want to join me?

Hotel already booked, but will sort out time off work nearer to.

I'll see you there.

James Harrison

Looking forward!  (I've had to put off booking for a little while because of starting a new job a few months ago- and well it really doesn't look good does it, turning up and a few weeks later 'oh I'd like to book time off'.....)

I'm open to suggestions for non-railway things to do there too.  Portmeirion would be one option- or we can do some research nearer the time. 

James Harrison

Four weeks away now and I've had to chance to look at the timetable.  Between Porthmadog and Beddgellert there's going to be a Welsh Highland 1920s train running, formed of a WWI 4-6-0 tank and set of carriages.  Then there's one of the Ffestiniog's England 0-4-0s of the 1860s and the Welsh Highland's Russell of 1906 going to be running something called the 'bogie carriage train'-possibly the early Ffestiniog bogie carriages?  On top of which there's also the usual service trains running. 

I'd like to do the 1920s train and the bogie carriages, I'm open to suggestions if there's anything anybody really wants to do too.