News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Other anachronistic tendencies?

Started by SteampunkBuilder, October 23, 2007, 10:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean The Bastard

This is an interesting thread. In addition to being an SCA stick-jock I am also in the New Varangian Guard.  That is a very serious group which (no surprise) re-enacts the Byzantine Varangian Guard circa CE1000.  You can get away with non-period underwear but that is about it.

There is great fun to be had in both of them, it just gets a bit wanky when one lot starts slagging off the other.

With regard to the actual fighting, the NVG (metal weapons group) allow pretty much everything except thrusts above the nipple line and head strikes more than 45 degrees off the vertical, so some good times to be had there.  However for ball-tearing, kick-arse, let-the-gorilla-out-of-the-cage biffo; then I reckon the SCA has got that covered pretty well.

Mr. Oliver

Quote from: skeletonrobot on October 29, 2007, 08:47:01 PM
ive been known to partake in some darkon. really i just like to hit people with sticks.

Nothing against you, I was just raised in an SCA family.

Stick jock rant start: You lot arn't hitting eachother with sticks! Real men use rattan or hardwood! if a leg shot dosn't make your hear stop and turn your thigh purple, then you don't hit for squat...ect ect..... Insert joke about latex elf ears here....

bluestocking

I have a Master's degree in fashion history and theory, with a focus on the clothes of the Northern European Renaissance. I also worked as a fashion historian and costumer for a local living-history site that focused on the American New Nation period (actual time-frame c. 1805, if my memory serves).

I shall refrain from comment on the SCA, as I fear I could not say anything polite :) Suffice to say that I've had a very few good experiences and an overwhelming number of bad ones with the local groups.

Prof. Erwin Lindemann

I'm active in a club for keeping old computers alive http://www.classic-computing.de. We are collectors of old hardware like old Commodores, Atari, Sinclair, MSX, Apple... We help other owners of such computers to repair them, getting software, manuals, books and general information, we make one time a year a big fair (this year I'm organising it in Moers (near Düsseldorf)), and a lot of smaller activities like speaking at schools, being at other fairs, helping museas, giving interviews for TV, radio  and magazins.

Albrecht

I have some knowledge of medieval fencing, own my own sword and also was into Second World War reenactment while in Britain.

elShoggotho

Mostly medieval reenactment and live-action role playing of all sorts. One very memorable christmas, I was out at the Königstein fortress, helping out the candlemaker at a local christmas faire. Very windy. On Sunday morning, the stonemason's hut went right over the banister into the casemates. Luckily, some modern bridge was in the way, so it could be salvaged.

Oh, and SCA fighters are pansies. True men fight with true steel! ;D

Mr. Oliver

Quote from: elShoggotho on February 12, 2008, 12:27:27 PM
Mostly medieval reenactment and live-action role playing of all sorts. One very memorable christmas, I was out at the Königstein fortress, helping out the candlemaker at a local christmas faire. Very windy. On Sunday morning, the stonemason's hut went right over the banister into the casemates. Luckily, some modern bridge was in the way, so it could be salvaged.

Sod to you! Us real men fight with bronze!

SteampunkBuilder

Quote from: Mr. Oliver on February 12, 2008, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: elShoggotho on February 12, 2008, 12:27:27 PM

Sod to you! Us real men fight with bronze!

Pish-posh to you both!  Real men need no weapons. 

Likewise, they can eat quiche if they jolly well want to and there's nothing you can do about it!

Feh!  :D
God bless Victoriana!

Laird Douglas, Independent Adventurer
Minister of Conservancy and Proliferation

Forge from the Steampunk X-Men, winners of the Dragon*Con 2010 Masquerade.
http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6601-600x400.jpg

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Einstein