News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 09, 2015, 05:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger Reid

With practiced ease Celia created the flash, and in the instant of the brilliant glare Reid set to work scrubbing.   As the soapy water met steel, the shadow slid even more quickly down the blade to land on the cobblestone.   The small pools of only darkness slithered around till they came together some distance from,the group.   Reid stood and examined his kit.   Satisfied he bore no darkness, he nodded to the lady.   "Thank you Ma'am." 

Stella Gaslight

"It is my job." Celia said with a bit of pride.  "Things must be pretty bad if he was willing to detach his shadow.  That is a very trying thing to get right."
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"well if he does we have our gallant hero to protect us" said Mallard, completely ignoring Abraham's previous remarks. "Again, I am truly sorry to have to behave like this Celia. I shall bit the bullet as it were. So when do you think that we will get time to fully start the investigation? is it bad I really want to crack on- regardless of... partnering..." he said, putting extra emphasis on the last word.
I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

Quote from: Space Captain Toby on July 10, 2008, 11:36:25 AM
"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"

Stella Gaslight

"I don't think we have the luxury of waiting.  But be careful we have no idea what else they have up there sleeves."

Look for me on Etsy

Ranger Reid

Reid looked at Ms. Celia and said "I should have a telegram waiting at the Baxter by now.  It will allow me access to the tower, unless my boss has let me down.  I will go see.  Whomever you have 'assigned' to go with me should come along."
With that the ranger turned,on his heel and strode,off at a brisk pace.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"must I"? he asked Celia, and seeing the expression on her face, he got up and followed him
I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

walking stick

A street sweeper appeared to clear up the debris.  Celia recognized one of Beety's more useful male disguises and noticed that she checked the ground very carefully before vanishing round a corner only to return dressed as a wealthy widow.  "I could understand Those in White casting a spell of confusion but the amount of power needed to put such a spell on them is extremely dangerous." She showed the group a gauge similar to the ones used for aetheric pressure.  "All that energy just to frame us as a diversion.  Lung would say we live in interesting times."

CPT_J_Percell

"My dear, this is only the beginning, as the darkness returns so will the strength of the incantations!" James said as he walked towards the front door, in his hand was a book that he hadn't had on him when he had left and the ladies looked at him inquisitively.
"The Black History Book!" he said closing and waving it at the ladies, It mentions some of the rising darkness mention by some of the older company and Alliance members but nothing about this event." They looked at him confused but he continued up to the door.
"Lady Celia, do you have an incantation chamber that I may be able to borrow for a while, I need to speak with my demi-god contacts?"
I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com

Ranger Reid

Reid stormed along till he passed a sign that said "Public House, Ale"  he dove inside and sat at a table.  The barkeep looked over and he held,up 2 fingers.  She drew two,drafts.   The professor came,in and was about to blast the ranger for not getting on with it when Reid spoke.  As he talked the beers came, a,d he shoved one to his new partner.

He said "listen.  You talk too much for my taste."   the professor bristled visibly "hold on " the ranger continued " I think you have a good eye for details, and I am not good with people,  so I am asking for your help when we get there.   I know I can get us in.  But you will need to deal with the locals.  I would probably get us kicked back out just as quickly.  So.... How about it?  You take lead with the local constables?"    he waited for the response.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"well... people aren't really my thing either, wow. We finally have something in common... However, I have worked with Scotland yard before, so I can probably get us in without too much hassle." he picked up his beer "If you think I talk a lot now, you wait till you see me me when I'm drunk..."

Ranger Reid

An undisclosed number of drafts behind them, the two men stepped into the street.  Reid took the lead.  And froze.  He store there for,a,bit, and the professor sighed.   He turned to,the right and started walking.   Reid couldn't bri,g himself to admit that he couldn't remember the way to the Baxter.

As they arrived, the clerk lit up like he had met the pope.  " Mr. Reid, sir!!!! You have messages sir! One,is from Scotland Yard, and the other sir, it says " Office of the President".

Reid handed the first one,to,the professor, and opened the second,one.  It said "do NOT come,home,yet.  Find your damned bird.  I spoke to the Chancellor."

He looked at the Professor to see what the second note said.

Stella Gaslight

"I may have a place you can use.  I have to check and make sure it isn't occupied.  You never know what gets drawn into old places like this. Be gentle in your calling there is a lot of magic in the balancing here and if it starts to tip things will not go well for us.  Let me get Toby and his new friend safely tucked away."  Celia worried about her boy quite a bit.  He had some gifts of his own but he would always be her little boy.

Look for me on Etsy

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"Hmm, It seems that someone is awake down there, as they have actually noticed that the raven is gone- and they've asked for my help in retrieving it. ha. ha. ha. Better late than never, I suppose. Oh, it seems that Inspector Doyle will be waiting for us outside the tower gates. I'm assuming that means that I don't have to use my somewhat feeble charm to get in there..." said Mallard as he read. "care to share, Reid?"

Steampunk Away

Abraham donned his hood and stepped into the alleyways near his house. It may be a different city, but the type of people that delt with "misplaced items" we're still the same.

He came across an old, broken down pub, and he walked in.

He was greeted by some not so friendly looking men.

"Is Sven here? If he isn't, tell him I'll ring his neck later."
Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!

Ranger Reid

Oh yes, my,boss said he would,put in a good word.  But that doesn't matter, you have our,ticket in. " Reid smiled.  He figured the message was in response to his boss.  After all, it had been delivered to Reid by name.  But whatever the professor wanted to say.   He was content that they were on their way.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"I can see it in your face, you think I'm making it seem as if they addressed it to me to make myself look clever. simple explanation, I have worked with the yard in the past, so your "employer" must have asked them for permission, and the yard know I work with the irregulars, which is where your wire was sent from, and asked for my assistance"

Ranger Reid

I am perfectly satisfied.  Shall we continue?

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

"Fine by me, don't slow me down, and by the way, I'm not a Professor. I am first and foremost a Detective. " The underground journey seemed unnaturally long, as neither of the two spoke all the way to the tower. There were few others on the tube at that time of night, so the atmosphere was very awkward indeed.

Ranger Reid

Reid revelled in the silence.  He wondered if he could keep the pique inflamed enough for it to last the whole time.   If it wasn't for the smell of body odor and urine coming from the tube, the trip would have almost been enjoyable.

Prof. Isambard Ravenwood

The silence gave Mallard a chance to think. Who was responsible for the theft of the Raven? what was their motive? why are the white hounds so desperate too stop us- are the two connected? too many questions, and not enough answers. Perhaps the key to it all was at the scene of the crime, Mallard really hoped for something to stimulate his brain- the idjit next to him certainly did nothing to rectify that...

walking stick

Beety settled in for the night. It would sound fanciful to call her current task guarding the children from unpleasant dreams but it would be dangerous to mention that she was guarding the world from what would happen if the children were overwhelmed by their dreams.  Beety knew very well that the mind can be a terrible place.

Stella Gaslight

Celia walked in silence with the captain down a finely carved stone staircase.  This had her worried. Yes it was her job to to remember and keep the balance and she had done some hard things in the past but it had never been personal. Deep in her heart she wondered if she had not been the catalyst for a part of this attack.  Celia knew she had broken one of the big rules but he had been so small and full of tears.  She could not stop herself from acting in his behalf.  They reached the end of h the hall and Celia almost walked into the thick oak door. The stone chamber was silent and full of cobwebs.  She could feel echoes of past callings but nothing strong. "I think this should work.  But be mindful of how much you let manifest."

Look for me on Etsy

Steampunk Away

Sven appeared out of the shadows and gave Abraham a quick affirmative nod, and sunk back into them.

Abraham followed the emaciated man to a back room, where Sven had laid out an old tablet.

"Sven I am here about the birds"
Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!

Ranger Reid

Eventually the two men arrived at the front gate.  As they approached a guard stepped out in their way.  Before they had a chance to argue or announce themselves, another fellow in a tweed jacket and bowler leaned out from behind the main gate and yelled, "Let them through."  The guard didn't show any emotion, but simply stepped aside. 

As they entered the front hallway the man addressed Mallard.  "This your Yank bird expert then?"  Reid braced himself for the snide remark.  As they entered Reid was already looking around.  Any signs out here might lead to better information inside. 

Stella Gaslight

"You and everyone else old friend."  Sven said with a weary look and as Abraham got closer he could see bruises and sighs that the other people asking had not liked what they had heard.

There was a shimmer in the air like before a thunderstorm all around the tower.  Reid was sure someone was staring at him and he was right but he would have never guessed what.  There was an odd scraping sound and he could not be sure but he didn't think that gargoyle was facing his way before.

Look for me on Etsy