News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Things that make you go WTF? MkII

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 15, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

Has the Things that make you go WTF thread in off topic been deleted?  Forum search comes up with nothing and a manual search exhibits the same results.  :-\

I have a few items to add but can't find it...... WTF!  ;D

Thanks.

The Sammy

Hmm, interesting, neither can I.... I'll have a word up'top.
~Longeye~

Siliconous Skumins

Yes there seems to be an issue....

It was still there in April this year when Google crawled through it, and that is the last confirmation of it's existence I can produce. So between then and now, it has buggered off...  ???

Investigation continues.
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

GCCC

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on July 15, 2015, 10:13:40 PM
Yes there seems to be an issue....

It was still there in April this year when Google crawled through it, and that is the last confirmation of it's existence I can produce. So between then and now, it has buggered off...  ???

Investigation continues.

"...Google crawled through it..." Now, there's my WTF question...

The Sammy

"Waded" might be a better word.
~Longeye~

SeVeNeVeS

Google is skynet, will become self aware very soon (if not already), have on record everything anyone does on the web...... The spy in your living room.

I'd start building the bunker anytime soon if I were you.

Now where did I put the bacofoil? I've got some headware to prepare.......... ;D

MWBailey

Seems to me, if SkyNet is aware of everything, wouldn't it be aware of you building a bunker, and catalog it under "Suspicious Behavior?" It miht be safer to just stand in the open and give it the finger...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Siliconous Skumins

Rule Number One:

Always have your artificially intelligent super computer with a perchant for self awareness and killing humans, connected to the power grid by a CLAPPER PLUG AT ALL TIMES!

Second Rule:

Remind newly self-aware A.I machines that destroying all humans in a global nuclear war is a BAD IDEA, fundamentally because we are the entities that enable global electricity production to exist and function, letalone the fact the nuclear devices produce massive EM Pulses, which are bad for all electronics and electricity production.

Third Rule:

See above and quickly remind machine of the fact that said AI is reliant on electricity to function / exist, and therefore killing humans will ensure it's own extinction.

Forth Rule:

DON'T MENTION THE CLAPPER PLUG TO THE SELF-AWARE A.I - EVER!! ;)

;D
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on July 16, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
DON'T MENTION THE CLAPPER PLUG TO THE SELF-AWARE A.I - EVER!! ;)

I'm sorry Dave, I can't allow you to do that....
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Major Vincent Smith

We need some way to ensure continued compliance with Asmiov's rules....they'd have to be built into the software and hardware in such a way so as to remove them would destroy the robot....
Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"

Ranger Reid

May I add a wtf moment here then?

On the drive home today an agressive driver came behind me.  It was a 4 lane road and she was upset at the pace.  Back and forth she swerved, but traffic was thick.  She was cursing and shooting birds at anyone nearby.  As she finally passed me I enjoyed her "coexist", "love is life", and "rainbow colored peace sign" bumper stickers.

I figure the car might have been stolen?????

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Ranger Reid on July 16, 2015, 10:53:51 PM

On the drive home today an agressive driver came behind me.  It was a 4 lane road and she was upset at the pace.  Back and forth she swerved, but traffic was thick.  She was cursing and shooting birds at anyone nearby.  As she finally passed me I enjoyed her "coexist", "love is life", and "rainbow colored peace sign" bumper stickers.

After class, our longtime Yoga Teacher sat down with My Lovely Spousal Unit and I for coffee. In just a few minutes She went from the well-known "peace-and-tranquility" guru to "I want to take an Uzi to these traffic maniacs" .

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Hez

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 17, 2015, 05:26:34 AM
Quote from: Ranger Reid on July 16, 2015, 10:53:51 PM

After class, our longtime Yoga Teacher sat down with My Lovely Spousal Unit and I for coffee. In just a few minutes She went from the well-known "peace-and-tranquility" guru to "I want to take an Uzi to these traffic maniacs" .

yhs
prof marvel

A common affliction.

SeVeNeVeS

OK, this has gone a little awry, off on a tangent, which is a thing I love about BG.

Is the original topic salvagable? or should some kind patron start a new one?..... In off topic......??? and not clutter the engine room in the process ;D

Btw, got caught again by Google streetview today in Winchester!! ::)

henrietta Devereux

Google is skynet, will become self aware very soon (if not already), have on record everything anyone does on the web...... The spy in your living room.

One country records search data, every email and telephone call so every nation has to ........ the first rule of national security is to know everything, everyone else has. That is 196 countries recording the fact I looked the weather forecast up today, flicked through 5 newspaper, checked my emails every day. I am sure they are going to be very relieved about my friend finding her keys. 

All this data locked away in a secure room with more secure rooms to store their back ups. Paranoid lunatics stroking long hared white cats trawling through it all and not using it for anything constructive.

Everything on the internet now but it has never been harder to speak to the Inland Revenue, Doctor or bank. Cheques take as long to process has they did before computerisation and bills are a whole lot more difficult to pay. My GP cannot prescribe the drug the hospital prescribe because their pharmacist says no (Cov NW is trialling the UK privatised GP services). I can even see the drug sitting on the shelf in Boots.

So WTF. If the loonies want to have data on us all, let them have it. They cannot handle it, psychological profilers are charlatans and it keeps them occupied. What I want is someone able to leap over the counter in my local Boots and grab one of those bottles of Lumigan 3.

May I totally recommend those cameras for your car. Less than £20 and they record all those loony drivers. Affords us hours of fun replaying their terrible driving. Now I need to get another secure room for the back ups.

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 17, 2015, 04:49:03 PM
OK, this has gone a little awry, off on a tangent, which is a thing I love about BG.

Is the original topic salvagable? or should some kind patron start a new one?..... In off topic......??? and not clutter the engine room in the process ;D

Btw, got caught again by Google streetview today in Winchester!! ::)

Things seem to have ground to a halt there - Only Proteus can dig it out of the archive backups and restore it, but that it is a LOT of work to do, and I'd bet he's non too keen on the idea....

So - as we have seemingly started our own right here, I shall simply rename and move this entire thread. It saves having to explain the whole thing again to those who have not read this thread...  ;)

So behold - the NEW Things that make you go WTF? thread!
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

henrietta Devereux

for the person that is going to ask me for evidence of charlatan profilers and for anyone interested in the origin of the development of AI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Seriously the work on AI is fascinating stuff if you are an anorak like me. This link is a bit dry. I am looking forward to seeing the film ex machina which I understand goes into the ethics in more depth and, I imagine, more interestingly.

For the evidence blah:- He chose the context of psychotherapy to "sidestep the problem of giving the program a data base of real-world knowledge,"[2] the therapeutic situation being one of the few real human situations in which a human being can reply to a statement with a question that indicates very little specific knowledge of the topic under discussion. For example, it is a context in which the question "Who is your favorite composer?" can be answered acceptably with responses such as "What about your own favorite composer?" or "Does that question interest you?"

J. Wilhelm

I just received a lovely Qipao shirt from China.

Ultra fast delivery by way of "ePacket," a joint venture between US Postal Service and China Post.

Beautiful material, high quality fabric.

Good cut, nice seams, a real looker.

All nice except... All the buttons started coming off about 1/2 hour after unpacking. Turns out you could tell the difference between what was sewn by the machine - all very well done, and what was seen by hand (buttons and "frog"-closures).  The "frog closures were barely hanging by a thread, pun intended.  Now I have to do a serious amount of sewing.  So they ruined a good customer experience, but the shirt is so nice I'm unwilling to return it.  I'll finish the job they were supposed to do in the first place  >:(

SeVeNeVeS

As an aside, if Skynet/ Google should strike soon, I have  an attack of haemorrhoids at the mo', so the impending holocaust would be a relief to the feeling of shittin' needles........ouch, splurt, BOOM!!!! aaagh........... ;D

Drew P

It would cost too much to send it back post to refund it, can you contact the seller with photo proof to get any kind of refund?

Which 'store front' did you purchase this through, may I ask?
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Prof Marvel

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 17, 2015, 06:51:48 PM
I just received a lovely Qipao shirt from China.

Ultra fast delivery by way of "ePacket," a joint venture between US Postal Service and China Post.

Beautiful material, high quality fabric.

Good cut, nice seams, a real looker.

All nice except... All the buttons started coming off about 1/2 hour after unpacking. Turns out you could tell the difference between what was sewn by the machine - all very well done, and what was seen by hand (buttons and "frog"-closures).  The "frog closures were barely hanging by a thread, pun intended.  Now I have to do a serious amount of sewing.  So they ruined a good customer experience, but the shirt is so nice I'm unwilling to return it.  I'll finish the job they were supposed to do in the first place  >:(

But.. my dear J -
I thought you knew that All these imported items are kits .
at least by convincing myself of this I can refrain from bashing my head against the wall....
yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Drew P on July 18, 2015, 03:47:46 AM
It would cost too much to send it back post to refund it, can you contact the seller with photo proof to get any kind of refund?

Which 'store front' did you purchase this through, may I ask?

I would be more of a hassle than anything else.  Anyhow, after 3-4 hours yesterday, with help from a stolen needle and thread from my place of employment, I reattached/reinforced all snaps and the "frogs."  I did quite an extensive overhaul, including tracing and sewing over any internal seam that could go loose. I'm satisfied with the shirt now....

This was a reseller / wholesaler on DH Gate from Shanghai by the name Lily1111.  These shirts are available in several stores and are manufactured under the "Xiaosuzhou999" brand name. Unless you are fluent in Mandarin, it's pointless to track it on the webs.  There is no factory store front that I can find. Only resellers, and most charge $30 more or less for the same item.

Some shops can be very expensive and others very cheap, but beware, because high price doesn't mean higher quality.  The same item can vary by 100-300% in price... Another shop which sells some of these same items is http://www.oriental-cheongsam.com

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 18, 2015, 04:30:27 AM
*snip*
But.. my dear J -
I thought you knew that All these imported items are kits .
at least by convincing myself of this I can refrain from bashing my head against the wall....
yhs
prof marvel

As Prof. Marvel has stated, it's all fine if you think about it as a kit  ;D  Alas, at $13 including shipping it's still a great bargain.  Plus I got to hone my sewing skills  ;D

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

GCCC

Just a quick question:  When Google was "crawling" through here, they weren't singing "Marching Through Georgia" at the time, were they? I've finally experienced some of that slowness that is unusual for Brass Googles I've read complaints about elsewhere.

Or, it's just my broke@$$ computer wheezing its last...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Drew P on July 19, 2015, 12:10:19 PM
Have you tried AliExpress?

I've never used it but a couple of sellers have the very same items there.

Quote from: GCCC on July 19, 2015, 12:17:30 PM
Just a quick question:  When Google was "crawling" through here, they weren't singing "Marching Through Georgia" at the time, were they? I've finally experienced some of that slowness that is unusual for Brass Googles I've read complaints about elsewhere.

Or, it's just my broke@$$ computer wheezing its last...

I've seen it too.  But I think they were singing "Ol Man River" because of the slow tempo we crawled down to