News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Things that make you go WTF? MkII

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 15, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: LukeHogbin on June 28, 2023, 03:07:38 PM
Firefighters are a big part of culture here in my country, from volunteer firefighters to professional ones. All greatly respected.

At least on this side of the Atlantic, it's got s lot to do with history. In San Francisco and other large cities as a consequence of industrialization, there were massive fires, and firefighters were an established institution early on.  Also because the United States has been involved in so many wars, especially since the Spanish American War when Teddy Roosevelt was president, the military became ingrained culturally in society.

von Corax

Apparently in Canada something like 75% of firefighters are volunteers. Further, depending on which province they're in they may get paid or they may not, and may even be required to supply their own PPE. They may be eligible for a $3000 Federal income tax credit, but only if they work more than 250 hours in a year.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

The Bullet

Quote from: von Corax on June 29, 2023, 02:25:26 AM
Apparently in Canada something like 75% of firefighters are volunteers.

In Germany we have about 95% volunteers.
We get PPE and (if trained to wear breathign equipment) a full medical check every 3 years.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

SeVeNeVeS

is it me? ......there are  2 sets of spare keys to my recently passed mums house, one is now in America and the other in Basingstoke.

I explained there is an invention called "A Key Safe" gave everyone the code and screwed the thing to a brick wall.

Oh, sorry we took them home....NSFW ..............

Spoiler: ShowHide
FUCKING FAMILY FUCKWITS!!!!!.........

So now I am forced to pay for another set to be cut........... Is it me?

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 01, 2023, 04:46:11 PM
is it me? ......there are  2 sets of spare keys to my recently passed mums house, one is now in America and the other in Basingstoke.

I explained there is an invention called "A Key Safe" gave everyone the code and screwed the thing to a brick wall.

Oh, sorry we took them home....NSFW ..............

Spoiler: ShowHide
FUCKING FAMILY FUCKWITS!!!!!.........

So now I am forced to pay for another set to be cut........... Is it me?

Family... Can't live with them, can't annihilate them...

Banfili

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 28, 2023, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: LukeHogbin on June 28, 2023, 03:07:38 PM
Firefighters are a big part of culture here in my country, from volunteer firefighters to professional ones. All greatly respected.

At least on this side of the Atlantic, it's got s lot to do with history. In San Francisco and other large cities as a consequence of industrialization, there were massive fires, and firefighters were an established institution early on.  Also because the United States has been involved in so many wars, especially since the Spanish American War when Teddy Roosevelt was president, the military became ingrained culturally in society.

We too have a mix of paid, but mostly volunteer firefighters, especially in rural areas. they join hands with local SES (State Emergency Services), and rural and remote area ambulance personnel.

SeVeNeVeS

I got a message on my PC this morning.......... Restart to install windows 11

I never asked for an update to 11, so it seems microsnot is forcing me to upgrade!

Is there any way I can stop that nstallation/ transition?............ Simple laymans not too technical, not that good withthis stuff

WTF!

And in the history of brewing alcohol, who was it that stumbled on the process of Whiskey and decided yeah that tastes good?

That stuff is truely discusting.

Jesus I think bleach and hydrochoric acid mixdwith a little drain cleaner may actually taste better...........

The Bullet

Yes, this "free upgrade" is just turning you into an unpaid beta-tester.

The opt-out is usually hidden somewhere.

SeVeNeVeS

It doest seem to be an option, unless i turn off updates comletely it will happen the next time I re-boot.

gaaaagh is 11 stable? should I just go with it?

My Poish techie has gone and got himsef a highpayed job miles away....... Blooding hell.

Ceir

o/" ~Watching the latest Twitter dumpster fire~ o/"

...even in text I sing off key.
In all fairness, some of those who wander are definitely lost.

The Bullet

Ordered parts for a project.
Did not hear anything for 4 weeks. Phoned the company.
"Yes, we will send it right away."
No explanation why nothing had been done so far.
WTF?
Received the parcel on Monday, checked the contents and one part that was ordered as "4 sets of 2" was delivered as "4 parts".
S**t happens.
Phoned them again.
"Yeeees, we already noticed, the parts are right here on my desk. I will post them right away."
Nothing happened.
Phoned them again on Friday.
"Yeeees, the parts are on my desk, right in front of me. I will post them today but [*dirt cheap delivery*] takes a week so it will not matter much."
WTF?
I asked them why nothing had happened after my phone call on Monday and told them that I could not use the parts without those missing bits and this puts a stop to the whole project.
No apologies, just a bit of grumbling and "if you insist" they would choose [*cheap delivery option*] that would get it here on Monday.

Has customer service been phased out?
How do these folks earn their living?

I might order somewhere else next time.

J. Wilhelm

rovingjack

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 04, 2023, 01:19:55 PM
Whatever is going through Elon Musk's head. WTF.

would you say he's crossed some lines? :D
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

J. Wilhelm

LukeHogbin

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 04, 2023, 01:19:55 PM
Whatever is going through Elon Musk's head. WTF.

To be fair, when I was a kid, I was also fascinated with the letter X, because it doesn't exist in either of my native languages. But I eventually grew out of it.

Musky Husky, otoh:

1) Was kicked out of PayPal because he kept trying to rename it to X and wanted the domain to be x.com
2) Named one of his kids X
3) Bought Twatter, ran it into the ground, and renamed it to X
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

J. Wilhelm

The stupidity of technology, or should I say the people who make decisions about the next generation technology.

The US is about to change digital air broadcast again. The problem? People are not jumping into the new standard and manufacturers worldwide aren't interested either because of the low demand.
 On top of that I hear that encrypted movies broadcast over the air will have a required decrypting codec to be obtained over the Internet!!

What's the point of over the air broadcast then?

ADTH NextGen TV Tuner Breaks ATSC 3.0 DRM? It loo...:

https://youtu.be/U-iXLAmZ9d0

Cora Courcelle

I know it's me, but I can't see any way to log out .....
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

von Corax

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on September 04, 2023, 06:46:54 PMI know it's me, but I can't see any way to log out .....

Click on your name in the extreme top left corner of the page.

Cora Courcelle

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

rovingjack

FFS after still more aluminum wiring glitches, talking to the landlord, and he says "the walls at least we know are good."
Me: I'm not sure we do know they are good. the dining room wall is definitly twisted in a noticable way.

him: I think that side is sinking a bit. the doors on that side of the house swing closed.

me: you patched a crack in the corner of the cement foundation. and the central beam running down the middle of the house is a noticable raised spot in the floor along the whole length. I strongly suspect the house is twisting, and you might find other cracks along the foundation on the opposite corner.

him: Already had on years ago. After we dug up that side of the basement to turn into our living space down there, and cut windows in the side. That whole side was underground, we dug out the ground and a bunch of gravel and rocks, took out the stairs down to the storm cellar to make it our front door.

me: that was approved by an inspector?

Him: we didn't need one, we did all the work ourselves, Me and Dad. Somebody told me a few years ago that the crack we covered over and put a raised garden bed in front of was because we dug away that whole side of earth all the way to the floor of the basement, and that it should go four feet down into the ground minimum. So I made raised bed gardens beneath our windows down there.

Geezous Key-rised, this is the most bodged and janky building I've ever been trapped living in.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Cora Courcelle

It's bad that you have to live in it, but at least you don't own it ...

SeVeNeVeS

I may have a man crush on Jason Momoa
Iv'e been watching a TV series entitled On The Roam, he is into everything I am and comes across as a nice bloke.
Can hounestly say all of his films have been pretty rubbish so far and maybe not a great actor but what great interests.