News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Things that make you go WTF? MkII

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 15, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCCC

Gonna have to go with "no" on that one...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 14, 2015, 09:42:36 AM
Ummm... er... yes. I mean no... well, you be the judge:

Star Wars Makeup by Cover Girl
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/covergirl-launching-star-wars-makeup-c1234171921752118/photo-star-wars-mascara-1439490725908.html

Quote from: GCCC on August 14, 2015, 09:57:17 AM
Gonna have to go with "no" on that one...

Cover Girl must have gotten the idea after they saw this joke on the Internet:

What's wrong with colouring your hair with "Medium Chewbacca Brown No. 24"?

Looks better than "Platinum Stormtrooper No. 15" or "Light Boba Fett Blond No. 17"

Drew P

Wow, that's some horrible flash-back stuff from the 60s and 70s.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Drew P on August 14, 2015, 11:14:17 AM
Wow, that's some horrible flash-back stuff from the 60s and 70s.

Well, Star Wars came out in 1977. I don't know about the 60s. Not soft enough, and the colors are all wrong for the 1960s.  The Stormtrooper hairdo/makeup is far more reminiscent of the turn of the 1980s, punk /New Romantic (still Star Wars age).  And the bold metallicmakeup in general, you'll find that never left the catwalk, so to speak. Metallic tones / makeup/ clothing were big circa 1982, a present sporadically between 1975 and 1980.  Metallic tones were a futuristic thing.

Drew P

I saw it as what someone in the 60/70s thought the future may look like.
Whatever, it still hurts.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Drew P on August 16, 2015, 03:18:44 AM
I saw it as what someone in the 60/70s thought the future may look like.
Whatever, it still hurts.

Any way you see it's horrible. Definitely pushing hard to exploit the Star Wars brand toward a different age group (naturally since some young people back then are old geezers now - so the customer base has expanded).

~ ~ ~

I don't mind retro/futuristic stuff on the catwalk.  It's everywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYzrP2xPuc#

Sometimes it's a hit, and most of the time it's a miss.

But I don't know where they're going with this Star Wars thing.  Is this supposed to appeal the new class of nerdy sexy girls, or what is the point of the marketing?

Sir Henry

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 16, 2015, 03:30:42 AM

I don't mind retro/futuristic stuff on the catwalk.  It's everywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYzrP2xPuc#
Good to see that neck braces will be coming back in fashion this winter - presumably due to the falls caused by wearing those heels on ice.  :D

Also good to see that when they built the set they didn't give the model room to quite get out of shot on the left. Professionalism - who can even spell it these days? ::)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

SeVeNeVeS

I have been noticing more than a few half chewed damsel flies and newts around lately.

Whilst in my kitchen today saw a cat stalking in my garden.

This is enough I thought, grabbed the nearest thing to hand (a 22mm elbow) opened the door and launched it.

Now, I only meant to scare the beast but, not allowing for for piss poor aim, the elbow hit a plant pot, and with a severe ricochet at pace, hit the feline felon straight between the eyes.

It scarpered pretty darn sharpish, I just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

I hate cats at the best of times, but would never want to harm one intentionally.

We shall see in the corpse count over the next few days.  ::)

frances

The best way to get rid of a cat is to throw a cup of water in their direction.  That will get them moving pretty fast.

J. Wilhelm

SeVeNeVeS

Every now and then I am abliged to do a networking meet with local tradesmen, you know, who does what, who has new contracts, who needs what etc etc.......

My WTF is jaheesus it costs a fortune for a round, and damn is there alot of booze involved! I think I will have a hangover for 2 weeks  ::)

Still, made a few contacts with potential future work......... To a darkened room and sleep......

14 pints of lager before 3PM can't be good for any man. WTF, Merry Christmas and could my ashes be cast to sea please...............

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

SeVeNeVeS

Trust me Drew, you would not enjoy what I do for a living.

Constantly looking for another job...............

Drew P

So am I, coincidentally, so am I.....

One mans trash is another's treasure or so they say.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

SeVeNeVeS

This is a kinda continuation of the windows 10 thing.

My Dad upgraded and is having problems.

My WTF is.......... I realised, my brother used to be a head honcho at AMD with more exclusive qaulifications than you could count, married to a lovely woman with a computing degree, who have a daughter also with a degree in computer science or some such, who just happens to be married to an international IT consultant.

Why the frick is it left to a self taught, non computer expert who hits shyte with a hammer for a living to sort out his computer?

Is it me or is something slightly wrong with that there picture? I dunno, sometimes, just sometimes.................Yep, big 'ol WTF there methinks  ::)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on August 29, 2015, 11:56:10 AM
This is a kinda continuation of the windows 10 thing.

My Dad upgraded and is having problems.

My WTF is.......... I realised, my brother used to be a head honcho at AMD with more exclusive qaulifications than you could count, married to a lovely woman with a computing degree, who have a daughter also with a degree in computer science or some such, who just happens to be married to an international IT consultant.

Why the frick is it left to a self taught, non computer expert who hits shyte with a hammer for a living to sort out his computer?

Is it me or is something slightly wrong with that there picture? I dunno, sometimes, just sometimes.................Yep, big 'ol WTF there methinks  ::)

There's an old Mexican expression:  "load the thinnest dog with the heaviest load."

J. Wilhelm

This.  This very much makes me go "WTF?"

West Point military cadets hurt in traditional pillow fight...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34162336

What's next?  30 Marines drowned in "rubber ducky" incident??

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

walking stick

Several of those cadets thought it was fun to put "hard objects such as helmets' in the pillowcases they used.  Not fun, not fair, not a joke.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: walking stick on September 05, 2015, 05:36:48 PM
Several of those cadets thought it was fun to put "hard objects such as helmets' in the pillowcases they used.  Not fun, not fair, not a joke.

Maybe it'll be fun...when kicked in dangly bits several time by steelies?  ;) evil  ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Drew P

Reminds one of a certain scene from a movie.... ::)
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

J. Wilhelm

So, I normally use a shampoo/body wash which smells of citrus. Because I wear long hair (relatively), and my hair is no longer 100% straight, I also use a conditioner - which features apricot oil and some other exotic apricot family seed oil. Which I combine with a hair control gel which smells like pineapple.

Also because I'm no longer so young, yesterday I coloured my hair, and the kit had a post-colouring conditioner which strongly smells like apples...

I can now walk around, confident that my hair smells like a fruit salad  :-\
:D  ;D

Hez

qubehead

There's a Carmen Miranda joke in there somewhere.  ;D

LukeHogbin

And I wondered where this thread disappeared to... Don't have anything to add atm, just posting so that I'll have this in my updates.  :)
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.