News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Things that make you go WTF? MkII

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 15, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

Some time ago I signed up for automatic notifications for when it's time to renew my car licence plates.

It's now a month to my birthday, and I have so far received no fewer than ten emails from ServiceOntario since 8:00 a.m. today.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sir Henry

Quote from: von Corax on March 23, 2024, 05:02:35 PMSome time ago I signed up for automatic notifications for when it's time to renew my car licence plates.

It's now a month to my birthday, and I have so far received no fewer than ten emails from ServiceOntario since 8:00 a.m. today.

I tried that with my road tax (as the UK no longer gives you printed, dated evidence), but instead of the remider I had been promised I just got a final notice two weeks after it was due.  :(
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

SeVeNeVeS

Being at home during the day since I quit my job, I swear to god I am close to thrusting a WW1 bayonet through my neighbours throats.

All they do all day is shout at the kids, ague and it sounds like they cnstantly throw a mixture of pots, pans, scrap metal and the odd piece of cutlery at the dividing wall.

The banging and constant manic screeching from the banshee and her offspring is seriously grating on my nerves.

I have never understood why people decide to have children when all they do is make everyones life a misery, is it peer pressure, social pressure? Dunno but certainly not for me I hate them.

Some respite if they go out but then the dogs get separation anxiety and constantly bark and howl.

Bless headphones and spotify.

SeVeNeVeS

every now and then i ponder on things

Why do members here just lurk and not reply?

* von Corax MOD EDIT: Political comments deleted at the request of the OP

Please delete for being to political.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 02:27:23 PMevery now and then i ponder on things

Why do members here just lurk and not reply?

* von Corax MOD EDIT: Political comments deleted at the request of the OP

Please delete for being to political.

selective editing but I can accept it. At least it issues one point.....and that includes Mods...... the like button is an easy out.

Justin Time

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 02:27:23 PMWhy do members here just lurk and not reply?

Maybe, sometimes, people come here to read and have nothing to contribute?

However, I suspect it is because posting on forums doesn't get the "instant" replies/comments like Twaddle and Nit-Wit and other (anti)social media does.  You can't experience that immediate "rush" if you have to wait days for feedback.

JIT
Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 05:43:32 PMselective editing but I can accept it. At least it issues one point.....and that includes Mods...... the like button is an easy out.

It seemed like a valid question.

SeVeNeVeS

well if you are a member of a Steampunk forum maybe, just maybe you should show some interest in Steampunk projects, veiws and attitudes.

If not interested in a particular topic at least show some appreciation for the endless hours of hard work not to mention the finacial cost the Admin put into keeping this place alive to enable you to lurk and say nothing.

Posting a contraversial topic knowing it would be edited was my attempt to get some responce from the apethetic.

If VC decides f&£$ it what's the piont anymore and pulls the plug, and to be honest I would'nt blame him, we all would be forced screaming to those social media sites that we all hate so much.

There I've said my piece and will not comment any further.

Sir Henry

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I lurk is because I like the inspiration I get from seeing what other people have been making but I'm not currently in a position to make anything to discuss or show off myself. Life is hard for a lot of us at the moment (see several threads on here), but we don't want to lose contact with happier times.

I know myself well enough to realise that if I leave for three or more years it will be hard to rebuild the habit of contributing here. And it is going to take me at least three years of hard physical labour to do all the work needed to make this house liveable. For instance over this winter I have rebuilt the 1100 sq. ft attic: replacing joists, insulating, laying the floor, more insulating, plasterboarding, etc. on my own (a word to the wise: don't take up construction in your 60's, it really is too late to start). It's just so tiring that I don't have the time or brain space to contribute here, despite it being my only social outlet.

So no, it isn't apathy - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. And I'll see you again on the other side, if I survive.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.

Cora Courcelle

Yes, sometimes I'm just too tired to engage my brain; but I do get the point that no posts effectively means no forum, so I will make more effort to show my interest and appreciation 🙂
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Sir Henry

Or we can just leave it to the bots. Today we seem to have gained a couple of rather chatty bots who have filled a good-sized thread of their own making with nothing but compliments to each other on their writing, a situation that would be gloriously, comically absurd if there were no chance they could learn to do better. They will; they must, as they can't get much worse.

Cora Courcelle

I saw that and didn't bother to report it because I thought it was so funny (on a day which hasn't exactly been a barrel of laughs for me).
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

von Corax

Quote from: Sir Henry on April 22, 2024, 02:58:22 PMOr we can just leave it to the bots. Today we seem to have gained a couple of rather chatty bots who have filled a good-sized thread of their own making with nothing but compliments to each other on their writing, a situation that would be gloriously, comically absurd if there were no chance they could learn to do better. They will; they must, as they can't get much worse.

In the Moderators' Lounge we have a sub-board called the Hall of Infamy, for threads that must be taken down but need to be remembered. The aforementioned thread is now firmly ensconced therein.