News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Best Quotations Concerning Tea

Started by J. Penn, September 09, 2015, 04:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Howard

Quote from: Maets on October 12, 2015, 12:21:47 AM
To tea or not to tea, that is the question.

"Blow wind, come wrack.
At least we'll die with tea leaves in a sack."
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

J. Penn

"It was amazing that she was capable of doing something so unwarlike as having a cup of tea.
- from Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

creagmor

Pray forgive the fact that this is not an exact quote, but Eleanor Roosevelt once said something to the effect that a woman is like tea; you never know what they're really like until they're in hot water.

Can't say if this is true or not, but I once read that when early explorers from the west visited China, and wanted to take some tea plants home with them, those clever folk simply substituted camellia bushes. They knew a good thing when they saw it.  
"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things." Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.

Fairley B. Strange

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."

The Seventh Doctor - and the final line of the old series
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

J. Penn

I found the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt: "A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water."

It's a good one! Here's another to think on.

"Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company." - Anonymous

Caledonian

Passion is like a Peatfire

Madasasteamfish

" 'Hancock, my original plan has been scuppered now the special jeeps haven't arrived, I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods, and do you think any of that will be helped by a cup of tea?"
'Wouldn't hurt Sir.'"

(roughly) General Roy Urquhart (as played by Sir Sean Connery) and his ADC in A Bridge Too Far.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Crescat Scientia

"I shouldn't think even millionaires could eat anything nicer than new bread and real butter and honey for tea."  (Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle)
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

"Gentle herb! Let the florid grape yield to thee. Thy soft influence is a more safe inspirer of social joy."  (James Boswell, London Journal, 1762-1763)
-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

"I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea." (Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground)
-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

"Those dripping crumpets, I can see them now. Tiny crisp wedges of toast, and piping-hot, flaky scones. Sandwiches of unknown nature, mysteriously flavoured and quite delectable, and that very special gingerbread. Angel cake, that melted in the mouth, and his rather stodgier companion, bursting with peel and raisins. There was enough food there to keep a starving family for a week."  (Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca)
-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

"Tea's proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot use exercise, and will not use abstinence." (Samuel Johnson, Essay on Tea, 1757)
-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

Crescat Scientia

"We had a kettle; we let it leak:
Our not repairing made it worse.
We haven't had any tea for a week...
The bottom is out of the Universe."
(Rudyard Kipling)
-- Jessica Fortunato

-- Cole Porter

-- Old family saying

J. Penn

These are fantastic quotes, everyone!

"Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage." - Catherine Douzel

Maudlin Hart

"Never turn down tea if it's offered. It's impolite and that's how wars start." -The Eighth Doctor
Ragamuffin

Rose Inverness

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...

J. Penn

"The spirit of the tea beverage is one of peace, comfort, and refinement." - Arthur Gray Content

J. Penn

"Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea." - Sydney Smith, English writer and clergyman, Lady Holland's Memoir

I have to agree--I'm glad I live in a world with tea. ^.^

Hurricane Annie

"A cup of teal and a lie down will do the  world of good."

Hez

Hurricane Annie

"drink the Bell tea and you'll be feeling alive "

from an old Bell tea ad

Never mind the Cogs

There is only one thing better than a cup of tea; a second cup of tea  :)
If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!

James Harrison

Those who say there's nothing like a nice cup of tea for calming the nerves never had real tea. It's like a syringe of adrenaline straight to the heart!

-The Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Fairley B. Strange

A man without a moustache is like a cup of tea without sugar.
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Colonel Hawthorne

A man with a moustache may drink his tea long after the cup is gone.

(I speak from experience ...)
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?