News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Somewhere between Gaaaaah and Things That Make You Happy ...

Started by Cora Courcelle, November 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cora Courcelle

So, the high winds a few nights ago blew the end ridge tile off the roof, tremendous crash, really made me jump; have had to get it fixed before the rain got into the loft. Gaaaaaah.  BUT the tile smashed onto the drive literally a few inches from the bonnet of our little convertible and all the pieces of it missed the car. Definitely happy about that.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Rose Inverness

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...

Banfili

Bit like a loss, a reluctant draw and a win - I am focussing on the win!

Cora Courcelle

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Alexis Voltaire

We're supposed to be going back to working 12 hour shifts five days a week at work. The money is nice but the soul-sucking nature of having barely enough time to feed and clothe one's self for five days a week is... ugh.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

Banfili

Glass full person, me - especially when the glass has Bailey's in it!

rovingjack

http://ugearsmodels.com/

I know I could probably make things like this for myself, this would be easier, but more expensive, but on top of it all I've no space for any of it. Sigh, they are pretty to windows shop... or mac OS shop if you have that kind of computer.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Crescat Scientia

Quote from: rovingjack on December 09, 2015, 09:19:30 AM

I know I could probably make things like this for myself, this would be easier, but more expensive, but on top of it all I've no space for any of it. Sigh, they are pretty to windows shop... or mac OS shop if you have that kind of computer.

That was probably interesting, whatever it was.  But when my ipad gave a blank screen for a while, then eventually coughed up the unpromising graphic "20%", I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

Overly complex, fussy, memory-intensive websites.  There's something between Gahhh and happiness.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Crescat Scientia on December 09, 2015, 01:11:43 PM
Quote from: rovingjack on December 09, 2015, 09:19:30 AM

That was probably interesting, whatever it was.  But when my ipad gave a blank screen for a while, then eventually coughed up the unpromising graphic "20%", I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

Overly complex, fussy, memory-intensive websites.  There's something between Gahhh and happiness.

Same for Android tablets.  There's something odd about that website.  Let's see how my desktop PC handles it,  though I suspect I need a RAM upgrade to see the website  ;D

Crescat Scientia

Quote from: rovingjack on December 09, 2015, 07:15:08 PM

they wind up and work.

Thank you.  And wow.

Are these kits?  They look like kits.

Someone I know wound up a Kickstarter recently for little lasercut Steampunk buildings, vehicles, and gizmos scaled for tabletop roleplaying games.  Some of them had turning gears and moving parts, but nothing this elaborate.
Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

rovingjack

yep, working kits, the trains and trollies wind up and roll a little distance. The time keeper winds up and runs for a bout 20 mins, and the business card holder folds itself away and tucks under the crack gears. The safe is my favorite. it's a real working safe with combo lock... though being made of slotted together wood, makes one question how 'safe' anything would be in it. They have a mechanical 'puppet show' theatre one which is scenes made with wheels that have things that are along the edges as mechanisms turn, and there looks like a piston of some kind or other.

MWBailey

Quote from: Banfili on December 07, 2015, 11:45:53 AM
Glass full person, me - especially when the glass has Bailey's in it!

Say WHAT??!

Oh, OK, sorry about that...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Hez

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on November 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM
So, the high winds a few nights ago blew the end ridge tile off the roof, tremendous crash, really made me jump; have had to get it fixed before the rain got into the loft. Gaaaaaah.  BUT the tile smashed onto the drive literally a few inches from the bonnet of our little convertible and all the pieces of it missed the car. Definitely happy about that.

Glad it missed, tell it not to try again.

Quote from: Alexis Voltaire on December 07, 2015, 01:04:57 AM
We're supposed to be going back to working 12 hour shifts five days a week at work. The money is nice but the soul-sucking nature of having barely enough time to feed and clothe one's self for five days a week is... ugh.

That sounds exhausting, is it a permanent change?

Quote from: rovingjack on December 09, 2015, 07:15:08 PM

they wind up and work.
Those are Gorgeous!

Banfili

Alexis Voltaire

I just threw some money at a slightly sketchy-looking Chinese tailor site because they have a jacket/coat I really like and can't find elsewhere or be arsed to make myself. Really hoping something nice comes in return :)

Quote from: Hez on December 10, 2015, 07:29:41 AM
Quote from: Alexis Voltaire on December 07, 2015, 01:04:57 AM

That sounds exhausting, is it a permanent change?

Fortunately not. The hours where I work are normally stable, but subject to sudden change without notice, (I had 2 weeks of 4-day weekends last month) so I try to get every bit of overtime (within reason) that I can.

Madasasteamfish

One of my colleagues found what they thought was a furniture beetle (adult woodworm) at work today. After quite a bit of hooing and haing a consensus was reached that it another type of beetle which had come in looking for warmth and so we didn't need to worry about it.

It may not sound serious, but I work in a historic property where I'm responsible for 'pest management' (which in layman's terms means I'm the person who has to keep an eye out for dangerous creepy crawlies).
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Clym Angus

And you are a mod here. The similarities are some what striking..... :D

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Clym Angus on December 17, 2015, 05:17:49 PM
And you are a mod here. The similarities are some what striking..... :D

You know, I never thought of it that way before... I guess there are several similarities, I help keep the place tidy, I care for the fabric of the forum and deal with damage causing pests (Although at work I'm not allowed I don't deal with the pests using a big hammer).

Maybe I should change my title from mod to 'forum conservationist'.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Thylacinus

I was happily working away on my first steampunk costume, a 1912-ish dress in blue stretch velvet inspired by the 1914 fashion plate that is my avatar. However I'm not all that plugged into pop culture and was Titanically clueless about the blue velvet dress worn by Kate Winslet in the "flying" scene in the Titanic movie. Uh-oh.

I was also quite happy to learn that some Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau fabric patterns I thought I couldn't possibly afford come in affordable quilting fabrics. However I managed to rein in my enthusiasm when I realized that a lot of them (such as William Morris prints) were used for home decor rather than apparel. I hope I've averted a second sartorial disaster and will not go out dressed as wallpaper or a piece of upholstery.

Alexis Voltaire

Quote from: Alexis Voltaire on December 17, 2015, 11:49:19 AM
I just threw some money at a slightly sketchy-looking Chinese tailor site because they have a jacket/coat I really like and can't find elsewhere or be arsed to make myself. Really hoping something nice comes in return :)

This actually showed up today! Super pleased with it. :)

Madasasteamfish

One of my colleagues is off sick at the moment and so in order to cover for them my boss asked me to move my days off from sunday and monday to saturday and sunday, so my weekend starts a day early woo!

The gah? This means that I'll be working a 6 day week next week.

Cora Courcelle

Gaaah I have just spent over an hour unpicking the shoulder and side seams of a jacket I am making in order to make it fit properly.  Gaaaah indeed, as I have used this pattern numerous times before and never had any problems with fit.  I am now happy because it looks much better - and as a potential extra happy, does this mean the diet is working?

Clym Angus

Ooooo shoulder seams. I feel your pain. I hate shoulder seams. One other thing I hate is some TV Idiot putting watership down on over easter. I can trace most of my psychosis back to that sodding film. It decimates the young psyche. That film is psychic hemlock. Wrapping an adult phylosophical metaphor within a kids cartoon? Well, It made me and I fear it has wrought more destruction than creation by its birth.