News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Somewhere between Gaaaaah and Things That Make You Happy ...

Started by Cora Courcelle, November 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frances

I agree with you Clym.  When I read it as an adult I thought that it was most upsetting.  But then, luckily, I do no have a telly.  So I did not watch it.

Clym Angus

Cora Courcelle

I heard someone on the radio saying that if the movie was applying for a rating now it would never get a U and would probably be a 15.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Inflatable Friend

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on April 03, 2016, 01:05:06 PM
I heard someone on the radio saying that if the movie was applying for a rating now it would never get a U and would probably be a 15.

I'm not so sure about that, considering the vast differences between what the PG's of my youth passed off compared to the PG's of today. If it didn't make U it'd certainly be PG.

Clym Angus

Hey it was the late 70's ripping the innocence away from children in one swift stroke was all the rage. ???

Cora Courcelle

Gaaaaah - Husband crashed and wrote off the van at the beginning of the week.
Happy - He's fine (very, VERY happy).
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Clym Angus

I intended to spend today stripping a Victorian staircase. So naturally I was looking for any excuse to avoid stripping 100+ years of "freshening up" from a workers cottage. For the majority of it's life this staircase had a mid-runner carpet. So the occupants (being studiously money minded) painted the sides only. As you can appreciate there is a significant deficit between the paint on the sides and the bare wood in the middle. Also the early layer have a lead payload. So I went out the back to check on the potatos. That's when I noticed my next door neighbours cold water cistern outlet was pissing water. She's an older widow and my inner gent will not let me "walk on by". It takes me 6 hours but I gut that cistern and inform it in no uncertain terms that it's not to f**k with the finances of a little old lady. Still good deed done the stairs are still looking at me. Hmmm.  I fear I will leave this world with much still to do....

Banfili

rovingjack

sitting on the couch, with the housemate, he turns to look in the kitchen and says "Mouse. Mouse! Mouse!" yet didn't move or get all squidgy about it. lol :D

but the little fuzzy thing hasn't seemed the least bit phased by humans chasing it. It just comes right back. does a few laps in the kitchen between threatening lumberings before giving up for the night. but the next night it's back again.

So I mention we can set traps, we go back to acting like nothing happened... and a half hour later he sees it again. "Maybe it's a mother looking for food for it's babies."

Dude seriously, shut up. Unless you want to be the killer and disposer of the dead, don't construct a narrative for the plague carrier that makes it a struggling mother in need, whose children starve to death without her. and for cogs sake don't name it.

least I don't have to try to be more discrete about it. set a few traps in spots we see it. check them daily.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Mercury Wells

"Rescued" a child's soft toy from my street  :). Cried 'cos the child is missing her/his favourate friend & confidant, plus the toy is no doubt lonely.  :'(
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

J. Wilhelm

Wagnerian level thunderstorms over Austin.  One one hand the light show is truly spectacular (a roommate of mine once had told me he had never seen lightning storms like this before).  Unfortunately the electrical storms are usually associated with rain of Biblical proportions.

Banfili

I think you got your rain, J. Wilhelm - if the news reports are true!
Have some biblical proportion rain heading our way too. If the weather radar is right we will get it from the north-east and the west!

Lots of flooding all over this year - are we being told something???

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on June 05, 2016, 12:59:23 AM
I think you got your rain, J. Wilhelm - if the news reports are true!
Have some biblical proportion rain heading our way too. If the weather radar is right we will get it from the north-east and the west!

Lots of flooding all over this year - are we being told something???

Yep. I got seriously soaked just walking from the bus stop. I think I saw a Valkyrie on my way home!

We are being told to stop polluting or else!

Banfili

Yes, I think so!

It is raining here now. Started Friday night and is still going. I checked my rain gauge a bit ago and it was nearly an inch already.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on June 05, 2016, 05:24:54 AM
Yes, I think so!

It is raining here now. Started Friday night and is still going. I checked my rain gauge a bit ago and it was nearly an inch already.

Perhaps we should call all Steampunks to help build an ark.

walking stick

Probably a fleet of Zeppelins, each with an ark as its Gondola.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: walking stick on June 05, 2016, 08:11:36 AM

But...how many animals of each species, would you need to sustain a viable population (no inbreeding) though?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

morozow

I'm with my woman now travels. We are in Tbilisi. It is the capital of Georgia, a small mountainous country. Previously, she was part of the USSR.

Here, too, it rains :) But I'm not about that.

There are very many people speak Russian. It is certainly very convenient and good.
But when I was in Paris and I was approached by beggars, I openly looked them in the eye and said: Я Вас не понимаю. Простите я только на руссом говорю. Нет, не понимаю, простите.  After that, our communication ended.
And then this joke is not :)
Perhaps I'm a tourist from Germany (for example the musicians from Bremen) , and I can of Estonia?
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: walking stick on June 05, 2016, 08:11:36 AM

Could you power them with methane, as you'd be producing that in at least some of the gondolas?

Athanor

My stepson lives, works and owns property in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The recent huge forest fire destroyed a big swathe of the town and forced everyone except emergency workers to evacuate. He wasn't in town when the fire struck, but he had no way of knowing whether his house, and most of his worldly possessions, had survived or been reduced to ash. Many buildings that didn't get burned were rendered uninhabitable by severe smoke damage.

He, and we, were relieved to hear that his house was undamaged.

And now, a big chunk of the town has been declared a disaster area because of flooding!!

Fire and water; what's next? Earth and air? Earthquake and hurricane? Not too likely, far from any major faults and well inland, but still.......

Athanor.
Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.

J. Wilhelm

Not as serious as Mr. Athanor's post above.

My Yey! + Gah! moment right now is that I purchased an expensive beef steak (loin), to prepare on the grill, the way I remembered my grandfather doing over 35 years ago.  I just had that craving, so I splurged.

Now the thing is that a co-worker gave me a plate of "Mexican" stir fry to take home, mostly grilled beef, mixed with a little rice and some shrimp. Unusual combination, but this lady knows how to cook, as I've had her food before.

I just couldn't say no.  I took the plastic container happily home.  As I got home, my roomate baked a pizza, of which he ate 2/3 of it. Guess who was chose to consume the rest. Wisely I only chomped on one slice and I saved the last two slices for lunch tomorrow.

So my yey? Around 11pm I got to prove to myself that I can still grill a steak that is head and shoulders above any other I have ever had in any restaurant or cooked by friends, and I still have 1/2 of it for tomorrow's lunch.  The memories made me happy... it tastes exactly how I remember it when I was a kid.

The gah?  I have eaten so much!!! Even eating only half the steak and one slice of pizza, I still had 1/2 of my co-worker's stir fry (about two large tacos full of the stuff). I'm about to explode and it's 1:00 AM!!  :( By Jove and may Zarquon have mercy on me! What have I done? Meat-pocalypse!

Luckily I don't go to work until 2 pm tomorrow, but does anyone have any recommendations that don't involve putting the finger down my throat like the Romans did?  :-\ :P

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Drew P on June 28, 2016, 11:18:55 AM
Yeah, shut yer mouth. ::)
;)
:D
Actually, my stomach handled it brilliantly in the next two hours. :o  I just drank a bit of mineral water. Not even heartburn.  ;D  I attribute that to the quality of the meat.  I finished off the other half today at lunch. At $9/lb the price is a bit steep , so I won't be eating this on a daily basis, but dear Lord, was that meat good! Downside is, now I'm going to be craving that taste and quality.  And I can't afford to spend cash like that.

I will buy another piece like that for the 4th of July, though  ;D

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 28, 2016, 11:43:24 PM
Quote from: Drew P on June 28, 2016, 11:18:55 AM
Yeah, shut yer mouth. ::)
;)
:D

Actually, my stomach handled it brilliantly in the next two hours. :o  I just drank a bit of mineral water. Not even heartburn.  ;D  I attribute that to the quality of the meat.  I finished off the other half today at lunch. At $9/lb the price is a bit steep , so I won't be eating this on a daily basis, but dear Lord, was that meat good! Downside is, now I'm going to be craving that taste and quality.  And I can't afford to spend cash like that.

I will buy another piece like that for the 4th of July, though,  and I will, however, reject any pizzas or unconsumed lunches that come my way. I shall only accept free beer.   ;D

Banfili

J.Wilhelm, would you like some of my homemade chicken and vegetable soup? Might have a problem getting it to you, though! I made the equivalent of close to four pints on Sunday, and it is all gone now as I finished the last couple of ounces off for brunch this morning. Visitors can empty a soup pot faster than lightening!