News:

The Great Migration is complete! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Somewhere between Gaaaaah and Things That Make You Happy ...

Started by Cora Courcelle, November 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

It's good to have a new supermarket closer to downtown.  But why does it need to be so large that it looks like a shopping mall?  A new multi story supermarket just opened in the old Victorian Era neighborhood of Austin. It features several restaurants in the lower floor, but you need to go to the second floor to actually shop for groceries.

https://youtu.be/yw3Fy7otO0o

People from all over town came to see the new behemoth. Reminded me of the time the first McDonald's opened in Mexico City in the early 80s...  It's like people have never been to a supermarket, they're even taking pictures! I knew it'd be a good idea to stay away from it until the hysteria dies down.

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 18, 2023, 02:58:13 AM
It's good to have a new supermarket closer to downtown.  But why does it need to be so large that it looks like a shopping mall?  A new multi story supermarket just opened in the old Victorian Era neighborhood of Austin. It features several restaurants in the lower floor, but you need to go to the second floor to actually shop for groceries.

https://youtu.be/yw3Fy7otO0o

People from all over town came to see the new behemoth. Reminded me of the time the first McDonald's opened in Mexico City in the early 80s...  It's like people have never been to a supermarket, they're even taking pictures! I knew it'd be a good idea to stay away from it until the hysteria dies down.

I betcha they'll still be out of the one thing you absolutely need for tonight's dinner recipe...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sir Henry

Quote from: von Corax on February 18, 2023, 03:45:06 AM

I betcha they'll still be out of the one thing you absolutely need for tonight's dinner recipe...
Toilet paper?
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 18, 2023, 02:58:13 AM

*Snip*

I may find out today. I cook for the week on Sunday. I need to get the week's groceries after work... Though I'm not crazy about carrying food all the way back to where I live... Also I can't get over the fact that making people climb to a second story is the dumbest design choice for a supermarket. Why not place the shelves on the lower floor where people can get in and out of the market quickly, and let the restaurants and specialty businesses be upstairs?

*pondering*

You know what? On second thought, I might not go. Something WILL be missing because it's a Saturday, and I don't care how big it is, it's guaranteed to be saturated with people.They will run out of something really basic, and I won't make two trips in one day.  Maybe next week I'll go.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Sir Henry on February 18, 2023, 09:19:43 AM

Toilet paper?

There's a 99.9% probability that management has underestimated the amount of toilet paper for that neighborhood.

Madasasteamfish

The "gaahhh!": I got rejected from my 4th job interview in as many weeks.

The "Yaayy!" I've just got off the phone with the interviewer about feedback and they've more or less said I was the 2nd/3rd choice, and I got a similar comment in the feedback from another, so I'm obviously doing something right...
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Banfili

Just want to let everyone know that I haven't abandoned them! Having such dreadful problems with my ISP and the Internet service I'm just about ready to tear THEIR hair out!! I'll be working on getting all this stuff sorted in the next couple of weeks, and be back to normal! Its more of a Gaaah than things that make you happy - the happiness comes with the knowledge that I will soon have better internet!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on March 10, 2023, 10:31:53 AM
Just want to let everyone know that I haven't abandoned them! Having such dreadful problems with my ISP and the Internet service I'm just about ready to tear THEIR hair out!! I'll be working on getting all this stuff sorted in the next couple of weeks, and be back to normal! Its more of a Gaaah than things that make you happy - the happiness comes with the knowledge that I will soon have better internet!

Never doubted that you'd get back to us. Be it Internet or smoke signals. Which gives me an idea. What do we do when the inevitable zombie apocalypse happens, or Elon Musk decides to buy the whole Internet? Maybe we should have like an official ham radio station for Brassgoggles.

J. Wilhelm

Good news: I'm enjoying my break from work, and I heard the shortwave radio I ordered has arrived at the postal annex business.

Bad News: COVID destroyed my vocal chords, with 120 grit sandpaper, apparently. This is my third day of symptoms, and I can't go pickup that package due to isolation.  :-\

Synistor 303

Quote from: Banfili on March 10, 2023, 10:31:53 AM

Great to see you back - was wondering what happened to you. May the internet come back to you soon!

Sorontar

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on March 10, 2023, 09:04:18 PM
Good news: I'm enjoying my break from work, and I heard the shortwave radio I ordered has arrived at the postal annex business.

Bad News: COVID destroyed my vocal chords, with 120 grit sandpaper, apparently. This is my third day of symptoms, and I can't go pickup that package due to isolation.  :-\

Start planning a steam powered automaton that will do the pickup on your behalf. It is not a silly as it sounds. I was once on a robot project, designing the human interface. All the instructions were based on getting it to get cups/mugs for us. You see, we had an internal window that looked down on the cafe in the entrance foyer. It was a bit of a walk, but if the robot was available... . Unfortunately, that aspect of the robot never became tangible.

Sorontar 
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

von Corax

The Gaah: working nine-hour shifts on a regular basis.

The happy: getting paid for working nine-hour shifts on a regular basis.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Sorontar on March 11, 2023, 07:24:19 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on March 10, 2023, 09:04:18 PM

Start planning a steam powered automaton that will do the pickup on your behalf. It is not a silly as it sounds. I was once on a robot project, designing the human interface. All the instructions were based on getting it to get cups/mugs for us. You see, we had an internal window that looked down on the cafe in the entrance foyer. It was a bit of a walk, but if the robot was available... . Unfortunately, that aspect of the robot never became tangible.

Sorontar

We do have those "delivery" automated baskets delivering food and groceries Downtown. They transit the sidewalks (UK: pavement) unsupervised, and some transit the streets (I imagine for research purposes) supervised by someone driving a vehicle behind it. It's funny to see the kinds of problems they encounter.  As construction accelerated Downtown, I seen the number of those tests go down. They simply can't negotiate detours and unscheduled stops to allow heavy equipment to reach whichever job site, let alone car and pedestrian accidents or crazy people in the streets.

rovingjack

Me at 4pm: getting my covid booster.
me at 8pm: it feels cold tonight, why does it feel so cold tonight? the thermostat says it's 65 in here. why does it feel colder than that?
me at 10pm: Mmm ben and jerrys Phish Food, for the first time in 25 years.
me at 12pm: why am I uncontrollably shivering.

::)
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Synistor 303

Quote from: rovingjack on May 05, 2023, 05:44:47 AM
Me at 4pm: getting my covid booster.
me at 8pm: it feels cold tonight, why does it feel so cold tonight? the thermostat says it's 65 in here. why does it feel colder than that?
me at 10pm: Mmm ben and jerrys Phish Food, for the first time in 25 years.
me at 12pm: why am I uncontrollably shivering.

::)

Take a couple of paracetamol.

rovingjack

shortly after that every muscle in my body seemed dead set on being clenched so hard I was shaking, felt like my muscles were trying to rip themselves from my bones. and then I started spiking a fever that felt like I was in a dry sauna. I took an extra strength Acetaminophen before bed. it helped cut the pain and shaking, might have kept the fever down a little, but I got crappy sleep again. had a crushing headache and my skin felt like it was glowing hot most of the night.

right now it feels like i fell and clonked my head, and I feel like i over worked out at a gym yesterday.

but a least I got this out of the way and am up to date of my shots.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

rovingjack

shakes came back that night, only much less severe, and only slightly warm that night. woke up damp in bed. got cleaned up and had some game time with a friend and his 8yr old son. continue to get poor sleep and I hope it both resolves and we get some answers from a couple of my medical appointments in the next couple months.

The Bullet

Next project finished:
another bird box.

The old one was pretty worn after all these years outside.
As it was always used by blue tits I wanted siomething else now, so I biult a box for starlings.
Staling box (German Starenkasten) is a pun as this word is used for small box-shaped radar traps...

As starlings sometimed breed twice a year I might have some still this year.

Wait and see.

If someone moves in I will give the new link.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

SeVeNeVeS

It's been a difficult couple of months for me.
I decided to employ a house clearance man to empty my Mums house.
I was born in the front bedroom, so has far too many memories, four peoples lives almost 60 years worth.
The contents have gone to charity and landfill all that is left is a barren empty carcass of a once happy family home.
More than slightly sad but at the same time glad it's done and now feel I can move on although the 3.5K bill is still hurting a little.
Life goes on and all that...........

With any luck I will be in the mood to resume some projects again  :)

rovingjack

last night was watching something to relax before going to bed early for a morning appointment and smiling about something I was watching set off facial spasms. well that messed up me ability to relax and sleep.
took a sleeping pill. woke up to call and confirm my appointment for the car. got a confirmation for later than expected, managed to go back to sleep for a bit.
got up and ate breakfast, washed my dishes and then stood in the kitchen wondering where that ticking noise is coming from, and having a sudden suspiscion, looked under the kitchen sink... yup, sink drain dripping under the cupboards.
don't have time for this need to get ready. get something to read and a snake for a long wait get out to the car... and the landlord has me blocked in with disassembling stuff on the driveway despite me telling him all week that I have this appointment today. I drive over the lawn and out.

The appointment: mid june I was in for medical procedures and after recovering from that, I went to set up my car inspection for my birth month, June. The earliest day it could be done by anyone was july 10th. 2.5 weeks out. and also the last day it was legal to drive on the existing registration and inspection... fastforward to july 10th and I'm walking around the stores in the area for 2 hours for the inspection. and when I come back and wait longer they eventually tell me my car failed inspection and needs $2200 worth of work and further diagnostics which would likely 'find' additional things they need to charge me for. one of which is the low tire pressure light they say they need to diagnose the tire pressure sensors for $100+, I immediately tell them no and demand my car back. They didn't check to see if the tire was low on pressure, because I know the back right tire runs low on pressure after long drives, it likely needs a valve replaced, but a simple $2 would solve that for a month and at the same time confirm air pressure had been low like the dash light indicated.

best appointment I could secure with somebody else was july 24th. so between the 10th and today I can't legally drive my car. But at least I'm dealing with a mom and pop garage and not a brand name chain garage. they cand tell me what the real issues are and do them for a minimal mark up. Maybe something like 300-1000.

So I get there early, they take it in early. and I debate the mile walk to the library, but decide to wait half an hour to see if they will ask me if they should do whatever repair they need. 20 minutes after I brought it in, he pulls up in front of me and says he replaced a plate light for me... I asked him what we'll need to do. He informs me it passed inspection once he replaced the light on the plates. I asked about the other issues that the big name had failed it for, he said everything looks good, their is some rust break down of the flange on the exhaust like all this model tend to get, but it's not leaking now and we can figure out a time in the future to cut the flange out and weld in a bit of new pipe easily and cheaply, but for now everything looks pretty good. so I paid for an inspection and plate light. and my car is street legal again.

and I can't decide between being happy with the passing inspection and these guys seeming like a dependable garage that I can now go to for my needs, and absolutely livid that I was stuck not being able to leave the house/slum for two weeks because a sleazy chain garage held my cars road legality hostage for $2200 of  :-X made up failures to use me to pay for their franchises electric bills or whatever. absolutely F those guys, they should have their inspection certification revoked.

here's the messed up bit, I'm the 4th person to come to the new garage after dealing with this particular garage franchise branch. One was there this morning for a starter on a honda he was charged over 1000 for that shouldn't have cost half that even if they'd done it right, which they hadn't. I'm so F-ing mad.

but I'm happy that I can now go to the store in my car to get parts for fixing the dripping drain in the kitchen. I can get groceries.

SeVeNeVeS

After of 30 years working with the most belligerent, truculent, arrogant, self opinionated, racist twat i have ever had the displeasure to meet, we had an arguement this morning and I quit my job.
Double edged sward that one........ relief to get away but no money coming in.

Sir Henry

Well done. Time to relax for a bit before starting the hunt for a less abrasive job.

Remember - the sun always shines brighter on the moral high ground!  ;D
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Cora Courcelle

And the satisfaction of never having to see him again will help too.
Wishing you successful job hunting.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

The Bullet

You will find something.
Fingers crossed.
Think about the benefit for your mental health, having left the old job.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on October 04, 2023, 03:08:56 PMAfter of 30 years working with the most belligerent, truculent, arrogant, self opinionated, racist twat i have ever had the displeasure to meet, we had an arguement this morning and I quit my job.
Double edged sward that one........ relief to get away but no money coming in.

Good riddance. Sometimes it happens like that. You can't keep tolerating difficult behavior forever. And usually these types of people get worse with time, not better, so they become insufferable.

The next job will be better.