News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Somewhere between Gaaaaah and Things That Make You Happy ...

Started by Cora Courcelle, November 21, 2015, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Time

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on October 04, 2023, 03:08:56 PMAfter of 30 years working with the most belligerent, truculent, arrogant, self opinionated, racist twat i have ever had the displeasure to meet, we had an arguement this morning and I quit my job.

Good for you!  Fingers crossed that you bounce back quickly.

I had a similar pleasure when the bank I worked for was bought out.  The new owners told my entire department "we don't want any of you".  Except that they wanted me to stay for three extra months and correct all of the things that go wrong during a system conversion.  No severance package after 11 years, no "pretty please" just "You should feel lucky to get the extra three months pay".  So I said "You said you didn't want me, so you don't get me" made a digital gesture (you can speculate on what ;) ) and said "Sit and spin" and walked.

Most satisfying.

JIT

Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sorontar

Congratulations! My sympathies and jubilation. I hope it ends up being a wonderful place, regardless of the stress to get it now, and until settlement.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on October 19, 2023, 01:12:20 AMI just bought a house.

Bravo!  I don't know how you did it, but congratulations.  I, on the other hand keep dreaming of just being able to afford rent in this city. Don't be surprised if I tell you I have to move out of Austin soon to a small town.

I've also been dreaming about getting on an RV permanently maybe even a large RV van). Mobility would be guaranteed.

rovingjack

Quote from: von Corax on October 19, 2023, 01:12:20 AMI just bought a house.
glory to your new domicile.

my happy gah, is I went to a gathering of 40 people, and brought some food to share. Special gluten free, peanut free. One thing I made was Dumpling burgers. with a pack of gluten free buns I bought the day before, two of the buns turned out to be moldy despite their best by date is december 1st.

ended up talking with somebody who developed ocular migraines recently after a rough round of Covid in the last couple years... and he said unprompted that the middle and ring finger on his left hand are spastic ... it's not in my F-ing head, somebodyelse with other health parallels to mine recently is also experiencing the same thing.

don't know if I would rather it was just me, in my head that a stint on meds and therapy could resolve... or not be alone, and know it's not in my mind. But still not knowing what's happening and if it will resolve or get worse or if this is just the new normal.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

von Corax

By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sir Henry

Hopefully this is a big relief; in my experience with house-buying, the faster the better. If only in terms of the nervous stress.

Also, it should make Christmas more like a holiday.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Sorontar

Hope that is to your advantage. We had two weeks between settlements last time we moved, so we arranged a 2 week rent with the new owner of our old property.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Rockula

My new car... well my new 2nd hand car...is part of a safety recall and needs a new part fitted.

Luckily it will be done free of charge.

Unluckily it'll take three hours and the nearest place that can do it is an hour's drive away.

Looks like I'll be hanging about near the garage for those three hours
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Cora Courcelle

Tell them you want a courtesy car while the work is being done.
Yes, this can work, although not every time, but it's always worth a try. If it does at least you can go somewhere for a snack instead of relying on garage coffee.
And you're no worse off if it doesn't  ;).
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

The Bullet

Our workshop even offers pickup and delivery at no charge.

I once drove to work, had the car picked up from there and delivered back after the work was done.
Just ask what they offer.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

LukeHogbin

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on November 01, 2023, 08:02:31 PMTell them you want a courtesy car while the work is being done.
Yes, this can work, although not every time, but it's always worth a try. If it does at least you can go somewhere for a snack instead of relying on garage coffee.
And you're no worse off if it doesn't  ;).

In my country, licensed dealerships are *legally required* to provide a courtesy car in such cases.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

rovingjack

Someone from my abortive trip to NYC offered to send me a goody bag from the event on october 15th. It was really nice of them to do that...

A friend asked me to meet up with them for arty activities, and it's really nice to have friends invite me to do activities.

Another couple of friends said they we should get together at a game store for some games on nov 1st. It's nice to have friends to play games with.

I'd gotten no package by holloween. the person said they were visiting family and would send it out on the 6th. Oh, okay, hope the family visit was fun, no worries, just let me know when to look for it. I appreciate the effort.

Arty friend is sick that week, art postponed. Hope you feel better, let me know if you need anything, here's a fun arty prompt generator to play with in the mean time.

Gaming friends have to bow out, they have to rebudget so they aren't spending money going out to places. That's okay, moneys tight all around, so I get it. I've got a collection of games to rival a convention game library, so if you ever want a game night either at your or my place just let me know.

it's now 3 weeks later. No package, no indication it was ever sent. No Arty get together. No game night.

Am I just not getting the hint, or am I supposed to know when it's appropriate to nag about the package so I don't go to the post office every few days and find no package delivery slip, and then ask if any packages have come, but no slip was put in my box yet... or know when to write off gamer friends and just find other people to play games with... or other arty friends.

what's the etiquette for this stuff. and more importantly, why do I keep getting my hopes up on empty promises to just end up sitting alone. I don't mind being by myself. I just think it's needlessly cruel to make plans or offer something and not only back out but essentially not withdraw the intent but also never get another try at it either. and people wonder why I don't accept invites or offers from friends.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

rovingjack

Quote from: rovingjack on November 23, 2023, 11:58:03 PMSomeone from my abortive trip to NYC offered to send me a goody bag from the event on october 15th...

A friend asked me to meet up with them for arty activities...

...friends said that we should get together ... for some games on nov 1st...

I'd gotten no package by holloween...

Arty friend is sick that week, art postponed...

Gaming friends have to bow out, ...
it's now 3 weeks later. No package, no indication it was ever sent. No Arty get together. No game night...

arty time has not happened, game friend is moving outta state, another friend has not even responded to texts since late Nov. and the package sender has apologized and said they'd send it the first week of december... it's not arrived yet, I'll bet it was never sent.

is it me? or do I just need to find better friends.

SeVeNeVeS

mk

J. Wilhelm

Good news: My credit score has been wiped out from including all bankruptcies and effects thereof. Because I've done nothing other than paying gobs of money for school loans and rent for the past 10 years, my credit score shot through the roof. I now have excellent credit.

Good news: because of my rent increases, I now am well adjusted to spending enough money per month to lease my own flat in the area. Just in time when my current landlord is ending the contract to sell the house and go vacation in Costa Rica ( while of one of his parents is sick with cancer, don't get me started on that one).

Bad news: I don't earn enough money to qualify renting my own flat. I only earn 2x the rent money needed in my area. Most renters want 3x for a single bedroom dwelling. They relax that rule for 2 bedroom shared flats.

Good news: I've found a shared flat I can lease.

Bad news: the roommate is the college age kid of the landlady. So I only get a 6 month lease contract.

Good news: She's open to me renewing the contract in July, and up until the son graduates next year.

Bad news: but only if I get along well with the kid.

:-\

*Bangs head on desk*

Just f#$* humanity already! Push the button!!!

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on January 19, 2024, 01:30:53 AMGood news: My credit score has been wiped out from including all bankruptcies and effects thereof. Because I've done nothing other than paying gobs of money for school loans and rent for the past 10 years, my credit score shot through the roof. I now have excellent credit.

Good news: because of my rent increases, I now am well adjusted to spending enough money per month to lease my own flat in the area. Just in time when my current landlord is ending the contract to sell the house and go vacation in Costa Rica ( while of one of his parents is sick with cancer, don't get me started on that one).

Bad news: I don't earn enough money to qualify renting my own flat. I only earn 2x the rent money needed in my area. Most renters want 3x for a single bedroom dwelling. They relax that rule for 2 bedroom shared flats.

Bad news: the roommate is the college age kid of the landlady. So I only get a 6 month lease contract.

Good news: She's open to me renewing the contract in July, and up until the son graduates next year.

*Bangs head on desk*

As one of natures good guys and what seems a natural Survivor you will overcome my friend, although I must say 6 months agreement doesnt exactly make one feel "I found a new home" and be able to unpack and settle in.

Best of luck with your dwelling quest mate.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on January 19, 2024, 07:10:48 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on January 19, 2024, 01:30:53 AMGood news: My credit score has been wiped out from including all bankruptcies and effects thereof. Because I've done nothing other than paying gobs of money for school loans and rent for the past 10 years, my credit score shot through the roof. I now have excellent credit.

*Bangs head on desk*

As one of natures good guys and what seems a natural Survivor you will overcome my friend, although I must say 6 months agreement doesnt exactly make one feel "I found a new home" and be able to unpack and settle in.

Best of luck with your dwelling quest mate.

Well, the only reason I'm not panicking, is because she only laid a condition. She didn't say she'd close the contract forever in July. At least I have a chance, but because I can't depend on it, all my time will be devoted to finding another roommate, I'm afraid.

The only thing that could help is finding another job with that yields 150 % of my current salary, and then I move on my own and send everyone else to go fly a kite, proverbially. Not impossible, but not easy either. It's like the new landlady didn't hear a thing when I told her I'd need a 1 year period minimum to get the business started again.

Awesome when nobody gives a that's tail about you.

C'est la vie.
(Just push the button already!!).

Cora Courcelle

Hopefully you'll get on with the roommate and with the landlady as a knock-on effect.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 23, 2024, 09:08:43 PMHopefully you'll get on with the roommate and with the landlady as a knock-on effect.

Thank you Dear Cora.  Indeed, I have no option.  I've never had a problem getting along with a stranger, and I'm not predicting this will be any different.  The problem is that as I get older it becomes more difficult to find roommates.

Oddly, I also rejected another roommate situation in a more convenient location (literally 10 minutes away from work on foot and 10 minutes to the supermarket and post office in the opposite direction. Ideal, really, but the roommate was over 90 years of age and he's frequently in the hospital. 

The fairly large 3 bedroom apartment I rejected is shared with someone else, but the interior of the apartment looks like the entire Victorian house of the Addams Family was packed into the flat.  It's extremely cluttered - not dirty, mind you - but I'd say impossible to clean due to the excess number of furniture pieces inside.  A real fire hazard, I'd say, and on top of that next to a creek which is the source of many vermin in Texas' semi tropical climate.

I used to live right next door from that flat complex for many years, and the last time I was there around 2012, I killed 2 rats, 1 mouse, myriad German Cockroaches (miniature size), as well as medium, and giant Texas Size cockroaches.  And I know we also had noises from raccoons trying to break through the roof. On top of that, bedbugs have become endemic in Austin.  A true nightmare. The only nice plague we have is urbanized deer, who also roam the area.

Not being able to clean an apartment due to clutter is lethal in this part of the world, so I had to reject that offer, so I chose the student condominium instead  :-\

J. Wilhelm

I've successfully moved into the new condominium.  The leased room has it's own bathroom and is very large with a walking closet.  It came furnished and was able to incorporate my own furniture, including a dresser and an entertainment system. 

But... the roommate loves to keep the house cold.  He opens the windows when the weather is just above freezing at night, so pretty much I rely on a small electric heater that's working most of the night.

I think the complex used to be 1960s or earlier mid century college dorm rooms that were renovated more recently to become privately owned condominiums.  The bathroom interiors look like they were built in the 1950s or 1940s, but the lavatory and commodes were renovated recently.  There's an electric heater built into the bathroom wall!!  The floors are stamped cement on the lower floor (dark brown finish).

I'm starting to see this as an old luxury hotel bedroom, and a temporary stay between 6 months and 1 year...  A "luxury bungalow," I like to call it.

rovingjack

almost a year after asking doctors about seeing somebody for shaky left hand and muscle weakness and pain episodes, got a referral for MRI. went pretty well, but nobody set up a follow up and the neurologist left the neurology department so I'll have to get a referral and wait some time for a new neuro. Looking at the online notes for the MRI. Everything comes back normal for my age range...

but at the top of the notes, it says MRI with and without contrast Indications- demyelinating disease, tremor. and the proceeds to list everything as normal in scans.

the indications are not usually the location one posts findings and diagnosis.And I assure you the only other test for neurological testing done in the last 8 years was a nerve conductance test in july that supposedly came back normal, and I've never been diagnosed with any Demyelinating disease at any point in my life before now (including at a neuro meeting a month ago.

So are we saying I have MS based on the MRI, that's a hell of a way to break the F-ing news. but it seems like it's not a finding but some indication to note before the MRI... but I've had zero testing or diagnosis before the MRI. And Nobody has contacted me to follow up or even tell me about any findings since the MRI nearly 10 days ago.

just who the hell is managing this circus?

mizzarrogh

I love birds and they are my babys so it is not that, but that particular quail specimen turned out to not handle below +10 degree C... This winter has been a minor he--l to kepp them warm despite the vdcfact i hawe them indoor in my living room... I know i need to get rid of them and replace them other specimens built for this climate, but i certanly don't want to just give them away to anybody withput some guarantee where they are going and the persons experience and actual care for my little babies.