News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inflatable Friend

A good haircut, nice walk and an Aperol spritz in a lovely Treviso square. Lovely day and it's only 13.30, cracking stuff.

Caledonian

Delivering mail gives me a sense of purpose. I only just realized i missed that.
Passion is like a Peatfire

Mercury Wells

Update re:- Robot Wars. 1st episode (Sunday) 24th of July, BBC2 @ 8pm.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

James Harrison

A day's holiday off work with absolutely nothing planned, nothing to do, nowhere to go rushing off to or places to be at a certain time or stress or anything like that. 

Absolute bliss. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Banfili

Off to Ireland for three weeks, tomorrow afternoon - yay!

Caledonian

Banfili

Sorry, Caledonian, I have brought my nephew instead!
Snuggled in to our B&B for the night (see GAAAGH) - adventure to be continued tomorrow!

Caledonian

Well.... i might go to Ireland soon, anyway! Because i finally got a full-time job!!! I promised myself to spend my first paycheck on a nice trip to somewhere :)

Banfili

Have sorted car problem, eye is much more betterer - off to visit rellies tomorrow. Yay! ;D

Mme. Ratchet

*Eye is much better

There, that made me happy :P

Banfili

Only a little bit red in the corner, otherwise looking pretty good - 5-6 days ago I looked like I had walked into a swinging left hook! Still putting the drops in, and will do so until bottle runs out. Also have gel drops, and some to get rid of the red (can't find those right now, but they are around somewhere!)

Bit more rellie visiting, and some uni work done the last two days. Also splurged on a pair of beautiful silver studs, with emerald green crystals - don't often buy ear rings or studs for myself, but decided on a treat this afternoon - I will wear them out to the Abbey Theatre on Monday night!

James Harrison

I've been able to find a nice mahagony vintage inkstand on ebay, complete with glass inkwells.  Should go well with my dip pens.

So; that's another little item to cross off the list of Vicwardian ephemera I'm looking to accrue with the eventual aim of owning a fully furnished true-to-era 1890s-1910s house.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Having decided to make a random stop off in one of the towns I drive through on my way I home I called into a charity shop and bought myself a double breasted dinner jacket for 12 quid, just in time for Asylum  ;D.

When you're my size it's the little things that make the most difference.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Banfili

Being able to do a good deed for a very hospitable cousin!

SeVeNeVeS

Monday morning I woke up with a dull ache in my lower back, bent down to put dog food in the bowl and felt a grinding, followed by a crack then an almighty twang.

I've spent the last week climbing up and down ladders doing soffit, fascia and guttering in agonizing pain, even with Tramadol.

I am so glad its Friday and I have 2 days of recovery before next weeks fun and adventures at work.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 29, 2016, 12:02:59 PM
Monday morning I woke up with a dull ache in my lower back, bent down to put dog food in the bowl and felt a grinding, followed by a crack then an almighty twang.

I've spent the last week climbing up and down ladders doing soffit, fascia and guttering in agonizing pain, even with Tramadol.

I am so glad its Friday and I have 2 days of recovery before next weeks fun and adventures at work.

My physio tells me to try and keep moving at least a bit, so the muscles don't stiffen up - but make sure it is just muscular first.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

James Harrison

I got my car back with a new/rebuilt exhaust front end. 

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

J. Wilhelm

I came back home from work today to find my roommate organized a jam session with several other band members. Currently there are 11 people in the house besides me, out of which 9 play instruments.

Saxophone (played by a girl), drums, two guitars, one bass, and one theremin. ;D plus more instruments coming. Pizza, and flowing beer. Among the titles played, INXS' Two Worlds Collide

The only downside is I'll have to wake up at 8:00 AM later today  :-\

J. Wilhelm

It's 1:30 AM. People are still arriving and we now have a mandolin in the house. I don't think I've ever heard a saxophone together with a mandoline and an accordion before!. I'm not sure whether these posts should start migrating to the GAH thread!  ;D :-\

J. Wilhelm

I'm convinced musicians are a separate subspecies of humans....

PS

OK. I have to sleep at some point. I figure if I get drunk enough I'll fall of sleep regardless of the decibels...

PS PS

Girl plays mandolin. Girl hot. Made eye contact. Girl nice to me. Unexpectedly girl comes to me and thanks me for hearing her song (!)

Later... Girl happens to be bassists girlfriend. Life is not fair.

People are finally leaving. Perhaps all gone before 3 AM. Pissed off, sleepy drunk self signing off..

Caledonian

Leaving for Hollidays in spain (and Portugal) tomorrow!!

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 30, 2016, 05:44:53 AM
I came back home from work today to find my roommate organized a jam session with several other band members. Currently there are 11 people in the house besides me, out of which 9 play instruments.

Saxophone (played by a girl), drums, two guitars, one bass, and one theremin. ;D plus more instruments coming. Pizza, and flowing beer. Among the titles played, INXS' Two Worlds Collide

The only downside is I'll have to wake up at 8:00 AM later today  :-\
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 30, 2016, 06:36:40 AM
It's 1:30 AM. People are still arriving and we now have a mandolin in the house. I don't think I've ever heard a saxophone together with a mandoline and an accordion before!. I'm not sure whether these posts should start migrating to the GAH thread!  ;D :-\
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 30, 2016, 06:45:38 AM
I'm convinced musicians are a separate subspecies of humans....

PS

OK. I have to sleep at some point. I figure if I get drunk enough I'll fall of sleep regardless of the decibels...

PS PS

Girl plays mandolin. Girl hot. Made eye contact. Girl nice to me. Unexpectedly girl comes to me and thanks me for hearing her song (!)

Later... Girl happens to be bassists girlfriend. Life is not fair.

People are finally leaving. Perhaps all gone before 3 AM. Pissed off, sleepy drunk self signing off..
Hope your head isn't too bad when you wake up.

This kinda event is the reason I Left the shared housing thing and wanted a place of my own.

Almost 25 years ago in a shared house I came home from work to what I can only describe as a house full of cirque du soleil, jugglers fire-eaters, clowns and general strangeness. People kept arriving and there was a bonfire, BBQ and fireworks in the garden, (even the immediate neigbours got involved) Good weekend with lots of booze, but wierd to this day.

I found it somewhat strange on deciding to fianally crash, there was a semi naked female clown already fast asleep in my bed, so, I just climbed in (fully clothed and none of that kinda thing) covered her up and went to sleep. Good days? not so sure, but a story to tell.

These days I live alone and the only surprise I get on coming home from work is if the dog has puked on the sofa, and you know what, I kinda prefer it that way I think...........

J. Wilhelm

Yes.  I didn't have much say in the matter.  It was the birthday of one band member in my roommates band (he owns the house, so he's my landlord) . I did get to sleep. They finally left by 4 am.. I'm relatively OK and about to start my shift.  Awesome story on the semi naked clown girl though.  Probably good that nothing else happened with my "mandolin girl"

J. Wilhelm

Discovering new things that you did not know, even though you thought you knew the subject well.

Here's something I didn't know about the country I grew up in:

I knew that there were pockets of non-Spanish speaking minorities in Mexico, such as the German speaking Mennonites, a religious group.

But I didn't know that 500 Venetian-Italian immigrants in Mexico in the  19th. C. isolated themselves in various pockets in the State of Puebla in Mexico.  They founded one town (Chipilo), and developed their own Venetian dialect ("Chipileño), which is still in use today in regions of Puebla and other states (!). That is truly surprising. I never knew this, even though I spent 17 years of my life in that country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipilo_Venetian_dialect