News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bullet

The new camera was delivered today.

Took a fair amount of workarounds but it is accessible using the old link.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

frances

Nope.  Completely black - unless of course it is night where you are.  It is night here in London, England.  Where are the birdies!!

Synistor 303

If it is night you can't see the birdies. Will check later this evening when it is day-time in Germany.

On another note - we have a ring-tailed possum (Percy) in a drey (nest) that I built for him. What camera do you use to see the birds? Because we are thinking of getting one so we can see Percy. I can even link it up so everyone else can see him too. He might even be able to convince a girl-possum to move in and then there might be babies!

Percy used to sleep under the solar panels on our roof. He would take leaves and stuff and attempt to build a drey, which caused a problem, because when it rained it would wash the leaves down into the gutter and block it... It was a really bad place to build a drey for both us and him, so I constructed a drey and secured it in a tree just out our living room door. It is just too high for us to look into it, so we figured we needed a camera.

The Bullet

Quote from: Synistor 303 on April 20, 2023, 12:06:04 AM
What camera do you use to see the birds?

I use a HiKam S6. This one has a good focus on the short distance.
I configured the camera not to use the IR lights for "night vision" (and create a red ring roung the lens) and also switched off the red and blue LEDs in order not to disturb the birds.
The camera is running 24/7. Supply is 5Volts from a usb charger type unit.
When the season starts I set the camera to record any "visitors" (motion detection is another feature).
When birds have moved in I set the camera to record (to an internal SD card) a 3 minute Video every day at 12 to document the progress.
This camera seems to have been a good choice.
You can always check via mobile phone and record or take pictures manually.

LukeHogbin

Minecraft Legends is out. Now just need to upgrade to Windows 10.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Synistor 303

Quote from: The Bullet on April 20, 2023, 06:33:32 AM
Quote from: Synistor 303 on April 20, 2023, 12:06:04 AM
What camera do you use to see the birds?

I use a HiKam S6. This one has a good focus on the short distance.
I configured the camera not to use the IR lights for "night vision" (and create a red ring roung the lens) and also switched off the red and blue LEDs in order not to disturb the birds.
The camera is running 24/7. Supply is 5Volts from a usb charger type unit.
When the season starts I set the camera to record any "visitors" (motion detection is another feature).
When birds have moved in I set the camera to record (to an internal SD card) a 3 minute Video every day at 12 to document the progress.
This camera seems to have been a good choice.
You can always check via mobile phone and record or take pictures manually.

Since possums are nocturnal we won't need night vision as they won't be in the drey at night. Keeping the camera battery charged might be a problem though, as it will be mounted outside up a tree... Hmm... More thinking required.

Sorontar

I went outside late yesterday and saw one adult possum in our courtyard and then 2 teenager possums moving around the trees up the back. I also heard movement in two more trees . It seems we are in possum central, which explains the nightly disco on our roof.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Synistor 303

The noisy possums are usually the brushtails. They sound like elephants on the roof. We have mostly ringtails which are half the size and eat less of our garden. We actively 'discourage' the brushtails...

rovingjack

I recently watched the netflix series 'Wednesday'. and made me think about how my neurodivergent brain may present to others. I can sometimes come across as a know it all, emotionless, loner, with weird ideas like painting with ashes and blood. and seeing the portrayal of a character who fits some of that and the way they can alienate and hurt those around them... made me reach out and make sure I hadn't unintentionally made former housemates feel like I didn't care about them or that I had hurt them.

I got a message back saying I wear my heart on my sleeve and was always a considerate friend.

which made me feel like I wasn't a burden or hurting others... which also confused me because I don't know why I see myself so differently than how others percieve me.

I feel like I am a cold and withdrawn person who tires people out by being exhausting to interact with. But now I'm wondering if I'm 'the Enid'?
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Sorontar

Quote from: Synistor 303 on April 23, 2023, 12:49:52 AM
The noisy possums are usually the brushtails. They sound like elephants on the roof. We have mostly ringtails which are half the size and eat less of our garden. We actively 'discourage' the brushtails...
Ours are all ringtails. They leap from tree branches 2+ metres above the metal roof then scarper or fight on it.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

frances

It works!!  I have just viewed 10 eggs.  How lovely!

Cora Courcelle

My dear rovingjack, I believe we rarely see ourselves as others see us - we lack the necessary perspective - but it's the good guys who worry about being hard to get on with.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

The Bullet

von Corax

Quote from: The Bullet on April 26, 2023, 09:11:02 AM
The first ones have hatched!

If you go to your Profile page and set the link to the cam as your personal website, the link will show up under your avatar whenever you post. (Hint, hint! ;))
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

rovingjack

first eye exam in over 20+ years (as a follow up to the vision distortion recently):

Both eyes at once can read the smallest line on the chart on the wall. left eye also can read it well enough. right eye is about a line and a half above it. book reading test, I can read the smallest font (not a surprise, I can write on rice after all).

exam shows a freckle on the back of my good eye (common, 1 in 10 people have them) and they'll watch it for any signs like a skin freckle is watched to see if it changes and could be melanoma.

so my eyes are better than I thought they were. and the glasses I got 20+ years ago for helping my right eye, still work the same even if I never use them.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

frances

I went to look at the birdies and the commentary told me that the camera was not available.  Oh-h-h-h!

Flightless Phoenix

My dear other half knows I've had a difficult week. When I got home from work today, not only had he cleaned and changed the bed sheets (a task I detest because I'm shirt so changing a double duvet  is very awkward) and he had also brought me hellboy volume 1 and a greenhouse model kit which I look forward to customising.
I'm so lucky and grateful to have him as my life partner.

frances

Tried again today to look at the nest.  No luck - camera still not available.

The Bullet

frances

tonight I watch the screen saying 'buffering' round and round for about 5 minutes.  Then gave up again.  Maybe it does not broadcast to England.

Synistor 303

It hadn't been working for me until last night - I finally saw all the hatched chicks. Only a mother could love them!

The Bullet

Quote from: Synistor 303 on May 03, 2023, 11:16:42 PM
It hadn't been working for me until last night - I finally saw all the hatched chicks. Only a mother could love them!

Wait a few days and these pink little things change into real birds.

frances

mizzarrogh

I realy love birds! They are my absolute favorite animals in all categories!  :)
Only disadvatnage is that i feel absolutly devastated when they left the earthly life, that is what usualy holds me back, but i just could not resist the quails they where judst so unbeliavable cute! A bit like miniature hens, but not hens at all at the same time. :)

The Bullet

I often feed them mealworms.
Put a dish on a table about 5m from the bird box.
I can even sit at that table without scaring them off.
This ia fascinating to see them at half a metre distance.