News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synistor 303

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on July 21, 2023, 06:08:36 PM
My brother has been discharged from hospital to continue his recovery at home. He was admitted last October.
I am happy  :)

He certainly was in for a long time - great to hear he has made it out - enjoy!

LukeHogbin

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 21, 2023, 11:26:04 PM
Quote from: Sorontar on July 21, 2023, 11:32:38 AM
Quote from: LukeHogbin on July 21, 2023, 05:43:21 AM
Have you considered bifocals ?

As I said, these are my first glasses so I will see how these go for a few years. I am just not used to having to having to take glasses on and off depending on what I am doing (or looking over the glasses). Most of the time it's looking at computer screens so they can stay on, so it isn't worth getting transitional or bifocals.

Sorontar

It doesn't sound to me like you're at a stage to need bifocals. That's only when you can't focus either far or near, typically in older age.  Not that I'm so old, but let's just say I started wearing glasses for nearsightedness at around 20 years of age and it took me about 30-something years to get to the point where I needed some mild help looking at items *very* close to my face like I need for fine crafts, which I enjoyed doing all of my life - that's just age affecting the flexibility of the natural lens in the eye.

If at well into adult life you can see perfectly any objects far away then all you have to do is correct vision when looking at close objects. Neither eye surgery not bifocals are needed IMO. Pharmacy brought reading glasses do the trick.

Heh, I got my first pair of glasses before I was 5 years old. By now (almost 38) my eyesight is so rubbish that without my glasses I don't see sharply anything more than 2-3 inches away from my face... And this is with glasses I was going to replace before the 'rona hit.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

SeVeNeVeS

For most of my life i had perfect vision, now I need 11/2 times magnification for close up stuff (cheep reading glasses £10 a pair) but I have noticed my eyes are getting worse especially first thing in the morning, I'm almost blind. Got to get an eye test done........ yet another sign of aging.  ::)

SeVeNeVeS

My brother has been discharged from hospital to continue his recovery at home. He was admitted last October.
Good news!

Ceir

Hey, a happy. I am, at least, casually, a space nerd. Cleaning up web stuff today, found out my Galaxy Zoo login still works! Aaaaand I've gotten sucked back in. There are worse timesinks than identifying features in JWST images of distant galaxies.
In all fairness, some of those who wander are definitely lost.

LukeHogbin

Quote from: Ceir on July 26, 2023, 09:15:13 PM
Hey, a happy. I am, at least, casually, a space nerd. Cleaning up web stuff today, found out my Galaxy Zoo login still works! Aaaaand I've gotten sucked back in. There are worse timesinks than identifying features in JWST images of distant galaxies.

I read up on it and that's awesome! :)

My happy moment is that, despite having a moment of panic of "which drive I have it on" ... my /mp3 and /mp3tagit  are now (also) on my laptop and I am glad that the latest version of Winamp still has classic skin and supports keyboard shortcuts

Alt+S+PgUp/Dn mostly, really
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

SeVeNeVeS

Gregg Wallace: The British Miracle Meat

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/gregg-wallace-the-british-miracle-meat

Echoes of soylent green. Pure genus and in this day and age very believable especially when presented by a household name who is all over our TVs.

Reminded me of the spaghetti-tree hoax on Panorama.

The Bullet

At last:
after several tries and lots of emails and phone calls my article made it into the local newspaper.

Background:
Our voluntary fire-brigade will celebrate 100th anniversary next year.
We are looking for one of our former cars.
This one was retired in 1986 (I was nine then) and was sold to someone in a village just "across the road".
I have a picture from 1974 (50th anniversary) showing it among other cars with my father and grandfather.
As a child, this car was fascinating because it lookred way different from the modern ones of that era and I was always told "not everyone can drive it".
I did not know about choke or unsynchronised gearboxes then.
The car was one of the legendary Borgward B2000 A/O. These were retired by the army in the seventies and converted to fire-engines.
Just like this one:

Many villages in this area had one.
It was sold to a collector/restorer so maybe it was put into a shed (many of them around the villages here) and stamped "when I get round to it.
As I have grown up here and still live here I would have seen it if it had been driven here.

Chances are slim, but I still have hope to see the old beast again.

When the car was retired, the blue light and horns were taken off (German regulations). The blue light is already in my shed. Just need to find the rest....
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Rockula

Bought a new car yesterday.
Taxed and insured it today.
Going for a drive this afternoon.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

LukeHogbin

Talked to a lady who also enjoys unfiction horror, we bonded over our love of Winter of 83.

J. Wilhelm

Listening to 1920s-30s Jazz (eg Duke Ellington) on the Internet radio, and surfing the web on my big screen TV. Feels strangely decadent.

RJBowman

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 01, 2023, 05:55:09 AM
Listening to 1920s-30s Jazz (eg Duke Ellington) on the Internet radio, and surfing the web on my big screen TV. Feels strangely decadent.

Digital technology truly does mark a new era.

rovingjack

started posting my D&D creations as both youtube videos, and on reddit post. It's nice to share things that I enjoy doing for myself.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

LukeHogbin

Reinstalled Euro Truck Simulator 2 again after a while. Vrooming around Europe is fun. :) And in the future, West Balkans DLC is coming out which will include my country (Slovenia).

Hez

A long road to finally home.  Good to hear

Sir Henry

Two months after the installation of the battery for our new solar system, we finally managed to get the beast commissioned and the software running yesterday. Just in time for the shorter days  ::)

Looking at the numbers from the last week, when the weather has been mostly cloudy, we have been generating more than we use. So I signed up for getting paid for what we export to the grid and it looks like we will be making money from our energy (we don't have a gas supply) for a little while at least.

Hopefully in the long term the use and generation for summers and winters should just about balance each other out and we can cut out another large chunk of the cost of living.

After a year of multiple and repeated problems caused by computerised systems, I'm beginning to think that things generally worked better in the 20th century as there was more flexibility and human understanding.
At least reading all of Phillip K. Dick's works as a teenager prepared me for this malfunctioning future.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

J. Wilhelm

Only lost two days of work as I left my old job and got hired on Thursday of last week!  I successfully changed horses mid stream!

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 31, 2023, 03:01:50 PM
Only lost two days of work as I left my old job and got hired on Thursday of last week!  I successfully changed horses mid stream!
Congratulations!
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sorontar

Woo hoo! Best steps forawrd.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on August 31, 2023, 03:40:50 PM
Congratulations!

Quote from: Sorontar on September 01, 2023, 12:56:55 PM
Woo hoo! Best steps forawrd.

Thank you guys! And the best thing is that it's the same place where I source most of my Steampunk build materials! I have a permanent discount.

It's no bed of roses, though.  They suffer from a lack management (literally, we spent a week without a general manager who is a new hire and a rookie too) plus excessive numbers of rookies with a low knowledge base and experience. Let's hope my stay isn't as short as their turnover rate suggests. But they're mostly kids between highschool and college (not the manager  ::) ), so that's understandable.

So the horse is a little wonky, but at least there's no sign it's dying.

Synistor 303

The Bullet

Finally!

Having had the last days off in January and a really stressful last month, today was the time to pack everything, get into the car (known in the family as "the battleship") and drive north.

Spending a week at the North sea with wife and daughter.
This was about time.
Feels good to leave everything behind for some time.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Synistor 303

Happily made it in to the new updated site - looks a bit different, but after the initial panic (eek! Change!) I managed to quickly get back into it. So this is a test post!

Rockula

Quote from: Synistor 303 on September 03, 2023, 01:11:30 AMHappily made it in to the new updated site - looks a bit different, but after the initial panic (eek! Change!) I managed to quickly get back into it. So this is a test post!

And, as a Mod, I'm happy to say I also managed to log in.
But the look is a bit off-putting.
It looks a bit old-fashioned.
Not in a Steampunk way... more a CEEFAX or ATARI kind of way...  ;)
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

von Corax

Yeah, there are still some problems. Don't worry, I'm working on them.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading