News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Sitting here in the Portuguese sun on the early morning, fresh wind, beautiful view on the golf course and a comfortable lounce set. Later this day it'll get really hot, so i make sure to enjoy this moment.
Passion is like a Peatfire

Banfili

Delivered the boy safely back home into his father's hands, then came home to my cat, hot shower, coffee and sleep (not necessarily in that order!).

Glad to be home safe and sound, considering.

rovingjack

The news is that GRR Martin says that the television rights have been sold for Wildcards.

we need a running around like a lunatic squeeing smilie.

I don't even care which stories they tell and if they throw in some original stories too. Though Tachyon and the Turtle almost have to be in it. And I think telling the Jetboy story is required to frame the setting properly. And Martin says we can expect the Sleeper.

oh man, I'm going to have reread some of my copies.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

J. Wilhelm

Caledonian

Met my best friend of 5 years for the first time in real life yesterday. We've been chatting for so long, it was rather unreal....

Madasasteamfish

Just got back from spending a few days sharing my parents holiday in Dorset.

Got to go SCUBA diving and enjoyed a trip on a preserved railway (with the added excitement of the train being delayed due to a couple of small lineside fires caused by sparks).
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Madasasteamfish

About an hour ago I got a phonecall from my boss to inform me that I got the position I applied for a few weeks ago and I still haven't stopped smiling.

More hours means more money which means less worries!  ;D

YAY! Fiscal stability! Woot!

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on August 15, 2016, 05:27:34 PM
About an hour ago I got a phonecall from my boss to inform me that I got the position I applied for a few weeks ago and I still haven't stopped smiling.

Congratulations! :)
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Inflatable Friend

Congratulations indeed! Fiscal stability is always a good thing!

Today a bit of a drive up into the Dolomites made me happy. Decided to avoid our normal destination of Faro di Alpago and onto Cortina (haven't made it there yet, always get distracted by lago di Santa Croce) due to the thunderstorms forecast. Instead opted for the next main valley over and headed to Trento then on toward Val di Sole (didn't make it, late start meant we hit more thunderstorms and turned back after lunch to enjoy some sun and walks in the woods around lago di columbo).

What blew my mind and made me happy wasn't the castle, though they were splendid and many.
It wasn't the scenery, though that was truly epic and awe inspiring.

It was the apples.

Never in my life have I seen so many apples. Around Trento and up toward Val di Non pretty much everything that wasn't pine tree, cliff or house was apples or apple related. A staggering, almost incomprehensible amount of apples. A city sized orchard, and not a small city either.

Every so often on the outskirts of towns there were sprawling sites of nothing but apple baskets. Stacks of thousands of green and grey crates neatly awaiting harvest season, but in such quantity that you could fit a supermarket inside the volume that some of the crate deposits filled.

Didn't see a single sign for cider, but did have some lovely apple strudel.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Inflatable Friend on August 15, 2016, 10:44:04 PM

Congratulations indeed! Fiscal stability is always a good thing!

I know, but for some reason, I think getting excited about being financially stable officially means I'm a grown up now (there goes my excuse of merely being cunningly disguised as one).

Caledonian

Picked out two goats yesterday. One we called Scotch, the other Whiskey. Both are rams, one brown and one black amd tan.

Another thing making me happy is bg back up

Mercury Wells

We have wild* Strawberries growing in the garden.  ;D

* at least they aren't livid.  ;)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Banfili

I have Blue Wrens nesting in my pine tree - that makes me happy! The fact that they are using my new car as a dance and display ground and subsequently poo-ing all over it doesn't make me happy, but the car cover should come soon!!

Madasasteamfish

Had my 3 month end of probation review at work today and am now a permanent member of staff (on increased hours compared to my original contract).

So now, not only will I be earning decent money (as in enough to live on, put a little aside for a rainy day and still have the occasional splurge), for doing a job I enjoy doing, for an organisation that I enjoy working for, and is committed to me as an employee, I'll be working at a place I enjoy being and (more importantly) I can see myself staying at.

Banfili

Win all round, then, Madasa! Congratulations on your advancement, and long may it continue. ;D

Caledonian

Got tickets for the Rumjacks concert in Amsterdam

Banfili

Got car cover, & put up mirror on fence for wrens to display in front of - let's see if it works

Lady Ava

Finally got the University Steampunk Society set up in time for fresher! I'm now officially President Ava!
''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Banfili

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Lady Ava on September 12, 2016, 12:00:45 PM
Finally got the University Steampunk Society set up in time for fresher! I'm now officially President Ava!

Congratulations! I don't think we ever had a Steampunk club/society at my university. We did have an Anime club, but I dpn't think there is a Steampunk one.

J. Wilhelm

A few days ago, co-worker may have given me the best chance I've seen to re-enter my industry directly, by suggesting that I apply for an internship. The way he sees it I have to invest to gain experience. He suggested that when I mentioned that I'd like any kind of position, regardless of how low, as long as I could write something technically relevant in my curriculum vitae.

Seeing as getting hired is so difficult because of my age, my lack of experience and my "excess education,"  ::) it seems his idea is the best and only chance I have to returning to the aeronautical industry with a minimal amount of effort. At least in the United States.

It so happens that my co-worker knows an engineer (a racquetball partner) who has a the same Masters degree as I have (also from the same university) and who works for a firm - with a local branch - who are involved in the design of flight simulators and training of aircraft pilots.

Upon suggesting the idea to this engineer during a racquetball match, the engineer replied favourably to my co-worker, suggesting that they might create an internship position either paid or not (but preferably paid), as he is in a position to do so and there is precedent in other branches around the nation.

I have sent my resume and letter of intent. Cross your fingers! There may be a small crack in the door!

SeVeNeVeS

Mr Wilhelm, I sincerely hope this lead pans out.

I know of your past woes, trials and complications in the work environment posted here.

Fingers firmly crossed  for a paid internship, Best of luck my good man  and now toes crossed too for an extra little mojo.

Banfili

Good luck, J. Wilhelm - may the force be with you!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 15, 2016, 10:24:54 AM
Mr Wilhelm, I sincerely hope this lead pans out.

I know of your past woes, trials and complications in the work environment posted here.

Fingers firmly crossed  for a paid internship, Best of luck my good man  and now toes crossed too for an extra little mojo.

Quote from: Banfili on September 15, 2016, 11:40:21 AM
Good luck, J. Wilhelm - may the force be with you!

Thanks you guys.  Need to remind myself not to get overly excited about it. But it's been so long since I heard anything remotely positive in the interview arena, that it's easy to get carried away.

Very worried, though, about how I will balance the job and the internship. My jobs pays so little and takes so much of my fime, that I can hardly afford to reduce my schedule. And by March next year, I need to increase my income by $300 so I can pay my student loans. I may explore moving out of Austin in search of a job in the same company (they have more openings elsewhere where they're based, even if it marginally pays more than my current job.