News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bullet

A server move without any problems would compromise the space-time continuum.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

von Corax

Quote from: The Bullet on September 03, 2023, 05:22:56 PMA server move without any problems would compromise the space-time continuum.

Yes. Yes it would.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

von Corax

We now have a wiki, and all registered Brass Goggles users above the rank of Swab are automatically able to contribute. I will be adding a link to the top menu as soon as I figure out how.

rovingjack

after talking to some legal advocate for disability, who was appalled that nobody had been helping me and/or telling me anything about my status or managing my case, despite me making requests,in nearly a decade. And talking with the SBA about turning creative projects into potential business... I was encouraged to create an umbrella business that my varied things could all belong to.

So I've been playing with naming businesses. Kinda like naming bands.
The purely cuz I like the sound of it: Sproing Gaiter
The desire to do something with 'Windrose'
The sadness that the name I always used for my muses is being used: The workshop of Cobble and Bodge.
The probably not the best idea: Snarky Shenanigens.
And the grammatically dubious: Curio Horizons. (though it's very close to a great fit all around)
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Sorontar

I recommend you pick a name that is:
- easy to spell, or spelt in a way that people are sure to remember (important for online searchability)
- not similar to any existing business names (e.g., adult businesses you don't want to be associated with)
- registerable with .com (so you can make a webpage url, even if it redirects to any existing site you already have)

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

The Bullet

Just got the notification that the last set of spares for my 1964 fire pump are in the post and will arrive today.
This means that my daughter (6 years old) and I will spend some time in the workshop today putting the old beast back together.
Looking forward to it.

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Sorontar on September 19, 2023, 12:56:30 AMI recommend you pick a name that is:
- easy to spell, or spelt in a way that people are sure to remember (important for online searchability)
- not similar to any existing business names (e.g., adult businesses you don't want to be associated with)
- registerable with .com (so you can make a webpage url, even if it redirects to any existing site you already have)

Sorontar

And gives people some idea of what you are selling - most people aren't that interested in random searching.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

The Bullet

It´s aliiiiive!

With a huge roar and a mighty cloud of blue smoke, the beast came to life again.
Ma TS 2/5 military fire pump is back in action. First successful start of the motor was yesterday but it only ran full blast as the rpm control did not work properly. This is basically an enclosed centrifugal governor.
I took it off, opened it, cleaned and oiled the bits, put it back together and found that the arm that links it to the carb did not get full travel.
The arm actuating it was in the wrong position on the shaft, some other bits were not as they should.
She just ran successfully at the rated rpm. ("dry test")

This evening I will do a full test under load.

The pump was built in 1966, the motor is dated 1970. This is one of the almost indestructible ILO 152 two stroke petrol motors.

I already have the fire-Version, made by Ziegler in 1964.
This one is the millitary version made by KHD (Klöckner Humbold Deutz aka Magirus)

They are identical except fot the colour and the lamp illuminating the pressure gauge on the fire version.

rovingjack

Quote from: Sorontar on September 19, 2023, 12:56:30 AMI recommend you pick a name that is:
Quote from: Cora Courcelle on September 19, 2023, 03:52:10 PMAnd gives people some idea of what you are selling - most people aren't that interested in random searching.

which is what I've always tried to do, with some difficulty sometimes. Because a lot of names are already used, even if some of them are just camping on a name. And the closer you get to being explicit about what you are doing the more likely it is to have somebody using it.

on top of it the advice to make an umbrella company is harder even because there is a real reason why I have 6 youtube channels with different names. Because if you are coming for a video on solo playthrough of homagebrew of D&D settings you don't dig through a tutorial of turning plastic grocery bags into a rigid enclosure for circuit boards and reviews of victorian horror fictions and rambling breakdown of movies over the doodling of complex mazes. To collect all of that under one brand identity, how does one do that?

I'm of the mind that they shouldn't be united. And instead I can more focus on the idea of exploring niches of Thactotum RPG designs, taking comissions for cartography, while publishing zines of created rpg content, and the youtube channel for the playthrough and world building tutorials, and merch for the channel, and earning from ads, and patreon... etc. for that brand. and recreate that model for Inspired content, and or the other youtube channels and brands around them.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Cora Courcelle

An alternative is to make yourself the brand, (how about 'Rovingjack Enterprises'?), but I think you do need to focus on the best money-spinners and have the review type channels for your own relaxation.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

von Corax

Before I left for work this morning I put a batch of chili in the slow cooker. When I walked in just now, the timer read "55 seconds."

rovingjack

I've gone for a 2.5 mile walk today, and it didn't leave my worn out, or jelly legged. I feel I could probably do 2 or 3 of those in a day now. I've been trying my fitness routines again to get rapid improvement in fitness and mobility. I'm either coming from way behind, or my health has taken a serious hit or I'm either older or dealing with poor recovery from sleep issues or chronic health issues... but whatever the issue, I hitting walls that weren't there three years ago and I'm having some painful recovery days where I've never needed them before.

but I'm fitter than I was a month ago.

von Corax

I've been offered a job as a Software Engineer, working from home at $38/hr. AAH!!! :o

Sorontar

Can you pick and choose how many hours you devote a week to this job? Can you pick the hours?

Sorontar

von Corax

Quote from: Sorontar on November 17, 2023, 11:31:46 AMCan you pick and choose how many hours you devote a week to this job? Can you pick the hours?

Sorontar

They expect me to work 9 to 5, Monday to Friday.

von Corax

Canada now has a single national suicide prevention hotline. The number is 988, and is available 24 hours a day via voice or text.

rovingjack

may have been commissioned to make the art for a holiday card for an organization that features a local artist on their company holiday card each year.

Sir Henry

Quote from: rovingjack on December 01, 2023, 07:42:49 AMmay have been commissioned to make the art for a holiday card for an organization that features a local artist on their company holiday card each year.
Best of luck!

My happy today:
This place is brilliant for birds.
Yesterday half a dozen parakeets perched on the bare branches at the top of the cherry tree, their yellow/green plumage startlingly bright in the sunlight on a cold grey early winter day.
This morning a nuthatch feeding from the feeder just outside the kitchen window, a couple of metres from where I was stood. I've never seen one close up before. Except stuffed, at the Pitt-Rivers.
And tonight...
A clear frosty night, an almost full moon rising behind the house so the stars were all sparkling sharpness and the icy bare branches of all the trees were all contrast and no colour. Gazing up, enjoying the silence and stillness. Then it was broken by a weird noise. And again - that sounded like a goose! Then another.
Over about half a minute the sound grew louder and there were obviously more than one goose. I was about to go round to the front of the house to see why there were geese going down the road when the timbre changed and I realised that they were directly above.
At first I couldn't see anything except dark grey sky straight above me. But after a while, as the noise started to fade again, there was a pale flash of paler grey about half way down to the horizon. Then I saw it; not the flying V-shape I was expecting but a curve. Like the halo around the moon, a barely-visible arc of lighter sky, and maybe four times larger and migrating north-west. Only the bottom section was visible, like the arc between clock hands at 4.40. A monochrome smile that got brighter and smaller until it faded away again.

Some days it's all worth it.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

Quote from: von Corax on November 16, 2023, 02:29:21 AMI've been offered a job as a Software Engineer, working from home at $38/hr. AAH!!! :o

The job turned out to be an attempted scam. See my post in GAAH! for details.

Sorontar

Just discovered that the tree in the far corner of our land is bearing 3 (very sick) fruit for the first time since we moved here, revealing that it is a nectarine tree! Now we just have to help it get better.

SeVeNeVeS

I don't do dress up but it's getting chilly down south so I wear my winter house coat, only problem it's slightly on the heavy side. ;D

von Corax

After taking what any reasonable person would deem an unreasonable amount of time to move house, I have this evening turned in the keys to my apartment in the Deforested City.

Sorontar

I have just had my first class at swing dancing. I now know how badly I do it, so next week's class must be better (provided I practise).

Sorontar

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Sorontar on February 07, 2024, 10:55:04 AMI have just had my first class at swing dancing. I now know how badly I do it, so next week's class must be better (provided I practise).

Sorontar
Oh my, dear old dad could have tought you a thing or two, gold medal winner in ballroom, bless him, Blackpool and national champion. Strictly Come Dancing eat yer' heart out.

Throughout my life I can remember both parents practicing in the house on a piece of hardboard on the floor to allow for easy sliding.

Good luck mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-IrUpWEUI
Me? I inherited none of the talent although to my credit I did learn the waltz so I could dance with my mum at her golden anniversary wedding bash, like a square wooden block being rolled from a train crash.......Not my proudest moment if I can be honest. :) 

Sorontar

I have previously found that shuffling the feet from side to side is a dance style named after my city - the Melbourne Shuffle - provided you speed it up and do a bit of kicking. Swing looks like it is more coordinated and uses arms and other people.  I got the basic moves, but I have to learn how to remember how they work in combination. It reminds me of how I learnt circular waltz as a teenager. Thanks for the YT video. I'll watch it later.

I don't do things competitively if I can help myself, certainly not dancing. I live for fun, not prizes.