News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Banfili

The luggage has multiple little feet, so looking for one thorn could be tricky - lure it out with bananas!

Caledonian

Passion is like a Peatfire

James Harrison

Finding 'Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow' and 'Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow' as free MP3 downloads.  Something to drop onto my MP3 player and listen to at work. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

J. Wilhelm

Every weekend evening, on the garden of an office building, just outside of my local super, some bloak stands for hours playing the bagpipes. And he's really good at it too! Today is a cool rainy day,  perfect for the occasion. Generally it'd be more probable to hear a Blues band,  a Country Western or some indie Rock Band in Austin. But apparently we have more than a few groups trained in such instruments.

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Mme. Ratchet

Caledonian

Bines

Mercury Wells

I've found a new jazz musician to listen to via the BBC;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

ForestB

My oldest son came home with not one, but two certificates of academic excellence, one for science and one for social studies. I'm so proud of him!
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

Sir Henry

I've been having great fun designing puzzle boxes, the slide this, push that, turn the other to unlock boxes. The design part is a really enjoyable exercise in logic to the extent that even the product testing isn't disheartening, making ever-better versions on a laser cutter. Then last night I had an epiphany. I had reached version 1.5 of the latest box and was having problems - friction was making it hard to turn the disks on the faces of the box, but was needed to hold it in a locked position. What was needed was a disk which was easier to get a grip on, something with teeth. So now, for totally functional reasons, I get to glue some gears on it!  :D
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Inflatable Friend

Needed to pop up into the Dolomites today for a spot of shopping. Made me happy to breath clean air and see such spectacular views as we wound our way up. Second time in a week as we'd gone up previously to cheer on the cyclists in the Giro a few days prior.

Plus, found a lovely Sicilian pizza place, bonus!

Banfili

ForestB

Quote from: Banfili on May 27, 2016, 12:02:38 AM
ForestB, Very well done, that boy!! ;D

Thanks, he brought home another certificate, for being the best behaved in his math class...
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

Banfili

Sir Henry

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Mercury Wells

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Siliconous Skumins

A recent score of goodies from a 'car boot sale' has resulted in some lovely steampunky goodness.

So far I have refinished a late Victorian metal travel trunk that was badly "restored" (car body filler, rattle can spray paint and plastic sticky-backed red pin-striping on the lid) and was actually being used by a professional car boot seller to move his wares in and out of the van. It was horribly dented and beaten up, but I got it for £12 (though he was reluctant to sell it as it was full of crap precious items for sale). Was able to uncover the original gold paint decorative details thanks to the crappy job at respraying  - sticky tape was able to rip most of the paint off the gold areas as they never cleaned it before spraying, so paint did not adhere well. Used a razor blade to remove the remainder of the paint and trim up the remainder of the spray job. Trunk was originally brown and gold, but they had sprayed it all black. Now it is black and gold, and looks awesome now that the dents and excess body filler have been removed.  :)

Have just finished making two pendant ceiling lamps (that work equally well as table lamps...) from a collection of Vic-Wardian style modern
lamps and associated parts that were recently removed from a local pub during a renovation. Sadly they came without the original glass shades as they were broken during the trip to the car boot sale. However that did not prove a problem, and a quick trip to the nearest purveyor of low cost household items (B&M store) resulted in the purchase of two glass jars intended as solar lights. They fit perfectly as replacement shades (minus the solar lamp part), and look much more steampunk as a result. Cost of lamps plus new shades: £10 (bargain!)  ;D

Busy working on some other bits, should have some interesting things soon... I'm so having fun with this! :D

Pics will follow in Tactile as soon as I get a new memory card for the camera.
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Caledonian

2 days of keltfest for me! That's what i call a pleasant surprise

Banfili

Garage sales at reasonably close location tomorrow morning - my next door neighbours and I are going to see what we can pillage purchase!

James Harrison

Had a 'phone call yesterday; rear hoops (a sort of rollbar type fitting for my car) are ready. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

James Harrison

Yes; they fit behind the seats, like this. 

The alternative is to fit something like this to it, which somewhat spoils the look of the car. 

Caledonian

Today was keltfest, which is great on it's own, but to make it even better i got along with this nice guy with whom i will go on a date soon, and to top it off we got to see a steam powered tractor which came from another event nearby.
Picture to come.