News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!

Started by Banfili, April 19, 2016, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith_Beef

Quote from: James Harrison on May 29, 2016, 01:41:59 PM
Yes; they fit behind the seats, like this. 

From the road surface, I'm guessing that the Spitfire in that picture is in North America... does that also explain the shelf brackets on the front end?

I'd love to get an old Spitfire, MGB or Sprite and put one of those racks on the boot and carry a great big wicker hamper to go pick-nicking.
--
Keith

James Harrison

Yes it's an American model; the indicators on the wings are telling (they're not fitted to UK or European spec cars). I do actually have one of the boot racks!- it was taken off for the winter but I'll be putting it back on once the cracked paint on the boot lid is sorted out.

My previous car was an MG Midget ( badge-engineered Sprite). It looked nice enough but was very cramped inside, an absolute ****** to work on and didn't feel as rugged as the Spitfire. Of course, old cars vary dependant on how they have been treated and that MG proved to have been fatally ill-treated by previous owners.

They're terrific fun but you have to be prepared to put up with a lot. No power steering, no ABS,  nothing in the way of driver aids whatsoever. It's you... And metal. They also tend to be quite noisy, rattle a lot, smell of fuel, hot in the summer and cold in the winter, fickle when it comes to starting, cramped, have little in the way of luggage space, prone to rust and rot, need to be looked after more, when something goes wrong (and it will!) that will happen more often and be more expensive to fix. But despite all this... the thrill I get when I get behind the wheel makes all the drawbacks worthwhile.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Drew P

Ah, ok, the way those fit in is way better than what I was thinking. Thought they would be much higher, like in a racer or something.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

The Bullet

Was given a box. Top was marked:
"Dynamit Act-Gesellschaft, DONARIT, 25 kg, Herstellung 1944"
This one and 3 other boxes were stored in a neighbours house for 50+years and contained her father´s O-gauge model railway. She had no use for the stuff and gave it to me.
Nothing really valuable for a "serious" collector.
Very valuable for me as there were a level-crossing, some lamps, some telegraph poles and other things he had made from scratch. Even more valuable for me as there is a story behind it.
There is one loco and 4 wagons. As the whole stuff had been stored in a dry place it only took me about 2 hours to give the loco a complete clean and adjust the moving parts.
She´s running fine now. Still something to be done on the scenery bits. The bell box suffers from broken cables, the signal needs a new bulb (repaired the wiring yesterday).
In the next few days our neighbour will come over and driv ethe loco she had last seen running when she was ten years old......
Let´s see what happens.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Drew P

^Sounds very nice, any possibility that we could see the set up?
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Caledonian

here is one picture as promised.

if i find out how to get the rest to my pc then more will follow
Passion is like a Peatfire

The Bullet

Of course.

Two quick shots of the box:

Sorry, there´s no KABOOM left inside....

Drew P

....and how about the Loco? ::)

Nice, ...ah, ....er, box ya got there! I'd put it up with the books and see if it gets noticed.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Drew P

Would be cool to scan it ;).
The box cover, that is.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Caledonian

today is our first year exposition!!

....but I wonder what type of drinks they're feeding us

Clym Angus

That looks (from a distance) like a rather large snifter of absinthe. 

James Harrison

First ever long distance (for the UK) road trip. 170 miles from Staffordshire to Suffolk. I didn't get killed to death, the car didn't break down, I didn't get hopelessly lost or run out of petrol or any other maladies; I'm chalking it up as a success. Of course, now I just have to get back home after the weekend.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Clym Angus

James Harrison

:D My car being of early '70s vintage to a '60s design, the soundtrack I had in mind all the way down was Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks et al.  That may have been inspired by the Jaguar scenes in Withnail and I...

James Harrison

Home again!  Oh, wait, no, that's not a 'happy'. 

The Spit's now done two long-haul journeys (coming back along the motorway and touching 70-75mph on stretches) and it never skipped a beat. 

Who says old cars are unreliable?  :D

frances

Took the dog for a walk in a large park on the first sunny afternoon for ages.  They had not cut the grass in one field and there were daises and buttercups in bloom.  The sun shone, the dog romped about and all was happy.

Caledonian

Quote from: frances on June 05, 2016, 07:11:09 PM
Took the dog for a walk in a large park on the first sunny afternoon for ages.  They had not cut the grass in one field and there were daises and buttercups in bloom.  The sun shone, the dog romped about and all was happy.
That sounds like an amazing day

Cora Courcelle

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Madasasteamfish

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

The Bullet

Here goes:

Lada (German abbreviation for: Laut Anleitung Doch Auto)

According to the manual it actually is a car.

next one please.

James Harrison

Well, I thought this was a jokey piece, until I noticed it was old, old, Top Gear.  Before they made it funny. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9SdzX44zgY

Keith_Beef

Quote from: James Harrison on May 29, 2016, 08:22:20 PMNo power steering, no ABS,  nothing in the way of driver aids whatsoever. It's you... And metal.

I had a MkIII Land Rover for a while. Who needs power steering, anyway? I could turn the wheel with one finger on the tarmac, and my mother who had very weak wrists (after a couple of falls involving several broken bones) could drive it.
--
Keith

James Harrison

My Spitfire's passed her MOT; I'm getting her back tomorrow. 

I'm very pleased about that naturally. 

Keith_Beef

I always post here about things that made me happy a few days ago...
Last week the Lions or Rotary club in my town held its annual fundraising jumble sale. For once, I didn't buy any books, but I got a panga, sickle and pruning saw for €4.
Yep, FOUR EUROS.

The panga and sickle need sharpening, and it would be good to replace or at least bind the cracked handles, but those are easy enough jobs for me.
--
Keith

The Bullet

Received a whole box (yes, another one) of O-gauge tinplate stuff.
Spent most of the morning cleaning and installing the stuff on my layout.