News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!

Started by Madasasteamfish, June 25, 2016, 08:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeHogbin

An acquaintance of mine with rather poor sense of humour called two of his dogs "Idiot" and "B**ch".  ::)
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Will Howard

Quote from: LukeHogbin on October 05, 2016, 09:25:37 PM
An acquaintance of mine with rather poor sense of humour called two of his dogs "Idiot" and "B**ch".  ::)

I wonder what they called HIM?
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

von Corax

It's probably apocryphal, but I recall hearing about someone who named his dog "Stay."
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

LukeHogbin

Quote from: Will Howard on October 05, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Quote from: LukeHogbin on October 05, 2016, 09:25:37 PM

I wonder what they called HIM?

Most of us who know him refer to him in conversation with terms inappropriate for this forum.

On semi-related topic: I have a pet dog and a pet cat in Minecraft. The dog is named Cat and the cat is named Dog.  ;D
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

rovingjack

it's time to invest in a replacement car. The current one isn't officially broken, it's just a list of things that are wearing down. front wheel bearing is grinding (second one in two years), swing are is wearing down, nobody know how the exhaust is holding itself together, and part of the front frame is infected with the rust in a fist sized location. I could likely fix a bit of it here and there over the next few months, but between the end cost of all these things reaching close to 2.5 thousand dollars and it chronically leaking like a strainer around back window, sunroof an trunk seals and some damage to the back seats and roof liner from said leaks (total repair costs for the leaks done by a shop would run in the thousands). I think it's time to find something else.

I'm thinking I might just grab something off craigslist for between 500 and 1000 that I'm reasonably sure would pass inspection, and see if I can get a year or two , maybe more out of it while saving up for something more down the line.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Birdnest

I'm sad to announce the demise of the Birdnest.  Taken by the Roaring Lion fire storm on 31 July, 2016.

The important things were saved ... lives and critters. All else was completely destroyed.

We've gathered our wits and have moved on to Port Townsend, Washington .. to restart amidst the grand cedar trees and wonderful Victorian homes (and pretty good beer ...).

Though we were driven to the four winds by a careless act of a mindless 'human', life goes on ... along with a ton of retail therapy and the opportunity to create new treasures (some to be posted here fairly soon!).  We've purchased a new home on the peninsula and will move in early November - carpets will be torn away and replaced with oak floors ... the interior will be getting a dramatic turn back in time ... over a bit of time (not too much fun at once, ya know ... got to spread it out a little for added enjoyment)

Spoiler: ShowHide

This video is a 4x time lapse ... the fire went from 1 acre bother to a 300 ft. wall of flame and wind in a mere 20 minutes.  The Birdnest was in the low hill in the background just to the right of the big tree in the foreground.  (sorry 'bout the useless advertisement ... high drama pays I reckon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcDxp07okc

FWIW ... insurance companies are quite helpful and very fast at payouts for events such as this.

Onward ho!

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: Birdnest on October 07, 2016, 06:32:57 AM
I'm sad to announce the demise of the Birdnest.  Taken by the Roaring Lion fire storm on 31 July, 2016.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear / read that!  :o  Glad you all got out OK.

Were you able to salvage anything from the wreckage or was it all just a melted & charred lump after the fire?

I'm glad you have a new place and that the insurance was not an issue. Please keep us updated with the steampunky progress on the new place!  :)
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Birdnest

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on October 07, 2016, 07:08:21 AM

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear / read that!  :o  Glad you all got out OK.

Were you able to salvage anything from the wreckage or was it all just a melted & charred lump after the fire?

I'm glad you have a new place and that the insurance was not an issue. Please keep us updated with the steampunky progress on the new place!  :)

Thanks!
Our son managed to find a few odd things (almost enough to fill a milkcrate) ... I'll post them properly displayed in the new and improved Cabinet of Curiosities ... but basically everything was completely reduced to about 4 inches of ash ... the fireproof safe melted, quartz crystals vaporized, wood stove just gone (it was cast iron). He found a pool of aluminum thought to have been the generator motor (that'll be a keeper!)

If anyone knows of a pre 1940 Louis XV baby grand piano for sale in the Portland-Seattle-Olympic Peninsula area ... PM me!!
Onward ho!

Banfili

Birdnest, so sorry to hear about the loss of the 'nest, but glad your people & animals are ok. Hope your new 'nest turns out grand for you all.

J. Wilhelm

Same here. Sorry to hear about the house, but you seem to be fine and in fighting spirit. There is more than one way to lose all of your material possessions. This is just one way. As long as you' and your loved ones are unharmed.

walking stick

Spent  hours on a new piece of writing then made some sort of mistake and lost the whole thing.  Not that important in the scheme of things but irritating.

Caledonian

I'm sick.
And i have to work 6 days this week.
Yay great combination
Passion is like a Peatfire

Banfili

walking stick, I know the feeling! Lost 7/8 of my MA dissertation - it just disappeared! Fortunately, found it again, but 10 minutes of sheer panic before I did. Now I make copies of copies of copies!! ;D

SeVeNeVeS

I've just started backing up important stuff in the cloud and am using https://hubic.com/    25GB Free.

Can be a little slow on upload but does the job atm.

I tend to cue 'em up and set 'em off just before bed.

Will Howard

Quote from: Caledonian on October 19, 2016, 07:08:34 AM
I'm sick.
Yay great combination

I hope that you'll be able to overcome whatever ails you quickly.
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Caledonian

Quote from: Will Howard on October 20, 2016, 12:48:46 AM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 19, 2016, 07:08:34 AM
I'm sick.
Yay great combination

I hope that you'll be able to overcome whatever ails you quickly.

It's the common cold. I'm feverish but not feverish enough to keep me bedbound

James Harrison

The important things were saved ... lives and critters. All else was completely destroyed.

We've gathered our wits and have moved on to Port Townsend, Washington .. to restart amidst the grand cedar trees and wonderful Victorian homes (and pretty good beer ...).

Though we were driven to the four winds by a careless act of a mindless 'human', life goes on ... along with a ton of retail therapy and the opportunity to create new treasures (some to be posted here fairly soon!).  We've purchased a new home on the peninsula and will move in early November - carpets will be torn away and replaced with oak floors ... the interior will be getting a dramatic turn back in time ... over a bit of time (not too much fun at once, ya know ... got to spread it out a little for added enjoyment)

This video is a 4x time lapse ... the fire went from 1 acre bother to a 300 ft. wall of flame and wind in a mere 20 minutes.  The Birdnest was in the low hill in the background just to the right of the big tree in the foreground.  (sorry 'bout the useless advertisement ... high drama pays I reckon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcDxp07okc

FWIW ... insurance companies are quite helpful and very fast at payouts for events such as this.

My word.  I was about to post moaning about the wretched cold I've had this last week (which has kept me off work the last few days), but that rather pales into insignificance when compared with your problem.  I'm so sorry for your loss; I have been very impressed with your handiwork whenever you've shown photographs of it and plainly quite aside from being your home, it was your life's work too.  I can't begin to imagine the feelings evoked seeing it destroyed thus.  I know if it happened to me I'd be utterly heartbroken.  I suppose the only positive that can come out of this situation is the opportunity to rebuild, bigger/ better/ improved.  You'd just sooner it wasn't brought about by these circumstances. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Caledonian

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Banfili

They climb up!

The kids in my yard play "Top-of-the-Heap" in my wheelbarrow, and on the wood heap!

rovingjack

my car now stalls when put in reverse. I've got two more days before the weekend that I'm working and need it to get me there. then I have two weeks to figure out an alternative before the next job starts.

I may see if I can get it looked at and see if it's an easy fix, but I doubt it.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Caledonian

Quote from: James Harrison on October 21, 2016, 04:37:43 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 21, 2016, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 01, 2016, 05:24:46 PM
My goat escaped

Again

Something about escaping goats and such....

:D  How does it get on the roof of its own hutch?!?

it jumps up the wall, stands in the window peen, then walks calmly to the housing, then goes eat the poisonous bush.

James Harrison

MWBailey

Quote from: Caledonian on October 25, 2016, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: James Harrison on October 21, 2016, 04:37:43 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 21, 2016, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on October 01, 2016, 05:24:46 PM
My goat escaped

Again

Something about escaping goats and such....

:D  How does it get on the roof of its own hutch?!?

it jumps up the wall, stands in the window peen, then walks calmly to the housing, then goes eat the poisonous bush.

Now, if you could get it to eat the poisonous neighbors... (I'm such a baaad person,LOL).
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Siliconous Skumins

Just noticed that I have lost the garnet stone out of the ring on my little finger. :'(

No idea when it fell out, didn't even know it was loose. It probably fell out today when I was applying roofing felt on an outhouse at one of my properties. I'm really pissed off at losing the stone, the ring belonged to my dad and I only wore it due to that reason. I don't wear rings or jewellery of any sort usually due to the type of manual work I do and when I'm making stuff, it all usually just gets in the way or is likely to be damaged.

It has not been off my finger in nearly 20 years. Feels odd not having it on anymore (now in box with my other rings), but pointless wearing a ring with a gaping hole in the top.

BOLLOCKS!   >:(

GAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

I might see about getting a replacment stone, depending on price. But it's not the same though...  :-\
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.