News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morozow

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Quin

Quote from: RJBowman on July 09, 2018, 08:57:44 PM

Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

I just picked up the first volume of the Tom Swift Jr. adventures, "Tom Swift and His Flying Lab", written pseudonymously by Victor Appleton II.  This is from the second series, published starting in 1954 and featuring the son of the original. This genius inventor was a lot more ambitious, creating nuclear-powered spaceships, radar security systems, and long-range radiation detectors (and that's just the first book!). 

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Lord Pentecost on May 16, 2017, 06:55:26 PM
Carboot Sale Finds

The folding ruler is stamped LNER!

Late responding, but...

I came across an article in one of my woodworking magazines I Thought I should mention...

Check your folding rule against a modern known-accurate yardstick.... some of the older folding rules used an archaic inch that is not the same as the modern inch!

Yhs
Prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Prof Marvel

Quote from: RJBowman on July 09, 2018, 08:57:44 PM
More cool books, this time from a small antiques mall in a suburb of Toledo:

I'm always happy to find these at a good price:

I picked them up for $5 each.
Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

But if a boy was not content to read about Tom Swift, and aspired to actually be Tom Swift, this book would be the for that boy:

I picked this book up for $20. It is a bit worn, and the spine is failing, but I consider it a good buy at the price I paid.
The book is packed with things to build, taken from articles in early Popular Mechanics and Boy's Popular Mechanics magazines. The projects include farm equipment, numerous electrical apparatus (transmitters, hand-made meters, motors, etc.), steam engines and turbines, boats, skis, magic tricks, and even a very primitive one-man glider. There are usually one or more projects per page. Instructions are basic and brief.

Here's a sample page:

As a sprout....
I had the entire collection of Tom Swift Junior series... I had always wondered about "Senior"....

Regarding the boy mechanics...
One of those things had many tube-based electronics projects, I was enamoured with and aspired to build the super-regenerative shortwave radio set... until I bought the modernisch tube based Lafayette Radio superheterodyne multiband shortwave receiver KIT, WITH the required BFO so one could actually hear single side and transmissions. ... but I digress ....

One of the projects involved overdriving common triodes or pentodes to make your very own X-ray machine! I hesitate to think how many youngsters overexposed themselves....

Yhs
Prof Marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

RJBowman

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 13, 2018, 10:51:55 PM
Regarding the boy mechanics...
One of those things had many tube-based electronics projects, I was enamoured with and aspired to build the super-regenerative shortwave radio set... until I bought the modernisch tube based Lafayette Radio superheterodyne multiband shortwave receiver KIT, WITH the required BFO so one could actually hear single side and transmissions. ... but I digress ....

One of the projects involved overdriving common triodes or pentodes to make your very own X-ray machine! I hesitate to think how many youngsters overexposed themselves....

Yhs
Prof Marvel

The book is full of chemistry projects that use corrosive and volatile chemicals, and electric projects that use high voltage. One of the build-it-yourself projects is a one man glider (this was published in 1913). The litigation culture of today did not exist back then, nor did helicopter parenting.

morozow

I bought here is a panel of Soviet times. The panel consists of brass engravings.

Years of the 80s. was it then 48 Soviet rubles. That was good money. Perhaps it was not for apartments, and for decorations offices.

Is the bridges of Leningrad. Although the ' 80s were almost like yesterday. Only now there is no such city. Leningrad is now St Petersburg again.  So, perhaps this fragment of that era can be considered Antiques.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Hez

Quote from: morozow on September 25, 2018, 09:12:13 AM

I bought here is a panel of Soviet times. The panel consists of brass engravings.

Years of the 80s. was it then 48 Soviet rubles. That was good money. Perhaps it was not for apartments, and for decorations offices.

Is the bridges of Leningrad. Although the ' 80s were almost like yesterday. Only now there is no such city. Leningrad is now St Petersburg again.  So, perhaps this fragment of that era can be considered Antiques.

It's wonderful.

Miranda.T

Quote from: morozow on September 25, 2018, 09:12:13 AM

Elegant, and as such a worthy reflection of the city it draws from.

Yours,
Miranda.

Caledonian

Not flee market per say but
I got this from my local thrift store
Passion is like a Peatfire

morozow

Madasasteamfish

Seriously Jealous of you now. That is a very nice piece...
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Caledonian

Thank you! I'm very happy with it too! Its very low tho so it may need modification before i can use it...like, fit my knees underneath

Banfili

SeVeNeVeS

Now, that is rather a fine looking desk.

Good find!!

walking stick

Very fine desk.

If you are raising the desk by putting platforms under the desk at each side you could include a secret drawer and/or a small safe in one or both platforms.

RJBowman

Brought back by a friend from a Christmas trip to Illinois:

Both 1920's era or earlier. Original cartoonist's inks. The framed cartoon is signed by A.J. Housinger, who does not seem to have achieved much fame as a cartoonist, but online I found one example of a strip he did called "Married Life"

The second strip makes a reference to something called a "traction company", which I had to look up. It's a streetcar company.

bicyclebuilder

My flea market find consists of a few items:
I've recently bought a second hand moped.
A retro looking Chinese junk-machine, but it works.
To go in style, I've added a suitcase I found at a local flea market.
At a second hand store, I purchased a jerrycan.
Now, the suitcase is bolted on the seat and the jerrycan is strapped on the suitcase with an old belt.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

Deimos

Quote from: Caledonian on October 29, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
Not flee market per say but
I got this from my local thrift store

I am so envious... our flea markets never have stuff like that...all you ever see out here is, well....fleas, and crickets, lots of crickets :-p
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Lord Pentecost

Charity shop find for £1 each, Allen West were an electrical contractor who where involved in the electrical fit out of the World War Two HMS Ark Royal. How these ended up in a Leeds charity shop is a mystery!
"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Lord Pentecost on April 03, 2019, 07:35:01 PM
How these ended up in a Leeds charity shop is a mystery!

As they specify spares, and the details of some specific bits, they were probably screwed onto a crate containing the relevant parts when the work was initially done so as to make the contents identifiable in a warehouse/storeroom, and then at some point they probably got 'half inched' by whatever sparky used the spares and who decided to keep them as a souvenir.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

morozow

Suddenly became the owner of a small "archive".

Box of abstracts and scientific papers 1930-1940s, written with a pen and typed. theme - architecture.

And still like note 20-30- ' s.

I for the sake of interest and support made one bid at auction. She was interrupted.  But later on the buyer refused, said it is not a subject. And now a box of old papers is waiting for me.  Cost ~ $ 20.

Notes not only the 20's. There are pre-war notes there. Until 1914.

https://vk.com/locus_solus?w=wall-114426022_112143_r112360

And another coworker gave a small box of glass Christmas decorations. Made in the USSR, somewhere 60-70, as far as I can tell.  I say he's wrong and it's valuable. But they're clearing space in the apartment.

Caledonian

an old soldering iron
to be repurposed for steampunk

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Caledonian on April 29, 2019, 10:57:56 AM

an old soldering iron

Lots of potential in that I should think.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Caledonian

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on May 03, 2019, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: Caledonian on April 29, 2019, 10:57:56 AM

an old soldering iron

Lots of potential in that I should think.

indeed, but i think it wont need much alteration at all

RJBowman

Another cool book:

20,000 Leagues, Charles Scribner's Sons edition.

This is a 1950's edition, but the illustrations by William James Aylward are copyrighted 1925. It has only four illustrations, but they are color plates from paintings: