News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banfili

josecou

Commenting here to follow the thread! Hopefully I can check out some flea markets where I am. I'm now a student in Santa Fe, NM, which is quite an old city. There's bound to be some good vintage stuff somewhere around here!

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Banfili on October 13, 2016, 01:32:31 PM
Nice haul, Prof Marvel!

Belated Thank You Bonfili -
more later....

Quote from: josecou on December 06, 2016, 06:07:44 AM
Commenting here to follow the thread! Hopefully I can check out some flea markets where I am. I'm now a student in Santa Fe, NM, which is quite an old city. There's bound to be some good vintage stuff somewhere around here!

Greetings My Dear Josecou and welcome to NM ! by all means check out
the Santa Fe Flea Market
the Habitat for Humanity Restore
and more I will look up for you.

Oh and you have the Festival of Lights along Canyon Road to look forward to!
https://www.newmexico.org/christmas-in-santa-fe
https://www.railyardsantafe.com/

your neighbor in East Mountains
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

josecou

Thanks Prof Marvel! I'll have to check those out!
Quick question, where can I find info on the Santa Fe Flea Market? I was searching for it, and I could only find info on one called the Tesque Flea Market. Is that the one you're referring to?
Thanks again, and sorry for my delayed response!

Prof Marvel

Quote from: josecou on December 26, 2016, 07:21:52 AM
Thanks Prof Marvel! I'll have to check those out!
Quick question, where can I find info on the Santa Fe Flea Market? I was searching for it, and I could only find info on one called the Tesque Flea Market. Is that the one you're referring to?
Thanks again, and sorry for my delayed response!

No worries, and welcome to "New Mexico time"  aka mañana

Yup it appears that the Tesuque Pueblo took over the North Side Flea Market that used to be somehow associated with the Sante Fe Opera ... at least it was off Opera Road.... but I've been wrong before LOL

You'll want to wait until milder weather, most vendors close up for the winter.

But don't forget the Canyon Road Farolitos and Bonfires

Feliz Navidad !

prof marvel

Colonel Hawthorne

Here's a nice little thing we found today:

It's about 10cm by 6cm by 6.5cm high, and the glass is very thick:

No idea of age (seems oldish) or original purpose, but I'm thinking maybe it needs a mummified baby.  Am I growing ghoulish in my old age?
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Banfili

I shouldn't think so, Colonel - sounds quite normal to me! What kind of baby would be the question!

Colonel Hawthorne

Oh, I think something nasty, don't you?

But then, most babies are a bit that way ...

Madasasteamfish

Looks like it's just some cheap (when originally bought) souvenir trinket or jewelry box, probably early 20thC? Given the French caption (according to which the image is of Port Said in Egypt, at one end of the Suez canal) it was probably aimed at French tourists.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Cora Courcelle

Perhaps it should be a mummified baby?
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Banfili

Madasasteamfish

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

von Corax

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on January 13, 2017, 11:50:02 PM
Perhaps a 'Pharaoh's finger' would be appropriate?

"This is my wife's wedding ring. She never took it off..."
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Colonel Hawthorne

Ooooh!  I like that!!

(Except she might object to the removal of her finger.)

Pharoah's finger sounds like a good option, and possibly even within my limited capabilities.

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Colonel Hawthorne on January 14, 2017, 06:48:44 AM
Pharoah's finger sounds like a good option, and possibly even within my limited capabilities.

You might be able to use jointed chicken bones from dinner, or the like.
It worked rather well for Friar Tuck.

yhs
prof marvel

Lord Pentecost

Today's charity shop and junk shop haul

A vintage camera tripod, all in brass apart from the top fitting, stands about 5ft high. I'm unsure if to keep this for photographing events or if to mount a lamp on it in my lounge.
Two Nerf Jolts £2.50 each! (these may and up in a box as a pair of dueling pistols).
A decorative thing that goes over a button in the shape of a saddle (for the Blists Hill, Wild Wild Westmiddlands World event).
Numerous fittings at 20p each
"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

LukeHogbin

Newer Nerf guns are stupidly expensive here and older models are all but non-existent as we're (as usual) about 100 years behind in trends.  ;D
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Banfili

If I had that tripod I would use it on my own camera!

LukeHogbin

If I had that tripod, I would've used it with a camera I inherited from my grandfather. It's made by Agfa, from roughly 1950s, has a sort of bellows thing on the front when you open it up and it shoots on 120 film.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

steiconi

instead of oddly thick glass, might it be rock crystal?

a mummified cat might be nice, and area-appropriate.  Or mutant octo-kitten, if you prefer.
The ancient egyptians removed the brains, heart, and other organs and stored them in canopic jars.  Seems like you might be able to work that in somehow...

Quote from: Colonel Hawthorne on January 13, 2017, 05:59:57 AM
Here's a nice little thing we found today:

It's about 10cm by 6cm by 6.5cm high, and the glass is very thick:

No idea of age (seems oldish) or original purpose, but I'm thinking maybe it needs a mummified baby.  Am I growing ghoulish in my old age?

keithjones

I picked up this vest for $5.00 at a local hospital thrift shop (yes, I AM fond of paisley!)

Today I scored some watch parts for $9.00 at a flea market.  The three watches in the upper left should yield plenty of parts which I'll put to use in SP and model projects.

Drew P

That is a nice vest, score!

Can you show a close up of the lowest piece of those 3? The "most complete" movement.
Thanks!
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

keithjones

QuoteCan you show a close up of the lowest piece of those 3? The "most complete" movement.
Thanks!

Here 'tis:

Drew P

Thank you for taking the time to do that!
The bridges look familiar and it has a French patent #, I was curious about the look of it.
Thanks again.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

groomporter

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 13, 2017, 04:33:51 PM
Perhaps it should be a mummified baby?

How about a clockwork scarab beetle?
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson